Must Read for GRRM Fans...... according to him anyway.

Stego

A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham. (Co-Author of Shadow Twin with GRRM and Gardner Dozois, the man who suggested the method in which to split AFFC into geographical sections, and first time novelist)

from Publisher's Weekly.....

Gesture and posture convey as much information as spoken words in Abraham's impressive first novel, a fantasy set in a world where poets create and bind powerful shape-shifting creatures called "andat." The Empire hangs on, literally, by a thread; the cloth industry depends on the ability of andat Seedless to magically remove seeds from cotton plants to keep commerce flowing and the barbarians in check. Seedless, who can also remove unborn children from their mother's womb, aims to drive his poet-creator, Heshai-kvo, mad with grief. A love triangle develops among a threesome -- Heshai's apprentice, Maati; Itani, a laborer with a past; and the beautiful scribe Liat -- as they unknowingly assist the andat in his plot to abort a wanted child. When Liat's master, Amat Kyaan, uncovers the plan, Amat must flee and live as a bookkeeper in a brothel. The complex characters all struggle to navigate a path between their duty to their Empire and to themselves. A blurb from George R.R. Martin will help alert his fans to this promising newcomer.

I just got my hands on an ARC from a friend. I just started it, but it's fascinating and well written. Abraham is already a craftsman, but if he can keep getting better, he'll be a fucking artisan. I'll update this when I've completed the novel.

A Shadow in Summer willl be released in March from TOR Books.

I finished reading it a couple days ago, excellent beginning to a series. A must buy for fans of top tier epic fantasy work. I will have a review up closer to release, and an interview with Abraham as well.

Here is a part of the Martin blurb (that is on the ARC):

he tells their stories in an elegant style that reminded me by turns of Gene Wolfe, Jack Vance, and M. John Harrison"-GRRM

Are there creatures opposed to the andat called the dis? (waits for groans....)

:lol:

I don't know why, but the summary sounds well... boring and silly?

Agreed. The plot certainly does not seem very gripping. Skill and style can make all the difference in the world, though. Probably something I'll test drive via the library before buying.

Depending on how one wants to define epic fantasy, I don't think there wll be another better example this year than Abraham, excluding Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, - which you heard it here first is going to be the biggest debut of 2006. That book is the real deal.

I have to say after reading A Shadow in Summer, I'm more impressed with its possibilites than I was with after reading the first insallments of either Greg Keyes' or JV Jones's current series (both of which I enjoyed).

I was a bit wary, as Martin invokes M. John Harrison in his blurbage -- which is never to be taken lightly -- but Abraham pulls of a damn nice book.

Including Bakker's TTT, Jay?

Truth be told, I keep counting The Thousandfold Thought as a 2005 read (and wrongly so).

I was really talking about new epic series. I will say this, I loved The Darkness that Comes Before, but it's not nearly as strong as the two following installments, The Warrior Prophet really was responsible for me viewing Bakker as an elite writer and not just a very good one, and TTT confirmed that.

If you're asking me about Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, as a debut, I found it more impressive than Bakker's. Lynch brings something to the table that I hope I can put into words by the time I review the book (probably next month). It's a fun quality, but it's more than that. Now that doesn't really mean anything because Bakker has wrtten 2 slammin books to follow it up.

I absolutely love The Lies of Locke Lamora. I just thought it was excellent.

I had the same thought as Ashara, the story as revealed here by PW sound lame to me. In fact now that I get more of an idea of what the book is about I think I'll refrain from buying it.

GRRM can recommend it, but as we should know by now, even an author's recommendation isn't a guarantee that you yourself will like the book, it's still only one man's taste.

Eurytus.....you must admit that the name attributed to the quote sounds like a bad D+D character. I was curious...... as a scholar of speculative fiction.

Maybe so. But bad names and fantasy go together like........well two things that go very well together.

Archived