Must Read for GRRM Fans...... according to him anyway.

Stego

You'll read almost anything? OK, I dare you to read Robert Newcombe's The Fifth Sorceress then. I hear it gives Eragon a run for its money in terms of writing ability/style ;)

But seriously, I too am curious about the book (not the one above, though! :P)

Well, it's an okay read, and it's a really neat concept. The problem is simply that the execution of the concept is really lame. And the plot is very oddly constructed. In the first part, we find out what the plot is from the bad guy's perspective. In the second part, we see them carry it out. In the third part, we see the success of that plot. And that's...it, really. It's not that surprising, since basically we're told from the getgo what's going to happen.

It could have been a lot cooler than it was, and it's the sort of book that I'd love to see done by a more experienced author because there are a lot of cool core ideas that could be used. Alas.

I liked it. It isn't a great book on a Martin/Erikson level, but quite enjoyable nonetheless. We should also remember that it is first part of a series (even if main plotline basically stands alone) and there will probably more spectacular events to follow. I don't mind the abortion theme, even if I am pro-choice, since I don't judge book by political convictions of author.

On a nitpicking side, there is one howler, though. One character tell another :I trust you like a brother (and apparently without sarcasm). In a cultural context of this novel this just isn't the thing to say :)

I'm in general agreement that it's good, but nowhere near as good as Locke Lamora. Whoever was waiting for the MMPB, that's a good call. I do want to read more of the series, and the Andat concept was very cool, but I think I'll wait for the paperback of the next book, or get it from the library.

• 5 months later...

So far I'm appreciating quality fantasy authors who can write a large, gripping tale without the bloat. TTT was a perfect example of this, conveying a huge story without overburdening us with needless characters and using the third person when appropriate (sometimes excessively) to convey grand events and speed things along. Who would have thought you'd have an epic 3rd volume to a major fantasy trilogy in a nice, tidy 400 pages.

Also appreciating the brevity of Lies of Locke Lamora. A book that I don't feel I need to be a weightlifter to carry around. Just picked it up, 50 pages in, and gotta say...fucking loving it. Hilarious shit so far.

Heh...not entirely. They were talking about Lamora and TTT briefly on page one (which was as far as I got before posting). Since there doesn't seem to be a proper Locke Lamora or TTT thread around, I figured I'd share my thoughts on them here.

I'm pretty sure we have two LLL threads and at least one Bakker thread.

There is an idea I've had for a while, which is to establish a stickied index thread on the front page which would contain links to the major threads for each author (and stop multiple threads on the same subject), regardless of how old they are. The only flaw in my plan is that I can't be arsed. I'll see if I can work up the enthusiasm to do it this week.

I'm pretty sure we have two LLL threads and at least one Bakker thread.

There is an idea I've had for a while, which is to establish a stickied index thread on the front page which would contain links to the major threads for each author (and stop multiple threads on the same subject), regardless of how old they are. The only flaw in my plan is that I can't be arsed. I'll see if I can work up the enthusiasm to do it this week.

What if the thread is so old it dies?

I do like the idea.

It doesn't matter if a thread is old or not. A thread only gets locked if it's more than about 20 pages long, in which case a new 'sequel' thread can be started (see Goodkind Threads 2 through 13), or if someone spams it into oblivion or a debate gets too heated.

The thread-locking limit came about after Ran decided to delete an early version of the Thread That Never Ends after it had spread across hundreds of pages, which caused (IIRC) the entire board to crash (that's right, The Thread That Never Ends nearly killed Westeros.org, at least temporarily).

So if you have something to add on say Steven Erikson, and the last Erikson thread is 8 months old, than it's no problem to resurrect and use it to make your new point. It saves the mods the trouble of having to combine threads.

So if you have something to add on say Steven Erikson, and the last Erikson thread is 8 months old, than it's no problem to resurrect and use it to make your new point. It saves the mods the trouble of having to combine threads.

Just curious : why is there a need to have only one single thread for a particular subject ? What's the problem with several ones (à la Usenet) ?

• 1 month later...

Because typically people ask questions in new threads that could have been easily answered by looking through existing topics ;)

News on the UK publication of the series. Apparently Orbit Books have bought the series and are publishing it in two omnibus editions (as the books are 'only' 400 pages long each). A Shadow in Summer and A Betryal in Winter will be published as one book, The Long Price: Shadow and Betrayal, and the other two will follow in another omnibus, presumably two years later. The UK edition will be published on 2 August 2007.

Cheers to Calibander for coming up with this info.

Archived