Dullest characters

5 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

I don't know if everything was a preparation for her. Varys didn't kill Kevan because he knew Dany was going to Westeros. Euron didn't send Victarion to Dany so he could aid her to get to Westeros. Bran didn't go to BR to aid Dany's conquering. The Tyrells didn't help the Lannisters to help Dany conquer Westeros, etc etc etc.

well, a lot of that we do not know for sure yet. And the rest is filler because it does not really deal with the big threat of the Others.

2 minutes ago, winter daughter said:

She made a mistake, every one does. and for now she is under his control but she also has a chance to learn politics and manipulation from the best. 

I agree. For two years she was called stupid by almost everyone. but now thanks to her new situation she is becoming more confident. We can see it clearly in her sample chapter.

Of course I give him credit for helping her, but the lie was not his idea. and she could stop after Sandor's interruption but she didn't. she tried one more time to save Dantos and she succeeded.

She stopped loving Joffery the moment he killed her father and it happened in the first book.

Sansa stared at him, seeing him for the first time. He was wearing a padded crimson doublet patterned with lions and a cloth-of-gold cape with a high collar that framed his face. She wondered how she could ever have thought him handsome. His lips were as soft and red as the worms you found after a rain, and his eyes were vain and cruel. "I hate you," she whispered.

And she has stopped being snobbish along time ago.

Why are you ignoring her growth? she has changed a lot since the first book.

Her arc is essencially about growth and mature. Done so slowly just makes the outcome more and more satisfying, at least for me. When she helped LF to put the blame at Marillion just shows how much she can adapt herself to survive. And she plans to do more.

6 minutes ago, Sea Dragon said:

well, a lot of that we do not know for sure yet. And the rest is filler because it does not really deal with the big threat of the Others.

And how she is doing something RIGHT NOW about the others. And I mean consciously not just doing things at random that result in helping with the battle against the others without her knowing.

2 minutes ago, winter daughter said:

I agree. For two years she was called stupid by almost everyone. but now thanks to her new situation she is becoming more confident. We can see it clearly in her sample chapter.

I think being another person, Alayne, has been an interesting situation for her. A couple of in-book years ago she would gasp in outrage at the suggestion of posing as a bastard. She is a highborn lady of Winterfell. Fast forward two years, she now finds solace in the identity. People are no longer trying to use her for her name/inheritance, in a small room she is overlooked, and she doesn't have to worry much about false friends because she isn't of importance. I bet it's quite refreshing after her time in King's Landing. I was surprised at how flirty she got with Hardyng at the dance.

30 minutes ago, Sea Dragon said:

She IS the center of the story for all of the books. Even when she is not in a book, people talk about her and make plans for her. Don't worry, she will get to Westeros to melt the Others.

She is mentioned a total of seven times by name in the first three books outside of her POV. All in Ned's AGOT chapters.

1 hour ago, Traverys said:

1. She... /SkipsChapter.

This and this and this. When I get to a Dany chapter, I'll put the damned book down for a week, dreading it. I'm at that point now. The best parts of Dany's entire arc are Whitebeard's and Jorah's parts. Mainly because it ties her, however loosely, back to Westeros.

I believe Dany is the fire in Ice and Fire. She will find her way out of the Dothraki situation, and beat back the Others at great cost. She will be the true knight in the story and will come to the rescue. The results will be complicated but she will eventually end the winter.

Jon may be the Icy Fire character who pulls the pieces together, but I don't know if he can survive...cough.

Ser Loras, a 10 Quentyn party would be an excellent cure for insomnia! The dragons would be invited later to break it up. Or archers?

44 minutes ago, zandru said:

Well, I keep comparing Sansa with what Arya is doing. A mere child of 8-10...

Yes, but Arya is Lyanna reincarnated. And Sansa is a little Catelyn. Even if their ages had been reversed, I think their reactions would have stayed the same. 

36 minutes ago, Sea Dragon said:

She IS the center of the story for all of the books. Even when she is not in a book, people talk about her and make plans for her. Don't worry, she will get to Westeros to melt the Others.

I'm just hoping beyond hope that the theory I read the other day comes true. Please let Jon shove longclaw through her heart to turn it into Lightbringer. Oh god, please let her die before it ends.

Just now, HaeSuse said:

Yes, but Arya is Lyanna reincarnated. And Sansa is a little Catelyn. Even if their ages had been reversed, I think their reactions would have stayed the same. 

Just as Ned say when he looks Arya, he immediately remembers his sister.

4 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

And how she is doing something RIGHT NOW about the others. And I mean consciously not just doing things at random that result in helping with the battle against the others without her knowing.

Because e Others won't even get there until she does. It will be timed that way. Her dragons will be very big and their fires will be even hotter with the age. And her warriors will be more blooded then.

3 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

She is mentioned a total of seven times by name in the first three books outside of her POV. All in Ned's AGOT chapters.

Because then not all main POV characters knew she was still alive yet. Her story grew and moved to the front of the story.

1 minute ago, Sea Dragon said:

Because then not all main POV characters knew she was still alive yet. Her story grew and moved to the front of the story.

So she wasn't centre of the story for those books?

3 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

I'm just hoping beyond hope that the theory I read the other day comes true. Please let Jon shove longclaw through her heart to turn it into Lightbringer. Oh god, please let her die before it ends.

I never saw that theory so I can't say to how it is, but knowing what the author has made of her in the story I don't think that will happen.

2 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

I would prefer one of her dragons eat her, but I think neither outcome is going to happen.  She's a "hero" and will probably save the world along with Jon.  

5 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Ser Loras, a 10 Quentyn party would be an excellent cure for insomnia! The dragons would be invited later to break it up. Or archers?

Knifes and throats. I can't stand the condenscending nature of Quentyn and his feeling of entitlement. He's so freaking dumb thinking he can simply show up at Meereen saying he has a bunch of unkown warriors and asking Dany to marry him. Like... ugh.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

I would prefer one of her dragons eat her, but I think neither outcome is going to happen.  She's a "hero" and will probably save the world along with Jon.  

Never going to happen hahaha. But wishful thinking can't hurt anyone once in a while. 

33 minutes ago, Sea Dragon said:

Everything  is happening is in preparation for her to arrive. We are being set up for a big reveal of many houses and people being very loyal to her. Daenerys training over in Essos will be handy when she is ready to reconquer nad rule.

It could happen. I sure hope not. But it could. Maybe she is matter, Jon is anti-matter, and they explode upon meeting, annihilating everything north of Winterfell, so that that entire stupid plotline can just end, and we can solve the riddle of Stark/Lannister.

1 minute ago, HaeSuse said:

It could happen. I sure hope not. But it could. Maybe she is matter, Jon is anti-matter, and they explode upon meeting, annihilating everything north of Winterfell, so that that entire stupid plotline can just end, and we can solve the riddle of Stark/Lannister.

Wow, my chemistry teacher would love that.

Speaking of "dull". I'd just like to say that, to me as a reader (completely opinion), the entire series would be made far more enjoyable if the entire "Others" plotline just disappeared, Dany and Visy had died during Robert's Rebeliion, no zombies ever came into the picture, and the ever-loving Viking wannabes were written out of it.

I adore the re-imagining of the War of the Roses, and really get bored by the rest of it. Dragons be damned. 

Archived