World of Warcraft

GoN

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1645424' date='Jan 12 2009, 03.12']Stego not setting ML on a raid? NEVAR![/quote]

Cause if you get behind the thing while it's behind the thing then it will mess it all up but thankfully that didn't happen here.

TPs advice are good. :)

Also in raids, if you play a lock, your healers normally know that you will life tap a lot. :) Don't worry about it, if they're not totally oom or DCed, you should get a heal. Just try and avoid life tapping to like 10% before a huge damage burst or when the healer is drinking. :lol:

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1645480' date='Jan 12 2009, 05.04']TPs advice are good. :)

Also in raids, if you play a lock, your healers normally know that you will life tap a lot. :) Don't worry about it, if they're not totally oom or DCed, you should get a heal. Just try and avoid life tapping to like 10% before a huge damage burst or when the healer is drinking. :lol:[/quote]

Back in the day, some healers would argue over who got to heal the locks. Cause everyone loves BIG numbers.

And there's one piece of advice TP forgot. And it's the most important for raiding:

[b]Death By Hellfire means no durability loss.[/b]

This will save you tons of gold and help hone your sense of impending doom.

Remember, if the warlocks are hellfiring, your all about to die.

I am submerging myself in Elitist Jerks, because I feel like one of those players who doesn't understand her class. I only learned about attacking from behind yesterday. :(

OTOH, I am proof that you can level without any real clue of what to do, so I suppose that's sort of good. :P

My plan is this:
1. Get a grip on how to play, and use these skills to get more money to keep feeding into improvements
2. ...
3. [s]Profit[/s] Kick ass!

:P

Hopefully this time I will actually manage it, rather than just announce my grand plan.

Oh and 4. is get Elanor some actual pants - those leggings look absolutely ridiculous.

Don't worry about it Eefa. There are people who apply to raid guilds who still attack from the front while not being tanks :)

The reasons for not attacking from the front are normally:

1) Mobs can't parry from the back. If a Boss level mob parries one of your attacks, his swing timer resets, which basically means he will hit the tank twice in VERY fast succession. The classic one for this used to be Prince Malcheezzar in Karazhan, where clueless melee could get a tank splatted faster than they could say "oops".

2) A lot of Boss type mobs have a frontal cleave, or a breath type attack. If you stand in front of them, you normally end up standing in shit you don't want to, plus you eat huge cleaves. Cleaves normally hit harder than the boss's normal melee attacks, which of course means that while a tank might still have some HP after being hit by it, if you ain't in tanking gear, you're gonna get splatted. Muchly. :P
This is also why good tanks don't drag big bad mobs through the raid/groups and why raid leaders get very, very upset with DPS people pulling aggro off the tank. It doesn't only mean that some trigger happy rogue/mage/warlock/hunter is going to get toasted, but a boss turning around also often means 8+ people getting instantly cleaved to their death. :P

You play a pally right Eefa?

Some handy pally tips:
-Just like Death by Hellfire for warlocks, Divine Interventioning somebody on a wipe makes you avoid a repair bill. Free death!!
-Hand of Sacrifice then bubble means you can help somebody in dire straits without necessarily dying yourself. On enraging bosses it can be useful putting it on the tank, then bubbling, to give the healer a chance to save the tank.

Yeah, thanks Lyanna.

I think I'd actually heard it before in passing, or as an insult to somebody else ("you think attacking from behind is just for rogues"), but yesterday was the first time I saw someone actually say "you want to attack from behind if you can because those attacks can't be parried". It obviously wasn't the full reason, but it was enough for me to take note and say "aha, I can understand that, and now I'll remember".

Isn't as helpful while soloing, of course, with the mobs turning around to face you and all, but it's something I'll be able to carry forward.

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1645546' date='Jan 12 2009, 08.31']2) A lot of Boss type mobs have a frontal cleave, or a breath type attack. If you stand in front of them, you normally end up standing in shit you don't want to, plus you eat huge cleaves. Cleaves normally hit harder than the boss's normal melee attacks, which of course means that while a tank might still have some HP after being hit by it, if you ain't in tanking gear, you're gonna get splatted. Muchly. :P[/quote]

Unless of course there is a specific requirement for more than one person to eat the cleave - errrr, one boss in ZA is what I am thinking of here, I think there is one other boss I have encountered recently where damage was split between folk in front of him.

Against my better judgement yesterday I allowed myself to be talked into heroic Occulus since it was both the daily AND heroic daily on Malfurion. Shockingly, the place did not suck as bad as I remember it sucking. Couple of wipes on Eregos until we got the mechanics of the dragons figured out - 2 red, 2 green 1 bronze FTW.

The recent posts on locks couldn't have come at a more timely moment - spent last week levelling my tailoring toon from level 61 to 65 to gain acccess to Northrend tailoring, and now that I have him there, I may try and get him all the way to 80. Ran the Dalaran cooking daily before work today on him, for 9,000XP. Now just need to cherrypick some of the better quest rewards in Outland and move on to Northrend questing. And get some Frozen Shadoweave and Spellstrike gear crafted. Belt of Blasting or Girdle of Ruination for an affliction lock?

[quote]Unless of course there is a specific requirement for more than one person to eat the cleave - errrr, one boss in ZA is what I am thinking of here, I think there is one other boss I have encountered recently where damage was split between folk in front of him.[/quote]

Ya, there are a couple of bosses with these sort of attacks. Lynx and Bear boss in ZA both had them. However, you wanted two well geared tanks to take the cleave type attacks, as otherwise it wold most likely mean a one shot, even on a plate wearer.

For DPSers tho, the rule is to stand behind and stab stab stab. On some mobs this can be really hard, since it's just difficult to see which sinde is the back! Like shade type mobs. Luckily, boss mobs are often large enough that it's not really an issue.

Eefa, when you solo the mob will turn to you, so unless there are two of you, DPSing from behind will be tricky. In groups or raids it is always wise to go in from behind if you are melee tho.

I did my second instance as retribution on my paladin yesterday, and it was a bit tricky to get in position behind mobs as I have never played a melee DPS above lvl 22 before :P I've had healers, tanks, caster DPS and a hunter, but no melee DPS. I think I got the hang of it after awhile tho, but it's hard to compete with AoE happy mages on the DPS charts. :lol: Plus I am still wearing bits of my old TBC tanking gear still (I used to have my paladin specced prot).

It's great cos our guild's ret pally was healing on her resto shammie alt, Joskii was tanking on his DK and our normal tanks were both on their mages, while me (normally healer) was melee DPS. Let me just tell you this: tanks on DPS chars are horrible :P

They pull with Pyroblast (Ahmagad gotta hot streak proc LOL), AoE everything and then LOL when the tank runs out of taunts and they die. I guess they feel entitled to do all these things they normally frown upon since it's not THEM doing the tanking. :lol:
At least poor Joskii got to really learn to mash his taunt button. :P

[quote name='Mandy' post='1645675' date='Jan 12 2009, 10.48']Purple is by rule better than blue, right? I've goit bags FULL of purples :D Just need those 4 little bars...[/quote]

Genrally yes, although there is a fair amount of leeway. A lot of purples from the end of vanilla WoW were blown away by Outland greens for example.

Tier 4 will probably be replaced in a few levels in Northrend. May I suggest this website (select your class from the icons at the top) to see what will be of interest to you -

[url="http://www.wow-loot.com/"]http://www.wow-loot.com/[/url]

Does anyone know what is up with Azjol-Nerub by the way? Every time we try to do that bloody instance we get "Additional instances cannot be launched. Try again later." for like half an hour before we give up. You can occasionally get it for other instances too, but AN is notorious.

Re attacking from behind: Muti rogues actually used to have to try and do just that, since attacking from behind was their way to really do damage. :P I think that's been changed now tho, which is a bit odd.

2 bosses in ZA, technically.

Really, the cleaves and the fact that you're not being parried are all it takes. If you're DPS, be behind the boss unless told not to. Parrygibbing isn't that bad an issue on most content, but there's no reason to face an extra 6.5% of your attacks not landing (assuming you don't have any expertise).

DK's up to 69; I'm going to tear through some more of Nagrand to hit 70 because I want more BC enchanting mats to get that skill settled. Leveling seems notably slower from 68 to 69 than it did up to 68. I wonder if the leveling speed boost applies only through 68, since that's when you can normally start Northrend.

We went to try and finish off Naxx. Plague wing was not too bad; Patchwerk was close on healer mana, but we didn't have replenishment and our third healer was undergeared and not the resto shaman we'll usually have (something about football made him not sign on). Grobbulus took a try to get down, Gluth was very close... but mostly due to the kiting; should be better next time. Thaddius had a couple of wipes; one stemming from a failure to monitor the two dps groups resulting in a respawn, and the other stemming from me not realizing how big a hit box Thaddius has; I was pretty close to him and negative were grouped on me, but the fury warrior was pretty close on the other side with positive grouped on him.

Sapphiron just ended us, though. Based on my damage intake, I'm not putting on any frost gear myself; far too much of my damage intake is physical to be worth reducing my frost at the cost of increasing the physical. However, I'm strongly considering buying the Titanium Frostguard ring pattern and hooking up the rest of the raid with it. Adding the 68 resist along with 100 - whatever stam their ring has stam should be a substantial boost. I can't honestly tell if people were dying because healers couldn't output enough or healers were outputting wrong. I repeatedly saw people die to frost aura during air phases, for example. Judgment of Light helps a lot, though I suspect it's kind of hard for our prot pally to keep up while healing. I want to improve his gear some and eventually put him tanking Sapph, but I don't think he's ready. I'll have him on some of the bosses Thursday, but not on the coordination/reaction-heavy ones.

We also kicked out a Sarth run, and a bunch of heroics. I'm now Exalted with Ebon Blade and (finally) with Sons of Hodir. I've also started differentiating between a mitigation set and a tankable dps / trash / threat set. Currently it's about 2k health, 2k armor, and about 1% avoidance in return for 220 or so block value, 2% crit, 100 AP, and a little hit. Pretty fine for heroics at least.

Purple is inherently better than blue! It's better to tank in purple caster cloth than in blue tank plate! :rolleyes: In general purples are better, though there are definitely times where there just aren't purple items available that are designed well enough to outperform the available blues. You're still leveling, so I wouldn't get too attached to any individual pieces.

Anna- I'm told blizz has commented on the AN server being undertuned for capacity or something. it should be fixed. eventually. It happens to us all the time. It happens at other instances as well, but that one all the time. Soooo annoying.

Replacing TBC Epics

You arent going to replace that much with quest rewards, if the mail pieces are any indicator. On my Shaman I was wearing Sunwell gear, so I wasnt expecting much for upgrades.

However on My hunter I have Kara Gear, and havent had anything close to the T4 gloves or helm yet, and I'm 76. Trinkets and rings ive gotten nice upgrades, but not on armor.

Re: Mandy

You can check out EJ if you want to get into the mechanics of those advice. I followed it and it worked really well for me. You definitely want to open on a boss with S. Bolt and Haunt, in that order, to stack your 2 stacks of Shadow Embrace. However, right now, SE is bugged so that only the first warlock will to land a Shadow Embrace will get the bonus, meaning that effectively there should only be 1 afflic lock in a raid. Allegedly, the next patch will fix this. I hope so.

You'd also want to get the right glyphs. You want the one that procs shadow bolt from corruption, and the one that extends CoA's tick for sure. Since you're still leveling, you might also consider the glyph for a VW and replace it later, with probably the one that reduces Unstable Afflic cast time, or the one that increases tick dmg from Immolate. Minor glyphs for warlocks seem to suck. The only one that's any good, imo, is the one that gives you a chance for an extra soulstone when you drain soul. I do use the one that reduces mana cost for cookie jar, but it's not that important. Nothing that helps with dps or survivability.

As for AoE spell, Seed of Corruption is really nice, but in terms of damage and mana efficiency, it's not as effective as Rain of Fire for small groups. In larger groups, Seed rules. If you were at the fight with Illhoof in Kara, that's where Seed is designed for. Or for the instance in Outland, the Magister's Terrace, there's a room with little flying fish. It's awesome if you have a pally tank, then seed. Of course, you usually end up dying after the first 2 seeds, but it's so awesome. In huge grps, like 5+, you want to seed target 1, then seed target 2. Especially if there's another AoE in your grp. Find a second mob with half bar of health or more to seed, because seed is such a long cast that if you pick something about to die, your spell will fizzle because your target will be dead from the other AoE before your next seed lands. In normal trash pulls for 3, I find that Seed is not as effective as Rain. But yes, Rain only hurts mobs, and it does a reasonable amount of damage, especially if your crit rate gets better. What I do sometimes is I put Curse of Element on the 3 mobs to increase the elemental dmg they take, then I do Rain.

[quote]Cause if you get behind the thing while it's behind the thing then it will mess it all up but thankfully that didn't happen here.[/quote]Yeah, this whole week has been a clusterfuck of me sucking at raiding. Tanking nekkid, being unable to speak, bad choices, letting another tank pull aggro...it's all bleh.

Forgot if I mentioned it last time I was here: got my bronze drake from CoS, guild first I think. *happy dance*
Now I [i]really[/i] need to save the money for epic flight, :unsure:

Finally dropped Grobb after switching out our lowest DPS for our top hunter. Gluth was bad - we couldn't keep up with the zombie food. We'll do better, add a second kiter next time.
Made it up to the 4Horsement and called it a night, so we've officially cleared 10 of the bosses so far.

I'm working on my +spell hit now, though I keep seeing conflicting cap numbers.
I've got 6.5% right now, but had 7.13% earlier - I lost a chunk when I upgraded necklaces.
I'm still seeing misses now and then, but I know there is a base miss chance no matter what.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1645814' date='Jan 12 2009, 11.37']Tobin, the base miss chance (1%) has been removed.[/quote]

Ahh, so I'm just sucking still apparently, :(

I've been blessed with a guild that thinks I'm worth it, so they've been dragging me through different Heroics like crazy. I feel almost dirty having 'upgraded' to cloth pieces - but there isn't much Ele mail out there apparently.
We have one other Sham who's 80 and he's an Enh turned Resto for raiding purposes. I give him first pick of anything that isn't clearly Ele intended.

I'm going to fight him for [url="http://www.wowhead.com/?item=39763"]Wraith Strike[/url] when it finally falls however.

Archived