Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GAROVORKIN

What Are Your Favorite Weird Tales ?

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Jo498 said:

of course!

I have one fat pbck volume of Hope Hodgson but being not really enthusiastic about the two I read (ghost pirates and the one with the shipwreck in the country of strange monsters that pound things to pulp) and not sure I can take the archaic style, I hesitated about trying the othes, especially "The Night Land".

If you going to read anything by Hodgson , The Night Land is  not the book to start with.    

Adrift on the Haunted Seas. The  Best Short Stories of William Hope Hodgson   lots of good stuff in that one 

Or The House on he Borderland    which is a superb book.B) 

Edited by GAROVORKIN

The Pear-Shaped Man is a good choice.

I'd also recommend the Colours Out of Space, and The Rats in the Walls by Lovecraft.

3 hours ago, Jo498 said:

I have one fat pbck volume of Hope Hodgson but being not really enthusiastic about the two I read (ghost pirates and the one with the shipwreck in the country of strange monsters that pound things to pulp) and not sure I can take the archaic style, I hesitated about trying the othes, especially "The Night Land".

The Boats of the Glen Carrig.

If you are irritated by the style, steer clear of The Night Land. We are talking a book where even H.P. Lovecraft tired of the prose.

I have the Gollancz volume with the four novels; I read the Ghost pirates and the boats of the Glen Carrig (I don't even recall the latter as all that archaic in style). I will try at least House on the Borderland at some stage but I am sure I can take the style of the Night Land. (I've read some books with archaic (Ouroboros) or  dialectal (Welsh's Filth) language and I did manage, but it is far harder than ordinary English).

ISBN-10: 0575073721

The Jaunt by Stephen King. Pitch perfect short story with an extremely fucked up ending.

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The Jaunt by Stephen King. Pitch perfect short story with an extremely fucked up ending.

An excellent choice  and one of Stephen King's  best short stories. B)

Edited by GAROVORKIN

3 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

An excellent choice  and one of Stephen King's  best short stories. B)

One of my favs for sure. Would throw Quitter's Inc as well, but I'm not sure it qualifies as weird exactly. More of a novel premise than weird, I spose.

The Girl With Hungry Eyes.   by Fritz Leiber   adapted for Rod Serling's Night Gallery.

Thus I Refute Beelzy by John Collier. Perhaps the most terrifying (and loyal) imaginary friend a young boy might care to have.

Posted (edited)

The Thing on the Rooftop   By Robert E. Howard.

Edited by GAROVORKIN

Fishhead by Irving Cobb 

Men Without Bones by Gerald Kersh 

The Vaults of You-Vombus  by Clark Ashton Smith . It one off the literary  inspirations for the the 1979 film Alien . Richard Corben  id a graphic novel adaptation of it.