College Basketball 2008-2009

Rhom

The new rankings are out. KU is #16 in both, and MU jumped from not ranked to AP #17/Coach's #19.

Duke loses by 27 @ Clemson, and barely beats Miami at home. Surely they drop out of the top 10, right? Nope, they only dropped two spots in each poll.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1679833' date='Feb 9 2009, 07.17']I was disappointed that there wasn't more college bball on TV yesterday. I got home from church and I was at a total loss for something to do now that the NFL is over.[/quote]

I totally agree, and the one game that was on CBS (Purdue/Illinois) was so damn boring even when the score was close. It sucks that Purdue's best player (or so the announcers kept saying) was out with an injury. I couldn't even watch the entire game.

[quote name='S John' post='1680117' date='Feb 9 2009, 10.57']WVU / Pitt round 2 tonight at 7. They beat us by 12 in Morgantown so I'm not really liking our chances in Pittsburgh. I think its been a few years since we've won there. An upset would be most glorious though.[/quote]

That game better not go long!! :P KU-MU is after it, and I don't want to miss a minute.

Stop the presses!!!!!!!!! Lunardi's latest [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology"]Bracketology[/url] has more ACC (8) schools than Big East(7)!!!!

And Georgetown is listed on the "First Four Out" list. :stunned:

Notre Dame isn't even on the "Next Four Out."

[quote name='Rhom' post='1680538' date='Feb 9 2009, 15.46']Stop the presses!!!!!!!!! Lunardi's latest [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology"]Bracketology[/url] has more ACC (8) schools than Big East(7)!!!!

Notre Dame isn't even on the "Next Four Out."[/quote]
Interesting.

I'd say Michigan's spot on the First Four Out is correct. Had a couple nice out of conference wins, but have been phoning it in for pretty much the whole Big Ten season. We're gonna need to put together a nice little run here at the end, starting with MSU tomorrow.

Georgetown is pretty surprising. I'd be surprised if they didn't end up making it. Notre Dame on the other hand, absolutely deserves what it's getting. We knew there'd be casualties going into this Big East season.

I'm actually kind of surprised to see Kentucky still in after their recent skid. Even more surprising they're not one of the Last Four In.

Kansas getting a 3 seed is another one of those things you wouldn't have expected coming into the year. Still, they've earned it so far, IMO.

Nice 13 spot for FezRock's boys.

Fouls man, unbelievable. I know we are a young group, so some mistakes are to be expected. But I am having a really hard time believing that we actually commit as many fouls as were called for. This is a rivalry game for fucks sake. Theres a line between not letting emotions get out of control and calling a foul for looking at somebody the wrong way. Thats the one thing that gets me sometimes about college ball in general. Let em play a little.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1680538' date='Feb 9 2009, 16.46']Stop the presses!!!!!!!!! Lunardi's latest [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology"]Bracketology[/url] has more ACC (8) schools than Big East(7)!!!!

Notre Dame isn't even on the "Next Four Out."[/quote]

I'm stunned Tennessee is still at 6. I know they have the No. 1 SOS, but 14-8 is a mediocre record and they just lost to Auburn for crying out loud. They should be at least sliding towards the toss up game (8-9).

[quote]Nice 13 spot for FezRock's boys.[/quote]

Sweet.

The only problem is that for 10 years the MAC has been a 1-bid only team, so if we don't win the conference tourney we'll probably not gonna make it in. Which means that the regular season itself is fairly meaningless, except for the first round bye it will give us in the tourney. Also if we do win the tourney I suppose it helps affect seeding, possibly giving us a high enough (low enough?) seed that an upset would not be out of the question.

It does go to show just how quickly things could go up in flames though, its a much tighter rope to walk than in the more famous conferences with multiple bids. So far so good though, its our best start ever since joining Division 1 (now where else have I said that this year? :thumbsup:)

Go Bulls!

Its times like this I kinda wish I was a freshman again so I could see real school pride around me for my whole college experience, and not just my senior year. But than of course I think back over my whole college experience and all the other stuff involved, and it makes me glad that I'm graduating in May.

Frak.

Their press was pretty terrible the entire game, but it did its job and wore us down enough to allow them to come back and get the lead. Some terrible calls, although even though it went against us, one of them was truly funny. We got called for a 5sec on the inbounds, and they go to the replay - the ref counts to three and blows the whistle. Seriously, WTF!! :lmao:

27 turnovers and we lose by 2. Yep, MU is abysmal offensively. I can't wait until the return trip.

The first 5 minutes of the game were pretty funny. Both teams were extremely nervous.

Welp... tonight is pretty much do or die for my Cats. FWIW, I am also surprised that the latest Bracketology didn't have UK as one of the last four in.

I teach tonight also... the last time we actually had class was the Tennessee game where Meeks went off, so here's hoping!!! (I haven't been able to teach for three straight weeks due to some mild weather the first week and the ice storm the last two weeks.)

[quote name='Triskele' post='1682659' date='Feb 11 2009, 04.59']We should begin formulating a plan for the tourney even though it's a few months away. add-on and I will not be represnted in this year's NCAA tourney respectively...Rhom has a solid chance...REG should be there...but we should all do a pool of some kind for fun.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. We could easily set up a pool on ESPN or one of the other myriad online sites that handles those things.

Tough one to take last night add-on. I pretty much only saw the bottom line, but I know how it feels for your team to seem so inconsistent it makes you want to ask the ride attendant to stop and let you off.

Speaking of ups and downs... it wasn't pretty, but the Cats got a [i]much[/i] needed win last night. Billy Donovan 2.0 (Calathes) had a solid night, I bet he's really feeling it today after such a great night and then he misses his free throws with a chance to send the game into overtime. But them are the breaks and the SEC East is now a four way tie. Here's hoping!

ACC game of the year tonight on Tobacco Road. UNC/Duke for first place in the ACC and a big leg up for the top seed in the ACC tourney. Looking at Dukes performances recently, I fully expect that UNC will take this by at least 10. The last two games against strong ranked teams the Devils have been two losses - a close one against Wake that ended with a mental error and an old fashioned beating by Clemson. Mental mistakes will end the same way against UNC, and if Duke comes out flat like they did against Clemson, this will be ugly early.

UNC I think has something to prove after being touted team of the decade/century - taking it to the rivals will garner a few first place votes that may not be truly appropriate, but will be a sexy choice.

[quote name='Greywolf2375' post='1682879' date='Feb 11 2009, 10.33']ACC game of the year tonight on Tobacco Road. UNC/Duke for first place in the ACC and a big leg up for the top seed in the ACC tourney. Looking at Dukes performances recently, I fully expect that UNC will take this by at least 10. The last two games against strong ranked teams the Devils have been two losses - a close one against Wake that ended with a mental error and an old fashioned beating by Clemson. Mental mistakes will end the same way against UNC, and if Duke comes out flat like they did against Clemson, this will be ugly early.

UNC I think has something to prove after being touted team of the decade/century - taking it to the rivals will garner a few first place votes that may not be truly appropriate, but will be a sexy choice.[/quote]

Its the game of the year until the next time they play anyways. Based solely on recent performances, I would have to agree with you... but Coach K always seems to get his kids up for UNC. I think it will be a closer game. I haven't seen nor heard much from Roy's group in the last few weeks, so I honestly don't know what kind of mindset they're in. Its always a good game though... you just have to mute your TV to watch it on ESPN!

Well, I'm not disapppointed about the Gators losing to KY last night. The Gators played pretty well on the road, which was not the case against Tennessee. Free throws have been a problem all season long which does not bode well for the tourney. Yes, I'm banking on going to the tourney unless the Gators have a total 2nd half of the SEC season collapse like last year. I don't get that feeling from the team, but you never know.

Archived