College Basketball 2

Rhom

Which makes me wonder just how long they can really sustain this monster of a basketball conference before they start kicking out the non-football members. Honestly, I heard today on the radio that one proposal for next year when all 16 teams finally get to play in the conference tourney is that the top seeds may get a double bye!!! WTF???? A double bye???? Who the hell thinks this stuff up?

Yea thats a pretty big issue, considering that we wouldn't really want to kick out Marquette, G'Town, and Nova. It would be good to expand the conference in football, but none of the non-football BBall powers are good candidates (except ND, and thats not happening).

So if we wanted to expand in football, maybe raid another conference... what the hell are we going to do with their Basketball teams? At any rate, the absolute last thing I want to see is Georgetown or Marquette lining up opposite the Mountaineers on the grid-iron every season. As if the Big East doesn't take enough shit already. Hell, we already had to take Nova as a filler for next season. Nothing to gain by that, even steam-rolling them 77-0 with the third string isn't going to score us any points.

Which makes me wonder just how long they can really sustain this monster of a basketball conference before they start kicking out the non-football members. Honestly, I heard today on the radio that one proposal for next year when all 16 teams finally get to play in the conference tourney is that the top seeds may get a double bye!!! WTF???? A double bye???? Who the hell thinks this stuff up?

Words cannot explain how stupid the double bye is. I seriously rewound my DVR three times to make sure I heard it right the first time I heard this. :thumbsdown:

As to Portland State, I do think it's kind of cool. They've never been before. They are actually a larger school than Oregon or Oregon State but they are comprised of three things. First generation Asian students, 40-year old commuters, and urban hipsters. Not a great demographic to support a sports program.

Oregon State, ah what do I say. Their best player would not play for anyone else in the league. Those two brothers Tarver, my brother grew up playing sports against them. They were very good high school players and I'm stunned at their lack of development. The Pac-10 is extremely deep but this Beaver team may not have won a game in a lesser year for the league.

Voland, you and I are evidently classmates. I got to USD in the fall of '98 but took one semester off so I got done in December of '02, not June.

Small world. Do I know you, do you know me? :wideeyed: There weren't that many swedes at USD.

Now if only our football team could pick it up as well :leaving:

Argh! Damn you Stanford big men!

Now we await the committee...which is pretty damn scary.

UCLA looked pretty damn impressive, over than that brain fart they had in the first 10 minutes of allowing Cal to creep back in...then they jumped way back up.

Billy Donovan just kinda threw his team under the bus. I mean, there's tough love, but that seemed a little harsh. Possibly true, though, I haven't seen any Florida games this year.

I was just going to comment on this myself actually...

"It's in front of our guys, what it takes to win," Donovan said. "For whatever reason, I haven't brought it out in them. They're not committed to it. But I'm not necessarily really that excited about these guys being sophomores, to be honest. I don't think people change a whole lot, and I don't think you've seen the basketball team change at all this year. So it's hard for me to get overly thrilled or excited."

"I think we have some talent issues on the defensive end of the floor, footspeed-wise, that sometimes is not all their fault," Donovan said. "But I think we have a commitment issue, too, which bothers me as a coach because I just got done coaching a group the last two years that was so committed. And to be with this group, I don't think just because they're going to be another year older that all of a sudden, everything gets resolved. I don't see that."

When Parsons told reporters Florida simply wasn't ready to play against Alabama, Donovan bristled at the suggestion. To say the team wasn't ready to play, I've got to take responsibility for that because I think that's my job," Donovan said. "That's disappointing to hear."

Those are certainly some damning and disheartening comments from Billy D. I guess I found the assessment honest, if a bit harsh, about his players. I do think it should be on the coach to take complete responsibility for the performance of his team, especially in college. I wonder if Donovan has a sign on his desk that says "The buck stops over there -->"

What makes it even more disturbing is that they may not be done this season. Obviously the NIT isn't what top tier teams play for, but its still a quality tournament with growing experiences for your team going into next year. How do you get ready to play a tourney game in a couple weeks with quotes like that floating around teh intrawebz?

Next topic: Rough night for Oregon last night huh? I suppose they'll be sitting squarely on the bubble come Sunday. I don't know if the resume is enough to get them in, but they've played some good ball this year. It just seems like a lot of these bubble teams didn't realize that you're supposed to win games to make your chances better. The good news for all of the bubble teams is that everyone with big stakes on the line seems to be losing.

Has it ever happened before?

It happened last year with Arkansas who was 7-9 in the regular season. While I see the problems with a team with a losing record getting in most years, it may be unavoidable. All three Pac 10 bubblers have a losing record in conference if you count the tournament. Its just hard to justify leaving all three out, especially when you look around the nation. I mean would you really put Minnesota or Temple in over these teams just because they have a winning record in conference?

With comments like that maybe Billy D. should have stayed at Orlando. What an ass.

I'm not necessarily really that excited about these guys being sophomores, to be honest.

I don't see how UA is in over Oregon. You swept them head to head and you're records are very similar. The only thing going for them is their strong computer numbers. I just don't see 7 teams making it from the PAC 10.

Other possible first rounders from the PAC 10:

Collison (how'd you forget him :P)

Jefferson from USC

and then I'd say Anderson from Cal, and either Westbrook or Robin Lopez.

Here's an interesting scenario for you...

Tornados in the area of the Georgia Dome caused a delay in the SEC tourney games. Kentucky and Georgia were supposed to play at 9:45. Because of the delay, the game has been postponed. I'm not sure, but I would assume this will push the championship game of the SEC tourney to Monday... what if Georgia were to beat Kentucky and Mississippi State to make it to the championship game? Right now they definitely would not make the tourney. So what if weather caused a delay for a team with a real shot at an automatic bid? What do you think the selection committee would do?

Here's an interesting scenario for you...

Tornados in the area of the Georgia Dome caused a delay in the SEC tourney games. Kentucky and Georgia were supposed to play at 9:45. Because of the delay, the game has been postponed. I'm not sure, but I would assume this will push the championship game of the SEC tourney to Monday... what if Georgia were to beat Kentucky and Mississippi State to make it to the championship game? Right now they definitely would not make the tourney. So what if weather caused a delay for a team with a real shot at an automatic bid? What do you think the selection committee would do?

:eek:

:bang:

:uhoh:

:bang:

:leaving:

I'll tell you what, the Mountaineers got fucking worked. I wasn't actually expecting a victory but I wasn't expecting a beat down either, God-damn I hate Georgetown. I guess it doesn't matter all that much, cause we're going to make the tourney already, but we lost to G'town by one damn point in regular season with Alexander in foul trouble half the game. I thought we might be able to beat them this time. G'Town is the better team, but we are capable of beating those fuckers, no doubt.

Anyway, this kind of confirmed my original suspicions about WVU, they can roll at times but they are eventually going to wear out and get beat by a deeper team. My prediction is WVU wins in the first round of the tourney, then gets beat. Though they'll probably be an 8th or 9th seed so a first round loss is possible. They don't seem to handle losing well, a very streaky team. Coming off a loss, I wouldn't be surprised if they lose the first game.

So here's the scenario for Kentucky today according to what I've read on "teh intrawebz:" They will play last night's scheduled game with Georgia at noon today at Georgia Tech's gym, the game will be closed to the public and will be open only to media and family. :stunned: The winner of that game will play Mississippi State tonight at 9:00. With the championship being played as scheduled at 1 on Sunday. I don't know what they have decided about playing the other games at the Georgia Dome.

Pictures of the storm's damage make it look like it was pretty significant.

So here's the scenario for Kentucky today according to what I've read on "teh intrawebz:" They will play last night's scheduled game with Georgia at noon today at Georgia Tech's gym, the game will be closed to the public and will be open only to media and family. :stunned: The winner of that game will play Mississippi State tonight at 9:00. With the championship being played as scheduled at 1 on Sunday. I don't know what they have decided about playing the other games at the Georgia Dome.

Pictures of the storm's damage make it look like it was pretty significant.

All games today will be at GT. Not sure about the championship game.

Yeah, the latest that I just read said that pretty much all the games will be at GaTech with no fans present; just family, bands, cheerleaders, and credentialed folks. It will be eery watching those games without the fans cheering. Almost like watching a high school game broadcast on national tv!

Well... the good news is that Billy Gillispie was catching hell earlier in the year for his habit of holding full practices on gameday; time to find out if that will pay off!

Hound... are you in the Atl area? Hope all is safe down there.

Yeah, the latest that I just read said that pretty much all the games will be at GaTech with no fans present; just family, bands, cheerleaders, and credentialed folks. It will be eery watching those games without the fans cheering. Almost like watching a high school game broadcast on national tv!

Well... the good news is that Billy Gillispie was catching hell earlier in the year for his habit of holding full practices on gameday; time to find out if that will pay off!

Hound... are you in the Atl area? Hope all is safe down there.

No fans. Wow. That will be weird.

I live just Northeast of the city. All is fine. Nothing major last night. I got hit very hard this morning, but no structural damage to the house. 60 to 70 mph winds this morning. Scared me and kids, but that is all. I think the day is actually suppose to turn nice. Temps in the 70's.

RETRIEVERS GOING DANCING, BABY!

UM! BC! UM! BC! UM! BC!

Riser! (complete with ghetto audio, yours truly in the background on trombone)

Stand up and cheer, UMBC

Forward we go, to another victory.

Retrievers, be bold,

We back you as we stand,

Black and gold, the best in Maryland.

Rise up and sing!

Stand up and roar!

Make echoes ring from the moutains to the shore.

Baltimore's pride, our alma mater grand,

UMBC, the best in an-y land!

Bring on the big boys, because Cinderella is showing up to play.

Clemson beats Duke. I'm stoked. I'm toying with the idea of going up to Charlotte tomorrow morning and trying to score some tickets.

One more shot at UNC. First loss in OT on a great Ellington 3 pointer. Second loss in double OT. Should make for a great final. Clemson as a threat in basketball...crazy.

Archived