College Basketball

S John

Saw that the McDonald's teams were announced. There's a kid out of Portland who is a 5-star according to Rivals.com. He has his top five schools as Kentucky, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington, and UCLA. Ain't no way he's going to Oregon. I hope I'm wrong. But I doubt that I am.

Yeah, I'd love to snag Jones. He's one of five Kentucky targets named to the team. With 3 seniors and 3 likely early entrants on the current team, I sure would love to see us haul them all in. :lol:

JFC, was Roy this bad when he was at KU, and I was just blind to his massive douchiness? Or has his ego grown unchecked since he has won two championships?

Video at the bottom of the link.

Backpedal much?

Ummm, that's exactly what you did.

:rofl:

I think at Kansas he was kind of the lovable loser (no offense... and yet, he never had seasons like this one). Now he's at the powerhouse that gets shoved down everyone's face. It kind of puts it in perspective. Plus, for much of his time at Kansas the internet was in its infancy; so we didn't have immediate access to every idiotic thing coaches said.

Big Ten grab to expand to twelve could be problematic, unless they just keep the name;

**Warning - Rant enclosed**

I'm going to be pissed if the Big 10 grabs a twelfth team and stillkeeps the name "Big 10". They're supposed to be promoting higher education and they can't even correctly count the number of teams in their conference (but cute effort with the hidden "11" in your logo...very clever). I was already set to show up at the door of the Big 10 Commissioner and demand he tell me which of the 11 teams was the one that wasn't "big". I'm pretty sure he'd say "Northwestern". But if they add, say, Texas and go to 12? Who else will be demoted? Indiana? That's fine, but I want truth in advertising. I want them to call their Conference "The Big 10 and Northwestern and Indiana".

Hey Big 10, just suck it up and call yourself "The Rustbelt Conference" (The RBC). Or "The Rustbelt Conference now featuring Texas". It's what you are. Outside of Ohio State your teams aren't big. I'd also accept: "Ohio State and Friends" (The OSAF). Maybe that'd inspire Michigan to stop sucking...at everything.

What would be amusing, and by amusing I mean atrocious, would be if Colorado went to the Pac 10 and Missouri went to the Big 10 and the Big 12 decided to stand pat with the teams they got rather than giving Rice and Sam Houston State their lifelong dream of major college football. That would mean the Big 10 would have 12 teams and the Big 12 would have 10. Would they trade their names? Because that wouldn't be confusing at all. Would they continue lying to all of us as the Big 10 has done? Or would they suck it up and get with the times and change their names?

Lastly, not sure I like the idea of Texas going to the Big 10. I like the regional aspect of the conferences as they stand. Each conference represents a region. If Texas jumps to an all northern-team conference, it really opens the door to nonsensical conference alignments. I can put up with Colorado choosing to align itself with the Pac-10, as really the character of this state, and especially Boulder, has become more in line with a West Coast mentality than Great Plains. That's logical to me. But Texas in the Big 10 is about as logical as, oh I don't know, the Dallas Cowboys playing in some kind of eastern division. It doesn't make any damn sense.

Did I fall asleep and wake up in 1996?

Because Pitino and Calipari are both be talked about for the Nets job. :stunned:

ETA: The hits just keep on coming for UNC. Ed Davis is out for 6 weeks with a broken wrist. Now the last time I looked at a calendar, it was the middle of February... so six weeks tells me that the kid is done for the season barring a deep run into the NIT tournament. That makes three bigs pretty much done for the season in Zellar, Travis Wear, and Davis. It really is looking more and more likely that Kansas could pass UNC on the wins list this year.

From the sad, but not all that surprising files:

Former Oklahoma State basketball coach Sean Sutton was arrested by agents for the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs on Thursday in Stillwater on complaints of attempting to possess controlled dangerous substances, officials said.

Woodward said Sutton has admitted to OBNDD agents that he is addicted to painkillers. Woodward said drugs were obtained last year from several doctors by fraudulent means, and more recently through shipments from sources in the states of Washington and New York.

A shipment that arrived in Stillwater on Thursday was intercepted and found to contain Adderall and Clonazepam, Woodward said.

Looks like I missed a thriller in Shittsburgh. :crying:

Can't say I'm happy about the end result, but at least it adds another good chapter to the rivalry. And we stomped them by 19 last time, so I'm still confident that we are better than them this year and just let this one get away from us.

That was a great Louisville/Syracuse game, and it may have all but secured Louisville a spot in the tournament.

OSU will be a scary team come selection Sunday - here's hoping they get a 3 seed, because I would hate to see them as a 4 in our bracket.

It's complicated to get a college basketball ticket. See, the people who have tickets to give/sell are students... and student tickets require student IDs. (It would be easy to borrow an ID... if I looked like my boyfriend).

But bad weather may open some seats, we'll see.

Cole Aldrich is set to shatter KU's single season blocks record. Right now he has 93, Greg Ostertag holds the record of 97 (Cole had 96 last season), and he's averaging 3.7/game. We have a minimum of 8 games remaining (and we'd better play more than that :P), so if he maintains his average he'll finish with 122+.

Bobby Knight is all over Cole's junk: The most effective player in college basketball. His numbers (other than blocks) are down a bit from last year, but that's because he's been facing nearly constant double and triple teams.

I gotta be honest, I don't know how this Syracuse team is this strong. I haven't watch much of them and their amazing record kinda snuck up on me. Watched a good portion of today's game and I'm just not seeing how they're so good (though they lost today).

Wesley Johnson is good, and will be a lotto pick this year. Onuaku and Rautins are both pretty good players as well, and they both have a lot of experience as seniors.

During the second half they said Johnson's wrist was hurt; I don't know if it happened in the first half (I only saw 5:00 of the first). He did have 14/8/3 for the game, although it must have been mostly in the first or it was very quietly in the second.

They are the team I least want to face in the tournament: 1. I hate teams that zone all the time 2. they shot 38% as a team from the 3, and any team that shoots that well can get hot in a one game scenario.

The 1-3-1 is kind of gimmicky, but I think it's easier to go against than a 2-3 especially if they extend it out to full or 3/4 court pressure. Michigan plays it a lot, and it gave us fits when we went up against them earlier this season but we started to break it so Beilein went back to man-to-man.

ETA: I keep forgetting to post this hilariousness that I soooooo hope aTm fans actually make happen tomorrow on big Monday.

Agsportsfan08's idea from the other thread needs it's own thread, and one of the Reed Rowdies needs to step up and do it.

We need someone to dress as the red headed girl behind the KU bench from Monday night.

But not just anyone, it needs to be a dude. Preferably a big dude. And you're going to need some balloons under your shirt, a red wig, and a tight Texas t-shirt. Then you're going to need to just stand there awkwardly the entire game. At last years Big Monday game they had Holly Rowe seated on the first row of the south student section (right by the end of the visitor's bench) so whoever is doing this needs to be given that seat in the corner of the student section closest to their bench.

And, to be even more awesome, if we had an entire group of "hot chicks behind the bench", it would be borderline epic.

Make it happen.

ETA2: Pitino has apparently beaten Boeheim in 8 of their last 9 match ups.

Was afk for most of the weekend. Some great games though. I'm still stunned about Louisville beating Syracuse. Is this really the same team that lost to St. Johns by 19?!!? :stunned: They're sitting at 7-5 in the Big East, if they go on a run from here they will actually finish with a more than respectable league record.

I will second REG's comment that Syracuse is the team I least want to see in the tournament. Tennessee played a 3-2 zone for the first time all season and gave us fits on Saturday.

I watched North Carolina beat NCSt on Saturday as well, its one of the games that Ken Pomeroy predicted them to win. It'll be interesting to see if it breaks the cycle of disaster they've been in. I still think that Carolina could go on a run at any time and turn things around. There's too much talent on that team and as much as I hate to admit it at times, Roy is a darn good coach. I'm honestly stunned at the way this season has turned out for them. Teams lose players all the time from championship teams and bounce back to at least be respectable the next year. Look at Kansas and Memphis from two years ago. Both lost nearly their entire roster from the championship game and came back to look good in the tourney.

I had dinner reservations in Louisville for my wife and I on Saturday, however on Tuesday night as we were watching ESPN she noticed all the commercials for Gameday and said "We can't go to dinner Saturday, we'll miss the game!"

God, I love my wife. :love:

ETA: I love the new avatar SJohn. It adds a real element of danger! :lol:

Also just wanted to add that Kansas set a new Gameday attendance record last week with 8,000 fans in attendance. Pretty impressive... until UK brought 22,000 to Gameday on Saturday! :lol:

REG... I generally don't hate on KU. But when idiot sportswriters start throwing stones, I'm reminded about an old addage about glass houses.

As we all know, there are countless, indelible KU-UK-UNC connections. It’s regrettable that KU grad Adolph Rupp factored so heavily in a shady Kentucky march to glory. Kentucky may have hit 2,000 first but KU and UNC will do so more honorably. The Wildcats got there with considerable assistance from cheating and NCAA criminal indifference and oversight.

No offense intended here, but I think we had a discussion a few pages back that showed Kansas had actually been pegged for more major violations than Kentucky. They won their last national title while on probation. And they were hit with probation back in the 80's as well.

Reaching 2000 wins with more class, my ass.

REG... I generally don't hate on KU. But when idiot sportswriters start throwing stones, I'm reminded about an old addage about glass houses.

Yeah, that guy's a douche. I don't think I've ever read a column of his that I've liked. I read the first few paragraphs of that the other, rolled my eyes, and closed the page in my browser.

Another Monday, another win against a top 25 team on the road. -_-

Cole had five blocks tonight to become the single season blocks leader in KU history, that's damn impressive. By season's end (14 games from now :P) he'll likely rack up enough to make that record untouchable.

Longhorn 'girl' did make it to the game.

From the Kansas City Star:

One male fan dressed up as “Longhorn girl,” who gained Internet fame by sitting behind the KU bench during the Texas game last Monday night. College Station’s Longhorn girl was even more well-endowed and had his beer belly protruding without shame, and he greeted KU coach Bill Self as he walked onto the floor before tipoff. Self smiled, pointed at him and said, “That’s good.”

Also just wanted to add that Kansas set a new Gameday attendance record last week with 8,000 fans in attendance. Pretty impressive... until UK brought 22,000 to Gameday on Saturday! :lol:

The little I saw of gameday, says there's no way in hell there were 22,000 in attendance. They might have sold or given away that many tickets, but there were lots of empty seats in the lower deck. (and it was K-State not Kansas)

I thought Kansas did a helluva job maintaining composure against A&M. In the closing minutes it really looked like aTm was rushing shots and really didn't have confidence that they could win the ballgame. Kansas stepped up and got the job done.

Speaking of aTm...

Billy Gillispie is being considered for the DePaul job. I think he'd be a decent fit there with his midwest ties from his time as an assistant to Self at Illinois, but the Big East is a tough place to try and re-establish your coaching credentials. I have always thought that DePaul could be a good job, I don't understand how a major college in the heart of Chicago can't get better recruits than they do.

Kentucky goes up against Jarvis Varnardo and Mississippi State tonight. This game scares me a bit because of the monster games Varnardo has put up on us the last two years. He is already the SEC all-time leader in blocks for a career with over 100 more blocks than Shaq! :stunned: He's also just 17 blocks shy of the career record for the NCAA as well. I just hope he doesn't get all 17 against us tonight! If Wall and Bledsoe think they can drive to the basket at will against this team, they've got another thing coming. The match-up of Cousins and Varnardo has potential to be a good one.

Speaking of Cousins... did you guys see what some Mississippi State fans have done? :stunned:

Mississippi State fans had acquired UK center DeMarcus Cousins’ cell phone number, and they were putting it to use.

By Monday afternoon — still more than 24 hours away from Cousins’ matchup against Bulldogs center Jarvis Varnado on Tuesday night in Starkville, Miss. — Cousins estimated he’d received nearly 100 phone calls and 1,000 text messages, mostly from Mississippi area codes.

Some contained slurs of one sort or another, Cousins said. Others consisted of relatively tame trash talk.

“Some were racial, and others, girls were like, ‘Let’s make out,’” Cousins said Monday. “I don’t know what to expect in Starkville.”

I'm sure this isn't exactly the image that the higher-ups in Starkville, MS really want to be putting out there. I suppose I probably had friends who might have been this dumb back when I was in college, but it certainly does not show good sportsmanship. Who knows what to expect tonight?

Lastly... I'm usually not a big fan of Pat Forde, but everyonce in a while he has some humorous quips. This week, he compared various college players/teams to the Winter Olympics. (Kansas is a hockey team, John Wall is a speed skater, etc) I found this one to be particularly amusing.

North Carolina coach Roy Williams (14) would feel right at home in the kiss-and-cry area adjacent to the figure-skating rink. College basketball's resident drama queen teared up -- again -- during a recent interview with Yahoo! about the Tar Heels' struggles this season. Get the man a sequined jump suit, please.

:rofl:

I've been reluctant to post in this thread because I didn't want to jinx the run they've been on, but Virginia Tech came up with a big win against Wake tonight. I saw the UNC game in person, and I've watched them throughout the season. I think people are underestimating this team because of the non-conference strength of schedule. Of course that is just fine by me!

Anyway, big showdown in Durham on Sunday for first place in the ACC (depending on what happens with Duke at Miami tomorrow). Hopefully it will be a better game than Duke-Maryland last weekend.

Okay, now back to the regularly-scheduled UK and KU programming! :)

Ugggh... More techno music.

Okay, now back to the regularly-scheduled UK and KU programming! :)

:lol:

We need some more ACC commentators!

I saw that UNC is losing by 20 at the half. :stillsick:

Archived