College Basketball 2

Rhom

If you go back early in the first college basketball thread... early in the season I made a post about Billy Gillispie's coaching job at Kentucky (which was admittedly horrible at the time) where I questioned the kind of work it took to win Big XII Coach of the Year. Well, now he's been named co-coach of the year with Bruce Pearl for the SEC. After his amazing turnaround job, he definitely deserved it and my early mis-givings (legit at the time!!!) have certainly turned out to be nothing. Of interesting note is that he has now been named conference coach of the year 5 times out of the last 6 years when you go back to his last year at UTEP and his 3 years at aTm.

In a non-college basketball related story... last night at the high school region tourney finals, I saw the most amazing student section I've ever seen. The school is a smaller city school in a county that has a city and county school district. The student section was probably about 20 rows deep and 20 students across. They had several planned "events" that the crowd performed together that were absolutely amazing. First, there was one guy who got them all to chant and sway together... hard to describe, but a very good opening act. What really wowed me were the other two "events" they performed. They had the entire section sit down and the rows started swaying back and forth in opposite directions (i.e. front row goes right, second row goes left, and third row goes right, etc) while the band starts playing "Wipe Out;" the mascot and a couple other guys stand up out of the crowd and look like they're surfing! Very well coordinated. Lastly, they had an "event" that they performed twice after the other team (the one I was cheering for) had to call a time-out to stop a run. In that one, a guy put on a sparring helmet and boxing gloves. He then jumped around and took a big swing "at" the crowd who all swayed with the punch... then he took a big swing from the other side "at" the crowd who all swayed the other way with the punch... finally he took a couple steps back and wound up a huge uppercut which he unleashed "at" the crowd who all fell backwards and sat down. Pretty amazing to see fans of a school actually put together coordinated "cheers" like that. At most of the high schools around here, the student section is pretty small unless its a big game... its obvious that Bardstown must have a good turnout for all their games if their fans are that coordinated.

If you go back early in the first college basketball thread... early in the season I made a post about Billy Gillispie's coaching job at Kentucky (which was admittedly horrible at the time) where I questioned the kind of work it took to win Big XII Coach of the Year. Well, now he's been named co-coach of the year with Bruce Pearl for the SEC. After his amazing turnaround job, he definitely deserved it and my early mis-givings (legit at the time!!!) have certainly turned out to be nothing. Of interesting note is that he has now been named conference coach of the year 5 times out of the last 6 years when you go back to his last year at UTEP and his 3 years at aTm.

In a non-college basketball related story... last night at the high school region tourney finals, I saw the most amazing student section I've ever seen. The school is a smaller city school in a county that has a city and county school district. The student section was probably about 20 rows deep and 20 students across. They had several planned "events" that the crowd performed together that were absolutely amazing. First, there was one guy who got them all to chant and sway together... hard to describe, but a very good opening act. What really wowed me were the other two "events" they performed. They had the entire section sit down and the rows started swaying back and forth in opposite directions (i.e. front row goes right, second row goes left, and third row goes right, etc) while the band starts playing "Wipe Out;" the mascot and a couple other guys stand up out of the crowd and look like they're surfing! Very well coordinated. Lastly, they had an "event" that they performed twice after the other team (the one I was cheering for) had to call a time-out to stop a run. In that one, a guy put on a sparring helmet and boxing gloves. He then jumped around and took a big swing "at" the crowd who all swayed with the punch... then he took a big swing from the other side "at" the crowd who all swayed the other way with the punch... finally he took a couple steps back and wound up a huge uppercut which he unleashed "at" the crowd who all fell backwards and sat down. Pretty amazing to see fans of a school actually put together coordinated "cheers" like that. At most of the high schools around here, the student section is pretty small unless its a big game... its obvious that Bardstown must have a good turnout for all their games if their fans are that coordinated.

Billy G SUCKS!!! ;)

Billy G SUCKS!!! ;)

3 months ago I would have been hard pressed to disagree with that. :thumbsup:

How about those WKU Hilltoppers!!! Representing the state well in the Big Dance with the auto bid from the Sun Belt. I'm a Murray State grad, but my wife is a Topper... so I'm required to cheer for them when they aren't playing the Racers.

I'm interested to see how Syracuse performs today in the BigE tourney.

WKU did not... however the team they beat did. Middle Tennesee State beat South Alabama in the semis. Most talking heads have South Alabama in regardless. So the Sun Belt is a two bid league instead of a one bid. There had been some talk that WKU would be on the bubble, but mostly on the wrong side of the bubble.

Edit: Looking at the scoreboard over on ESPN it looks like Villanova is up on Syracuse.

Carmelo Anthony looks better and better every day for being able to hand that loser Boeheim a ring. He should keep a picture of Carmelo on his night-stand and kiss it goodnight every evening.

Yep... Syracuse is out of the BigE tourney and I don't see how they have a chance in hell at being in the NCAA tourney.

That Kansas team and the one in '97 are the two great missed opportunities that I recall over the last 15 or so years. Both of them should have had that thing sewn up and the ball just didn't bounce their way.

I had Kansas going all the way in what was I believe 2004. Wayne Simien was supposed to be the Messiah to lead them to the promised land despite the three seed. I was eliminated from winning the pool in record time that year.

Are you guys trying to send into a spiraling depression! Rehashing those old defeats... and now CBS loves to play Warrick blocking Mike Lee's shot (it was going in!) on their MM promos.

I had Kansas going all the way in what was I believe 2004. Wayne Simien was supposed to be the Messiah to lead them to the promised land despite the three seed. I was eliminated from winning the pool in record time that year.

Not even I had KU going all the way in '04! We stumbled down the stretch, mainly do to nagging injuries (especially Langford), and it was pretty sweet that we made the E8 that year (would have made the F4 if not for a bad call that fouled Langford out with like five minutes to go).

Are you guys trying to send into a spiraling depression! Rehashing those old defeats... and now CBS loves to play Warrick blocking Mike Lee's shot (it was going in!) on their MM promos.

Welcome to every Kentucky fan's hell. Missouri fans from '95 are also generally less than pleased with those promos.

Forgot to comment on this earlier...

3 months ago I would have been hard pressed to disagree with that. :thumbsup:

I do remember that you were very near the "Billy G sucks" camp three months ago, and I kept saying it would get better. Glad it worked out for you, and you guys are going to be very tough in the near future. We went through the same growing pains with Self (even though our start was no where near as bad as your, because our "cupboard was a little better stocked").

You're not joking about those promo's being UK fan's hell. That must be brutal. And Missouri fans are never pleased with anything regarding the tournament (except for when KU loses).

Not only did my Alma Mater USD beat Gonzaga to earn a birth, but someone beat Southern Alabama who is 26-6 so that may have eliminated another bubble spot. Because of that, the once conceivable scenario where the Pac-10 got 7 teams in now seems much less likely. Oregon should get in with a win over WSU. U of A gets an automatic win againt Oregon State in the first round of the Pac-10 tourney.

If Arizona wins another game against Stanford, they are really going to have a compelling case espeically due to their strenght of schedule. But it's hard to take them over Oregon as Oregon swept them and finished ahead of them in the conference. I believe ASU also swept them. Who ends up the odd-man-out here?

Hey, cool, I'm also an alumni from USD :) What year did you graduate? I'm '02.

Pretty damn cool that we finally beat Gonzaga and won the damn WCC. When I went there we got beat every single time =/ At least when it counted.

Anyway, congrats Toreros! :cheers:

Heh, trying not to get too excited. It was only Oregon St. Now we face Stanford...Zona wins this I think they're a lock to get in.

YW

Best case scenario, of course, being that 'Zona loses this, but still gets into the tournament. :P

Sorry, I can't root against my guys. But I'd like as many PAC-10 teams in the tournament as possible.

Best case scenario, of course, being that 'Zona loses this, but still gets into the tournament. :P

Sorry, I can't root against my guys. But I'd like as many PAC-10 teams in the tournament as possible.

Bah! Zona should have won the last match up but got completely jobbed! Hopefully O'Neill finally has them ready to play like a Lute Olsen team.

As to Portland State, I do think it's kind of cool. They've never been before. They are actually a larger school than Oregon or Oregon State but they are comprised of three things. First generation Asian students, 40-year old commuters, and urban hipsters. Not a great demographic to support a sports program.

George Mason is also a big commuter school. You'd be surprised what a deep run in the dance will do for your fan support. DC news talks just as much about George Mason Basketball as they do about other schools with a lot of interest in the area like Georgetown, Maryland, Virginia, and Virginia Tech.

As for the Mountaineers... I don't think WVU should be considered 'on the bubble' still, but I think to be sure they get in they need to beat UCONN this afternoon. 23-9, 11-7 in the Big East should do it.. if everyone who is supposed to win does. If things get screwy I could see us maybe getting left out.... like if the selection commitee decides that they don't want to have 7 or 8 teams from the Big East and Nova does well in the BE tournament and WVU gets beat today. I could see them taking Nova over us if that happens.

Update: Alright, I'm pretty sure we're a lock for the dance now. Nova went down and we beat UCONN, so 2 wins in the BE Tournament. More than anything I'm happy to have my Friday plans made for me. WVU vs. G'Town at 7:00pm ET. :cheers:

ETA: WVU was 24-7 and people were saying they were on the bubble? Doesn't make me feel too good with Oregon at 18-12.

Yea, I think the concern is just that there are so many teams from the Big East that you could be a pretty good team sitting at 7th in the conference and get the shaft. I mean the BE is 16 teams in BBall, and the Pac-10 is, well, 10. Seventh in the Big East is still in the top half of the conference. I don't know if we've got any really outstanding teams this year in the BE, but we do have a lot of good ones. Oregon should be alright, especially with a win tonight.

Yea, I think the concern is just that there are so many teams from the Big East that you could be a pretty good team sitting at 7th in the conference and get the shaft. I mean the BE is 16 teams in BBall, and the Pac-10 is, well, 10. Seventh in the Big East is still in the top half of the conference.

Which makes me wonder just how long they can really sustain this monster of a basketball conference before they start kicking out the non-football members. Honestly, I heard today on the radio that one proposal for next year when all 16 teams finally get to play in the conference tourney is that the top seeds may get a double bye!!! WTF???? A double bye???? Who the hell thinks this stuff up?

That said... I was completely stunned to see Pitt take down Louisville tonight. Speaking of Pitino and his harem... Billy Donovan's team is now officially relegated to the ignominious status of trying to follow up their 2 championships with a 3rd from the NIT.

Archived