Meera of Tarth

"Not-so-main" characters appreciation thread -Season 7 [Book Spoilers]

65 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Rhollo said:

So Sansa can't convince the northerners because she knowns too little about them and has to reconnect (an argument I don't really buy btw. she still lived in the north for the biggest part of her life), but Davos can, because people from various places are pretty much the same in nature, anyway.

That sounds contradictory.

Because Sansa has more southern mentality, thematically wanted to get out of the North and be in King's Landing. She lost the sight of who Northerners are. Is that so tough to understand? Now she has to reconnect to the North. Davos is better at convincing people and not sure why you're trying to downplay him or quetion something that made sense.

I don't deny that Jon is leading on the battlefield, I think he is doing a very bad job at it. Quick temper, slow mind, indeed. He acted pretty stupid in Hardhome, too. As Karsi rightfully pointed out, he should have fled first and stayed out of the fight , because if he dies, they are all doomed.

In WotW, he did fine, but Thorne was the guy in charge there.

In the books Jon is a lot more tactician, on the show more a warrior. But he leads by an example and given circumstances pretty good. Jon fiht his own battle, this is what leading by an example means. Not running like a coward. No, Jon took over defences and it was who saved them. Sam said it during LC election.

So either a gaping plothole or an incredibly stupid character, just to have a few seconds of drama.

Tell that to D&D and their writing.

Oh, two other characters I don't think I mentioned above.

Missandei and Grey Worm.

In the books, they are just kind of "there," but in the show they've been developed a lot more, including with additional scenes and sub-plots that are not in the books.  I like that a lot, cuz I think they're worthy of the extra attention.  Missandei is VERY smart, and Grey Worm is cool, as the leader of the Unsullied, with depth of character all his own.

Some people complain about the extra screen time they've gotten in the show, but not me.

19 hours ago, Cron said:

Oh, two other characters I don't think I mentioned above.

Missandei and Grey Worm.

In the books, they are just kind of "there," but in the show they've been developed a lot more, including with additional scenes and sub-plots that are not in the books.  I like that a lot, cuz I think they're worthy of the extra attention.  Missandei is VERY smart, and Grey Worm is cool, as the leader of the Unsullied, with depth of character all his own.

Some people complain about the extra screen time they've gotten in the show, but not me.

I'm glad that they've fleshed out these two characters who I hardly noticed in the books, although I hate the introduction of a romantic subplot between the characters, which strikes me as incredibly cliché and contrived, as if they had to do this because Daario made a comment about Grey Worm liking Missandei (I actually thought he was saying Grey Worm liked Dany).

18 hours ago, CaptainTheo said:

I'm glad that they've fleshed out these two characters who I hardly noticed in the books, although I hate the introduction of a romantic subplot between the characters, which strikes me as incredibly cliché and contrived, as if they had to do this because Daario made a comment about Grey Worm liking Missandei (I actually thought he was saying Grey Worm liked Dany).

Hmmmm.

Interesting.  Maybe it is cliche, but I thought they were a good match, cuz they are both really good at what they do, and they see each other a lot cuz they are both high in Dany's chain of command.  They are also both very serious and dedicated to what they do, so an attraction between them seemed natural to me.

I was mildly surprised at first, cuz of course Grey Worm has had major damage done to his genitals (the exact nature of which is apparently unknown, or at least, unknown by me) but maybe Missandei doesn't care about that, I suppose.   Maybe she's not really interested in sex anyway, and views the relationship as more of a deep platonic "love," if there is such a thing.

I guess in that sense, it did not seem cliche to me, but rather, an exploration of fairly unusual circumstances (a "romantic" relationship between a man and a woman that can never be fully sexual).