Football, Footie, Ball, FOOTBALL!

The Inquisitor

Why, yes, that Taylor tackle was horrible...

But look what that bloody bastard of Recreativo Huelva did to Robben Saturday.

Almost the mirror from the Taylor-Edu incident, only that Robben was lucky enough not to fall with all his weight on his leg.

Now he's got minimum 4 weeks off, and he can count himself fortunate.

That bastard from Alvarez deserves a 10 match suspension.

Given that most people here seem able to make their own minds up I try not to judge the board by the levels of media/general public reaction. This thread is of course exempted from that standard.

I nearly came in to call Chelsea a bunch of hacking bastards, but I managed to curb my hysteria when i saw nobody else had mentioned it. But yes, they are hacking bastards. Lampard maybe didn't deserve a red, but it was a nasty sort of cynical foul, he took the opportunity to scrape his studs across Boa Morte's stomach on their way down, just for the hell of it. I'm not sure the reaction to Makelele was much different to Taylor in general. I didn't notice any rabid condemnation of Taylor amongst the press or the punditry.

But this thread should indeed reserve the right to compare such tackles to drunk driving or rape. It's the only way they'll learn.

Almost the mirror from the Taylor-Edu incident, only that Robben was lucky enough not to fall with all his weight on his leg.

Actually I think this was worse than the Taylor incident. I only saw the Taylor incident once from the 'good' angle, but it looked far more accidental than Huelva's tackle.

A good weekend for me I think.

Bristol Rovers get a last minute winner against Millwall, Man Utd reduce Arsenal's lead to one point, Ajax CT stay four points clear at the top and Newcastle look like prime relegation candidates now, despite apparently playing half decently for once.

I'm also super excited for Champions League second legs.

What's the deal with Bristol Rovers? They suck! Bristol City are now top of the Championship and just a few wins away from the Prem! Whereas Rovers will be back in League Two in a couple of years.

Ick about that foul on Robben. Ick indeed. Recklessness at best, at worst very very bad ( btw heard Galliani´s complains about Kaká being targeted on purpose consistently? The comparison to van Basten sort of had me fuming about another historical instance about which I am still very mad. I don´t know if it is really true, if they are doing it to Kaká, I have not particularly noticed when i watch Milan but I suppose it has been known to happen, through history. Still, that is not Milan´s real problem in serie A)

Intent is hard to prove. It astounds me a bit that almost all of us who would normally be not naïve, for lack of a better word, when it comes to football are so often "sure" about somebody really did not meaning to, or just being a good lad, or doing something on purpose or by saying A they really mean B, or what went through the head of somebody they don´t know in like 2 seconds when influenced by all sort of (natural) hormones which happen during a game. It´s like common sense it´s completely thrown out of the window to say we are sure. We are not sure. we don´t know for SURE what was on their heads, if they are innocent angels or bastard demons ( realizing this does not stop me from indulging on being 99.9% sure about Goikoetxea and Harald Schumacher. and maybe a couple other instances). Only solution is the sensible thing, the boring thing, punish taking into account evidence and consequences and previous history. And for the good of the sport, and more importantly for just basic fairness it´s important to protect physical integrity of players from being destroyed by cheating. And it is cheating, and its damages are far worse than a record of a goal or not, a title or not, which in a few years, won´t be that important. But careers can have been destroyed and that might mean a harder life financial, people will live in physical pain forever because of things like this. This past month I have been pretty sad about Ronaldo, particularly he had a outburst that at the moment he was not sure if he was ever going to be able to just walk along his son nevermind play football. Hope he is wrong and is able to walk, if he plays football again or not hope he gets well enough that it will come to be a choice, and if chooses no, it will be understandable.

On other news, portugal´s two CL seem sort of almost sorted now. Is there any competition for União de Leiria as probably the worst team in Europe ? 8 points in 21 games.

Cassano is looking scarily out of control.Sampdoria might play in the uefa CUP because of him though. But really, he is looking to be less and less in control of himself ( and he ends up suffering most of all for it, by the looks of it).

Loras, I suppose you have seen Carlos Martins´ play, how did he do? There is talk he might be called for the euro, our midfield is, well you know how Deco is right now. Pelé is interesting but much too young. There are other options, but maybe CM will get called at least as a sub. I think it unlikely he will ever score free kicks for Portugal though ;)

What's the deal with Bristol Rovers? They suck! Bristol City are now top of the Championship and just a few wins away from the Prem! Whereas Rovers will be back in League Two in a couple of years.

Both of my brothers are City fans, albeit in absentia. I'm hoping they don't go up, but if they do, I'm hoping they take some spankings.

I'm just really chuffed that Bristol Rovers are having a wonderful FA Cup run, and with a continuation of their good form could push for playoffs, as if they win three of their four games in hand they would be in the playoff spots. I think it is doable, the team is on a bit of a high at the moment, and if they can come through this period of time with a good record, I think we'll be in good shape.

Also note the lack of Bristol City shirts in Hot Fuzz.

Just to add, thanks for the information Calibandar, it´s curious to see who would suceed van Basten. The under-21 manager(s?) any shot? After all, a nice record in the last couple years, sometimes it´s worth a try. And if Rijkaard is free would he be a popular chance?

Loras, you might want to avert your eyes, I have heard stories that Robinho and Raul really do not get along much, that Raul wanted to get rid of all brazillians. The story has now made it to El País which gives it some official status. Robinho is, of course, maturing very nicely and saving them countless times so far this season...

I nearly came in to call Chelsea a bunch of hacking bastards, but I managed to curb my hysteria when i saw nobody else had mentioned it.
Don't let that stop you! In fact, you get extra points for ranting about things that nobody else has mentioned yet.

Ick about that foul on Robben. Ick indeed. Recklessness at best, at worst very very bad ( btw heard Galliani´s complains about Kaká being targeted on purpose consistently? The comparison to van Basten sort of had me fuming about another historical instance about which I am still very mad. I don´t know if it is really true, if they are doing it to Kaká, I have not particularly noticed when i watch Milan but I suppose it has been known to happen, through history. Still, that is not Milan´s real problem in serie A)

Well, technically gifted and determinant players normally know that that is the prize they pay... but as long as it is kept within the limits and with fair play, I'm alright with hard tackles and rough defenses... that's why the refs are there to put people in the book and send them off if needed. Of course its unfair, because gifted players do not know how to hit back when targetted and usually get sent off over some sloppy and clumsy tackle.

I was watching a documentary about this certain about this balding fellow whom I idol worship and used to wear France's number 10 jersey and the number 5 all white Madrid kit ;) and he said that whenever he dribble past 2 or 3 guys he knew he was going to get kicked by the 4th lad, and that players had to accept as long as it was with fair play that they were going to hit the ground ocasionally. He did not give it a second thought

Intent is hard to prove. It astounds me a bit that almost all of us who would normally be not naïve, for lack of a better word, when it comes to football are so often "sure" about somebody really did not meaning to, or just being a good lad, or doing something on purpose or by saying A they really mean B, or what went through the head of somebody they don´t know in like 2 seconds when influenced by all sort of (natural) hormones which happen during a game. It´s like common sense it´s completely thrown out of the window to say we are sure. We are not sure. we don´t know for SURE what was on their heads, if they are innocent angels or bastard demons ( realizing this does not stop me from indulging on being 99.9% sure about Goikoetxea and Harald Schumacher. and maybe a couple other instances).

Yes, but you know it... I mean it is true what you say that we cannot know what goes on inside their heads, but I think we do not doubt for a second that that Alvarez fellow wanted to do harm, and that both Goiko and Harald Scumacher went deliberately to hunt down Maradona and Battiston (especially when the stands of San Mamés kept on singing "Goiko ataca, Maradona es una caca!" -Goiko attack , Maradona is crap- and that Schumacher was out of his mind that day and kept on challenging Six, Rocheteau and others that night) or that Roy Keane deliberately tried to harm that poor norwegian lad years ago... you just see it... I mean, we all know by now enough footie to know when a guy is trying to hurt some other.... well, most of the times...

Loras, I suppose you have seen Carlos Martins´ play, how did he do? There is talk he might be called for the euro, our midfield is, well you know how Deco is right now. Pelé is interesting but much too young. There are other options, but maybe CM will get called at least as a sub. I think it unlikely he will ever score free kicks for Portugal though ;)

Oh yes, I was going to comment you on that but I forgot... I had seen him around in some matches and had made a mental note of him putting him on the "good footballers" list ;) And he had a damn fine match against us, the lad has a lovely touch with his right foot... his goal was lovely (a lovely touch, the ball opening and taking a delicious curve as it went down... quality there!) , but I was taking pleasure whenever he took a corner kick, a foul or a cross with that right foot of his... for instance his cross in their first goal was excellent

Oh, and I had not heard about Robinho and Raúl... let's hope it is but rumours...

Well, technically gifted and determinant players normally know that that is the prize they pay... but as long as it is kept within the limits and with fair play, I'm alright with hard tackles and rough defenses... that's why the refs are there to put people in the book and send them off if needed. Of course its unfair, because gifted players do not know how to hit back when targetted and usually get sent off over some sloppy and clumsy tackle.

some do, some don´t. The guy you mention just afterwards sure reacted. And not just that instance, there were quite a few others. I am not sure but he got at least two red cards in world cups, which is something. None of us ( I hope. ok, most of us) are ever completely OK with hard tackles and rough defenses everybody has got a line somewhere. Ideally it should be the same line whether it involves players of other teams or players of your team, but the major problem is defining a line for judges, referees, it seems to vary from country to country. You know when people go two footed planchazo style? in some places they think it ok!

I was watching a documentary about this certain about this balding fellow whom I idol worship and used to wear France's number 10 jersey and the number 5 all white Madrid kit ;) and he said that whenever he dribble past 2 or 3 guys he knew he was going to get kicked by the 4th lad, and that players had to accept as long as it was with fair play that they were going to hit the ground ocasionally. He did not give it a second thought

He is probably not the best example ever of turning the other cheek. And he was around 185 tall, not too weedy and he was not injury prone and I suppose it was lucky (his and everybody´s) that he never had the sort of injury Marco Van Basten or Ronaldo had.

Yes, but you know it... I mean it is true what you say that we cannot know what goes on inside their heads, but I think we do not doubt for a second that that Alvarez fellow wanted to do harm, and that both Goiko and Harald Scumacher went deliberately to hunt down Maradona and Battiston (especially when the stands of San Mamés kept on singing "Goiko ataca, Maradona es una caca!" -Goiko attack , Maradona is crap- and that Schumacher was out of his mind that day and kept on challenging Six, Rocheteau and others that night) or that Roy Keane deliberately tried to harm that poor norwegian lad years ago... you just see it... I mean, we all know by now enough footie to know when a guy is trying to hurt some other.... well, most of the times...

Problem is fans of Recreativo or whatever would probably swear and be sure Alvarez or this other guy did not mean to cause any harm to Robben or eduardo, or that Robben had just dribbled 3 times and he was just getting payback or something :( Will this case be looked at by the league? I am for punishment taking into account not just intention but consequences because it makes maybe defenders a little bit more aware that physical harm to others might rebound on them as well, instead of being cleared as some sort of routine. If intentions were all that mattered in football, we should count a lot of well meant shots at goal as goals as well.

Oh yes, I was going to comment you on that but I forgot... I had seen him around in some matches and had made a mental note of him putting him on the "good footballers" list ;) And he had a damn fine match against us, the lad has a lovely touch with his right foot... his goal was lovely (a lovely touch, the ball opening and taking a delicious curve as it went down... quality there!) , but I was taking pleasure whenever he took a corner kick, a foul or a cross with that right foot of his... for instance his cross in their first goal was excellent.

ah, good, thanks. his relationship with Sporting´s manager was complicated, Paulo Bento is a former player, not long ago, and honestly their internal politics are like poison, radioactivity contaminating a lot of things. So if he is lucky and fit, Carlos Martins might get a chance at be one of the 23 in the euro, Scolari likes hard workers and to balance things out. But as I said, poor guy, he would be very low in the hierarchy to take free kicks.

Oh, and I had not heard about Robinho and Raúl... let's hope it is but rumours...

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/bu...elpepidep_2/Tes

you think it is credible? I have no clue if stuff they say like Robinho never celebrating with Raul is true or not - could be disproved or changed with time. Winning big stuff does wonders for team spirit. I would agree with Schuster, btw, right now he seems a bit more crucial to you guys than Raúl.

teresa,

postiga scored a nice header last night against AEK athens. we drew 1-1 and stayed at the top of the table. he came in as a sub around 65-70 min. he looks better and better but manucho still havent played a single minute and our other striker is simply irreplaceable.

I am worried about Adebayor's new haircut. His hair before the cut was horrible, but now that its cut he can't hit the broadside of a barn. He should have scored against AC Milan in the dying seconds, he missed easy ones against BCFC, and was crap again over the weekend. I hope he takes a lot of Rogaine tonight so he can regain his form tomorrow for the second leg against AC Milan.

1:1 FTW!!

Pod, sort of a new new new...new Pelé. There have been quite a few with that name, I can give you examples - in some cases hommage (typical thing for kids which gets taken into adult play) in some cases no because there are few french and african players have had it as a totally legal last name. Also in Portuguese language two syllable nicknames are very frequent and some two syllables are more likely than others.

teresa,

postiga scored a nice header last night against AEK athens. we drew 1-1 and stayed at the top of the table. he came in as a sub around 65-70 min. he looks better and better but manucho still havent played a single minute and our other striker is simply irreplaceable.

Oh, good to hear thanks. I am fond of him, well, I am when he is not playing for Porto ;) he has a little bit of everything a striker has, technically complete, except maybe his confidence was destroyed and he has not yet had a chance to really play game after game. What do you mean your other striker is irreplaceable, he is not injured? you mean he has earned an automatic starting place, so Manucho or Hélder will have to compete to substitute him? or you normally use 2 strikers?

and here we go again, again, ouch ouch. Hey, maybe it will be us banned from international football again. Not Mateus again ( not sure how that is progressing with appeals and all, there was talk of sending it to european court to decide who can arbitrate over sports courts), this time it´s Portugal´s regional federations delivering a petition to be forwarded to FIFA and UEFA complaining of a new law which basically takes away some of their votes, taking the majority vote away from them. Basically the same situation as Spain. So Loras, if they ban us both, wanna play a mini tournament this summer? we play you, then you play us, then maybe a final, best out of 3? or wait, better idea, you guys ask Argentina, we will invite Brasil, let´s have a mini tournament, 6 games. that would teach them, our party would be smaller yeah but much cooler

my bad, i meant that we usually play with 2 strikers and one of them is always Dimitris Salpingidis ( didnt really want to make you read that name, honest) . postiga, manucho and the others have one spot to compete for. postiga gave an interview today in a portoguese paper and said he was very happy here and he likes the team.. the usuall stuff.

Peseiro btw is employing extremely defensive-conservative tactics and it doesnt sits well with the fans even though we are at the top of the table.

and here we go again, again, ouch ouch. Hey, maybe it will be us banned from international football again. Not Mateus again ( not sure how that is progressing with appeals and all, there was talk of sending it to european court to decide who can arbitrate over sports courts), this time it´s Portugal´s regional federations delivering a petition to be forwarded to FIFA and UEFA complaining of a new law which basically takes away some of their votes, taking the majority vote away from them. Basically the same situation as Spain. So Loras, if they ban us both, wanna play a mini tournament this summer? we play you, then you play us, then maybe a final, best out of 3? or wait, better idea, you guys ask Argentina, we will invite Brasil, let´s have a mini tournament, 6 games. that would teach them, our party would be smaller yeah but much cooler

:lol:

Why, its a good idea... we can always say that we finished in the top 4 of an international competition for the first time in 25 years... :P

Or, maybe a better idea... if our FA's get banned for the next Eurocup we join our two FA's, and create a joint Iberian league with Benfica, Sporting, Oporto, Madrid, Atletico, Barça, Valencia, Sevilla etc.... more excitement, more money for both of us... also, we can compete together in international footie as Iberia and we'll have in the same side Ronaldo, Casillas, Raul, Deco, Fabregas, Sergio Ramos, Carvalho and Pepe. I have it all figured out, we will dress with our red jersey and your old green shorts, we'll use your all black kit as th away one (because its niftier than our current yellow), we play a fussion of a fado and a flamenco as our anthem in portuñol, and we give our fans at the stadium some tapas of bacalahu and tortilla along with some Porto, Sherry and Rioja... now, that makes us clearer favourites than Brazil in any WC :P I just guess you'll have to accept HM the King as top figure in the authorities box, but don't worry he's a jolly good fellow so you won't mind. Alright we can compromise something else in order to make that up... say, we build a stadium in Olivenza for our lads to play in? Nah, I think it will be better to rotate periodically, I also want our lads to play in the Bernabeu, La Luz and that marvel you have that has both ends open and the one with a quarry. (is it Coimbra?). I don't know, would you settle for Felipao as manager? Or even Futre as chairman of the Iberian FA? ;)

On a more serious note, it seems the Spanish FA (RFEF) has complied with FIFA and won't have elections. However, the govt has the last word... so I don't know what will happen. I just think that Blatter should not meddle where he is not called, and that the current RFEF supremo ought to resign at once in order not to further harm Spanish footie (it happens that Villar, the supremo here is the FIFA vicepresident and that bloody Sepp Blatter's right hand man, so Blatter is burning the vessels in order to back his friend. Idiots that both of them are)

Why, its a good idea... we can always say that we finished in the top 4 of an international competition for the first time in 25 years... :P

count youth tournaments as well :) But really, would not our summer cup be so much nicer than whatever they were trying to set up in the alps? prettier stadiums as well, I have seen the best swiss stadium, theoretically second best of the whole tournament and honestly :thumbsdown: not good. so, if they ban us, let´s have a much cooler partier with prettier people :leer:

Or, maybe a better idea... if our FA's get banned for the next Eurocup we join our two FA's, and create a joint Iberian league with Benfica, Sporting, Oporto, Madrid, Atletico, Barça, Valencia, Sevilla etc.... more excitement, more money for both of us...

no can do, we need our league to solve old historical issues. Historical issues almost all of them deriding from football in past years, but it´s fine as it is.

also, we can compete together in international footie as Iberia and we'll have in the same side Ronaldo, Casillas, Raul, Deco, Fabregas, Sergio Ramos, Carvalho and Pepe. I have it all figured out, we will dress with our red jersey and your old green shorts, we'll use your all black kit as th away one (because its niftier than our current yellow), we play a fussion of a fado and a flamenco as our anthem in portuñol, and we give our fans at the stadium some tapas of bacalahu and tortilla along with some Porto, Sherry and Rioja... now, that makes us clearer favourites than Brazil in any WC :P I just guess you'll have to accept HM the King as top figure in the authorities box, but don't worry he's a jolly good fellow so you won't mind. Alright we can compromise something else in order to make that up... say, we build a stadium in Olivenza for our lads to play in? Nah, I think it will be better to rotate periodically, I also want our lads to play in the Bernabeu, La Luz and that marvel you have that has both ends open and the one with a quarry. (is it Coimbra?). I don't know, would you settle for Felipao as manager? Or even Futre as chairman of the Iberian FA? ;)

Ok, dear, that is not how countries *work*. We are fine as we are, though I would not say no if you wanted to giftwrap and mail us Andres Palop ( you could have hmm, Simão?). I sort of got a crush on Palop, football crush of course and think he is seriously underrated, I guess they sort of got a minor treble (or is there a name for 4 trophies) last season, european supercup, spanish supercup, spanish cup and a repeat of the uefa cup last season and he had a lot to do with it. Palop, seriously underrated. I would sort of prefer him to Buffon to be honest.

Stadium is Braga, which IIRC you were sort of nagging me in 2001 or 2002 about the euro stadiums being late, that was the stadium which was late because it was very complicated technically. But all done on time, and it is pretty isn´t it? IMO, from what I have seen the most beautiful small-to-medium stadium in the world. I think the ministry of culture had it classified as cultural protected architecture about a year after it was done ;) apart from the national stadium it´s the only one with that protection!

Futre, nice touch, but we would probably insist on Luís Figo ;) go on, support the motion, it would go down well in Barcelona, no? We never really *understood* what the fuss was about, it was not his country nor would ever be anything like it. But seriously, heard some speculation that he might be prepared to eventually become a president of the federation. A manager, he seems to have no interest, but politicking and ornamenting ocasions is just his thing. Scolari wants him to go to the euro and told the federation to find him some official position. If we are not banned of course :) My theory is, if Maniche is going, then Figo is necessary to keep things under control. Wise of Maniche´s agent this recent transfer.

On a more serious note, it seems the Spanish FA (RFEF) has complied with FIFA and won't have elections. However, the govt has the last word... so I don't know what will happen. I just think that Blatter should not meddle where he is not called, and that the current RFEF supremo ought to resign at once in order not to further harm Spanish footie (it happens that Villar, the supremo here is the FIFA vicepresident and that bloody Sepp Blatter's right hand man, so Blatter is burning the vessels in order to back his friend. Idiots that both of them are)

idiots yep. I don´t know how it will go with us, second different ocasion in about 2 years, it´s something. Sooner or later, some action will really be made, something decided, because logically, emotionally, a sovereign state can not accept that something like sport is above their national law. Despite all we call FIFA (and correctly often) they are still probably not as corrupt as some states, at least they hardly ever commit human rights abuses, so in a way I can see their point about jealously guarding their sport. But from the point of view of a western nation, football is involving more and more money, more and more attention, there are all sorts of stock exchange laws as well to follow, there is only ever going to be more court cases. Sooner or later, it will be a big tussle, and it will depend on whom FIFA tussles with. Any one nation they can coerce. The european court and commision OTOH is something different. Hopefully the show-off I can sort of feel coming sometimes in the future about law and jurisdiction won´t be with us.

my bad, i meant that we usually play with 2 strikers and one of them is always Dimitris Salpingidis ( didnt really want to make you read that name, honest) .

Hey, I wanted to read it, we got a few greeks round here, and quite a few more even harder names. a bit of everything round these parts. BTW with all this story of hard fouls and punishment Katsouranis and Anderson has been in my mind, if you know about that :dunno:

postiga, manucho and the others have one spot to compete for. postiga gave an interview today in a portoguese paper and said he was very happy here and he likes the team.. the usuall stuff.

Peseiro btw is employing extremely defensive-conservative tactics and it doesnt sits well with the fans even though we are at the top of the table.

Ah, Peseiro, sounds familiar. He nearly won the UEFA cup, nearly, it has got to be said. About Postiga, I believe him about being happy, he wants to play, a better chance, at Porto he was stuck and going no where. And I would guess getting a call up for the euro is very important for Helder Postiga and his career, if he plays and scores he will. Other rivals are Nuno Gomes ( please please be healthy. at least he got experience and he moves well), Makukula who might find himself in sort of Postiga´s old position at Porto and Jon´s Hugo Almeida who has been getting chances but not sure if it is really working for Portugal. Postiga has got a chance- it was sort of decent for Porto to loan him this half season, though of course, also self serving, it would raise his price if he got called to the euro. For a striker to come into his own, he is not old yet.

Archived