larrytheimp

April Reads: What, fool, are you reading?!?

193 posts in this topic

Damn, there's a signing in Liverpool tomorrow I could have gone to if I'd seen it earlier. 

Yeah I hadn't known about her UK tour either. Luckily someone on the board let me know

Just finished the latest Alex Verus novel by Benedict Jacka.  I don't think any other series I've read has improved from book to book as much as this one.  Great stuff.  Next i've got the latest Pax Arcana novel lined up.  Weeeeee.

I was strong and held out, so only starting Fitz and the Fool for the first time today. Yay for more glorious Fitz-Ian angst (I assume)

I thoroughly enjoyed Hampton Sides' Blood and Thunder. Excellent narrative history of 19th C. American Southwest(New Mexico primarily) with Kit Carson and the Navajos as the centerpieces.

Posted (edited)

Finished Dawn Chapman's THE SECRET KING: LETHAO and THE SECRET KING: FIRST CONTACT. Very 1970s Battlestar Galactica, which isn't a bad thing.

Loved the covers too.

Also read M.L. Spencer's DARKSTORM which is like D&D fiction only more sex and betrayal.

Now listening to SILVER by Rhiannon Held. Kind of Patricia Briggs-ish.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

Finished the George Saunders short stories Tenth of December which was my first exposure to him.  Very intrigued and want to grab another of his short stories books.  

Going to take the plunge on The Handmaid's Tale now.  Never read it or any Atwood and wanted to try the book before trying the TV show that's getting love.

It's a short book and Atwood's writing is top-notch.  That being side I think it shows its age.  The feminism on display is very much of its time. Which isn't a bad thing, one of the reasons I enjoy reading classics is the chance to visit foreign countries.

Posted (edited)

eta: Oops, wrong thread.

Edited by beniowa

On 4/30/2017 at 9:25 PM, Spaßvogel said:

Just finished the latest Alex Verus novel by Benedict Jacka.  I don't think any other series I've read has improved from book to book as much as this one.  Great stuff.  Next i've got the latest Pax Arcana novel lined up.  Weeeeee.

The last few books have felt like chapters rather than stand-alone stories to me. This whole Richard and Council thing just drags on and on and on. Plus, the Anne thing looks like it's never going to get resolved with an honest let's sit down and talk about our relationship moment.

Finished Handmaid's Tale which I wasn't floored by but enjoyed and am going to check out the show soon.  Would definitely try the author again.

Going to try Stephen King's The Gunslinger at long last mainly because the film is coming.

On 5/7/2017 at 1:42 PM, brunhilda said:

The last few books have felt like chapters rather than stand-alone stories to me. This whole Richard and Council thing just drags on and on and on. Plus, the Anne thing looks like it's never going to get resolved with an honest let's sit down and talk about our relationship moment.

You're right, but on the bright side, he's publishing one a year pretty much, so as long as that schedule can be adhered too, I'm okay with that..

17 hours ago, Spaßvogel said:

You're right, but on the bright side, he's publishing one a year pretty much, so as long as that schedule can be adhered too, I'm okay with that..

I'm not okay with that. I want him to wrap up this story and to start telling a new one that we can care about again. Same thing with Steven Brust and his short-story "novels".