Why was Varys dressed up as a woman?

shortguy457

16 hours ago, shortguy457 said:

In Storm of Swords, in the second Tyrion chapter, it says Varys approached Tyrion looking like a woman... Why does he do this?

At first I thought you were talking about this:

The eunuch was humming tunelessly to himself as he came through the door, dressed in flowing robes of peach-colored silk and smelling of lemons. When he saw Tyrion seated by the hearth, he stopped and grew very still. "My lord Tyrion," came out in a squeak, punctuated by a nervous giggle.

I wondered why he smelled like lemons and if he had had a meeting with someone because he is usually powdered and perfumed.

As I read the chapter it seemed that you were talking about this:

"My lord." A woman sidled into the light; plump, soft, matronly, with a round pink moon of a face and heavy dark curls. Tyrion recoiled. "Is something amiss?" she asked. Varys, he realized with annoyance. "For one horrid moment I thought you'd brought me Lollys instead of Shae. Where is she?"

If that is what you are asking about, it seems to me that Varys used a disguise to sneak Shea to his quarters so that Tyrion & Shea could have a tryst.

Now I’m curious about the smelling of lemon thingy. Lol, had he been eating lemon cakes or did he have a meeting with someone since he was humming tunelessly to himself, kinda like a man with no worries.

Archived