Who do you imagine to be the most beautiful/handsome person on the ASOIAF planet, living or dead?

Horatz

The Sphinx. Nice dark colouring, wits, androgyny and guts - super hot. Of course if Alleras isn't Sarella it's just incredibly red herring. Plain beauty is boring, got to have something besides a pretty face to be beautiful. Especially in textual work, you descibe hair and eye colours but I for one don't visualize faces all that easily, so personality weights a lot more...

Possibly Lyanna, she's described as beautiful and I like dark hair, but I'm not sure about the personality. Too much vagueness in the background.

Margaery is pretty. Sansa too. But they're too young, and girly. :P

I don't find blonde hair all that appealing (it's usually not anything like "golden" or "wheat" in real life, except for this girl I know, whoa) so when people say Cersei or Dany are beautiful, I'm going to accept it as informed attribute but not going to imagine them as hottest things ever.

Melisandre is too creepy.

Who do ***I*** imagine? Living or dead? Ser Arthur Dayne, hands down. Don't ask me why, nowhere it's said that he was handsome. I guess I see him bathed in the light of Dawn.

Can't think of a woman. But I know very little of past history. All the women I admire are not especially hot. To keep it in the family I might say Ashara Dayne, but I might get back on this.

Who do ***I*** imagine? Living or dead? Ser Arthur Dayne, hands down. Don't ask me why, nowhere it's said that he was handsome. I guess I see him bathed in the light of Dawn.

:thumbsup:

The best swordsman, faithfull, loyal, good reputation, has badass sword :D, but his three best traits speaks that any girl should ask herself if that's possible :P.

Melisandre is too creepy.

Isn't her unearthly beauty part of the creepiness factor though? It surely is a plus point in considering Melisandre's beauty that she is considered very beautiful by characters (Davos, Cressen, Jon?) who actively dislike and mistrust her? If is there one character in ASoI&F who fits the term 'succubus' best it is Melisandre.

Cersai is another character who is recognised as gorgeous even by other characters such as Ned and Tyrion who are far from sympathetic to her as a person. I believe though I may be wrong even Stannis comments at least once on Cersai's great beauty. As an aside I believe Cersai is one of the characters who will benefit most from the translation to television by HBO as something as visual as beauty can never be fully expressed in the written form. On screen her looks and charm are going to be far more effective at masking her 'wonderful' personality...

Isn't her unearthly beauty part of the creepiness factor though? It surely is a plus point in considering Melisandre's beauty that she is considered very beautiful by characters (Davos, Cressen, Jon?) who actively dislike and mistrust her? If is there one character in ASoI&F who fits the term 'succubus' best it is Melisandre.

Cersai is another character who is recognised as gorgeous even by other characters such as Ned and Tyrion who are far from sympathetic to her as a person. I believe though I may be wrong even Stannis comments at least once on Cersai's great beauty. As an aside I believe Cersai is one of the characters who will benefit most from the translation to television by HBO as something as visual as beauty can never be fully expressed in the written form. On screen her looks and charm are going to be far more effective at masking her 'wonderful' personality...

http://www.celebrity-pictures.ca/Celebrities/Lena-Headey/Lena-Headey-1262857-small.jpg

I'm already in :wub: with that charm. Casting wise Cersei IS the hottest woman. From artwork discriptions/renditions Sheira Seastar is damn fine.

For the women I'd guess Rhaegar but I'm not a great judge on what makes men sexy/hot.

Living or dead you say? Well this requires research!

Linkage

Most Beautiful Women

Visenya I, Rhaenys I, Daena the Defiant, Daenerys Stormborn (all of whom are Targaryens), Arianne Martell and Lyanna Stark.

Most Handsome Men

Now, I don't have a great idea on what generally constitutes a good looking guy, but I'm going to tentatively suggest Aegon the Conqueror, Daemon Blackfyre and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen.

Now, unfortunately the bulk of those picks are Targaryens (or Targ blooded), but they're really the only characters I can pick from the past with physical descriptions.

:thumbsup:

The best swordsman, faithfull, loyal, good reputation, has badass sword :D, but his three best traits speaks that any girl should ask herself if that's possible :P.

Ahhh yes! A fellow Dayne fan. *sigh* Indeed he has that little defect, the chastity vows...

Now that I think about it, Lyanna is also a good candidate for most beautiful woman; though when I think about her, she's such a mysterious figure that "beautiful" is not the first thing that comes to my mind... maybe "dreamlike" is.

Danny and Cersei seem to be both quite beuatiful and above all, sexy!

They seem to have that kind of sex appeal....even from very young age. They know they are woman, they understand that power and are not afraid to play with it. Lyanna should rank high on the list also as it seems pretty much the most powerfull men all wanted her. Sansa looks like she is lovely but she is too much of a lady and is not really open to being a woman.

But the thing is, many woman can be beautiful, but they need to have that extra confidence and temper in order to become "hot". And this confidence is even more important than natural looks.

Danny and Cersei seem to have that "sex appeal". They have clearly enough looks, but above all they have that wild power behind the looks and they really like to be a woman and have sex (even if not with every single man..dont ever mix it with being a whore).

I hope that "whore" there is a job description.

It´s actually more...but i lack the better words and you should give me some discount. English is only my 2nd language :)

Anyway, to express it better, i think there´s a thin line bettween those women who are naturally sexy because they know they are hot, they have no fear of using it but still they will not get on your bed that easilly.......and those who are all that and will just be more...liberal either for fun or whatever reason.

I tend to think the late behaviour is pretty much like being a whore....in my personal opinion, some actual whore´s even have better reasons for what they Edo then some of these girls. But that comes from my moral standards and is something a bit individual :)

But this was why i was saying not to mix being sensual to being easy.

And from what i see, both Cersei and Danny are not really easy. They have their likes and they are not out there just getting under the sheets with the 1st guy that comes around. Even if both seem to play with someone they do not really want just for the sake of emulating part os someone they love/d.

No votes for Ygritte yet? Then let me be the first. Fiery redhead, slim and toned as a result of her lifestyle, and really comfortable with herself. What's not to like? She's got a very Lyanna vibe, but redhead (which I really like). As for the other prominent redheads in the series, Cat is a bit old for my taste, though I can see where LF was coming from as a kid. And both she and Mel don't give off the fiery vibe that makes redheads that much hotter. But Ygritte's in a world where beauty does not matter as much and they don't have the luxury resources or time to make people unnaturally beautiful.

Edit: I said she was jailbait now, thinking she was 17ish. Wiki says 19 so nvm about the jailbait. Not even sketchy for me now.

Beauty in ASOIAF is a bit interesting. The Targaryen look is really the one that stands out the most, because of the uber rarity. Rarity often denotes value, and we're seeing them from a Westeros-centric perspective so they have that extra layer of perspective-centric exoticism. We can easily relate because in our world silver haired people with purple eyes don't even exist. Hence, the Targaryen beauty is superhuman, almost inhuman. For me, this makes them a bit too distant for personal attraction, I actually have a hard time picturing Dany as the most beautiful woman in a definitive way, the description doesn't conjure an image for me, and I think it has to do with her beauty lacking a "type". I don't really know how to tangibly describe Dany's beauty, other than a vague "otherworldly" (which means what?). Oddly enough I can envision Rhaegar better, sensitive and brooding etc. Anyway, I'd definitely find them fascinating to gawk at rudely, and recognize that they're superlative.

Another factor is status. Dany has both rarity and status going for her, while Cersei and the Lannisters in general are only pretenders to the Targaryens' larger than life superhumanity but still reap the rewards of their immense status. But of course Cersei is the most beautiful woman in the land, she's the richest one with the shiniest headgear ;) When Bran asks Meera about fair maids at Harrenhal, Meera makes a point to mention Elia, then the royal princess.

Of course, probably nobody gets the plaudits without a general consensus that they're quite the lookers, as the Lannister twins are agreed to be. But at some point after general consensus I think it becomes subjective, and it's often more like the most beautiful person is the one you love instead of vice versa. If you asked people who loved her, Lyanna was surpassingly lovely, and Robert was willing to fight a war to retrieve her, but I don't think Jaime would've batted an eyelash for her. So is Lyanna superlative because Robert was a Great Man in a position to lead an army? That's some funky criteria. (Pausing to say that the books make much more of feminine beauty than masculine beauty, perhaps as a reflection of the society. This sense of feminine beauty and worth being dependent on the epic deeds a woman inspires in men, there isn't as much of a reciprocal phenomenon. There's no king of love and beauty. Believably in their society, as in ours since courtly love still shapes our modern attitudes, women aren't supposed to fight for men, they're supposed to be fought for.)

And that leads in nicely to the endearingly fuzzy power of love moments: To Jaime, Jeyne Westerling nothing worth losing a kingdom for. To Robb, though:

“Y-yes, my lord. We all so wanted to pay homage to Queen Jeyne. She must be fair to look on.”

“She is most fair, my lady.” There was an icy stillness in Robb’s voice ...

Jaime's words would be fightin' words. Of course, I think Jaime concedes that Jeyne's pretty enough, while Catelyn says she's certainly pretty, so there's both subjectivity and consensus.

Personally, the visualizations in my imagination reflect my perception of the "types" of looks Martin evokes, and I do think he calls upon familiar "types" where a lot of the characters' looks are supposed to tell us something about their personality. I don't know if stereotypical is the word, but there's something awfully familiar about the images, like he's borrowing from a common language of looks. Anyway, for men I would go with the Baratheons for physical handsomeness (not for personality). They seem like the classic Hollywood tall dark and handsome, ranging from Cary Grant to Gerard Butler. I'm usually more attracted to dark than blond, so with Jaime and Cersei it's really the attitude that makes them sexy (at a, erm, considerable distance), while their actual (considerable!) beauty is something I can appreciate but not feel personally attracted to as much as others, but you do have to recognize. I think Robb would be dishy if he ever got to be legal, and contractually I gotta mention ol' Brynden Tully. Loras in my head is a very textbook sort of beautiful youth ala Adonis or Hyacinth. For women, I think I'd girlcrush on the Ellaria Sand/Taena Merryweather types, sultry and dark but more mature than, say, an Arianne, or the Catelyn Tully/Alerie Tyrell types (Sansa when she's older), whom I see as aristocratically attractive in that soundly designed square jaw/high cheekbones way. Nymeria Sand would be a convenient fence-sitter. I imagine Margaery Tyrell as extremely pretty in a soft, youthful way, and Cersei is a blonde bombshell type. I'd go for Mel in a heartbeat if she didn't have scary red eyes.

To Jaime, Jeyne Westerling nothing worth losing a kingdom for. To Robb, though:Jaime's words would be fightin' words. Of course, I think Jaime concedes that Jeyne's pretty enough, while Catelyn says she's certainly pretty, so there's both subjectivity and consensus.

Lady Black, I assumed when I read that passage that Jaime was simply saying that a beautiful woman is nothing when weighed against a kingdom. Now that I stop to think about it though, that couldn't have been it, because of course Jaime demonstrated earlier that he'd be perfectly willing to go to war with Robert over Cersei.

I'd go for Mel in a heartbeat if she didn't have scary red eyes.

I'd go for Mel in a heartbeat if she didn't give birth to freak-of-nature magical shadow assassins.

On second thoughts, that's part of her charm, so maybe I would...

Finding fictional, textual characters hot is such a freaky why-the-hell-did-we-evolve-this-capacity thing, but damn if its not interesting. And, you know, purile. which is fun. (I realize this is mostly not about how people actually look, but, hey, we don't actually know how people look, only how we react to the descriptions.)

Personally, the Lannisters don't do it for me in the slightest, though I always picture Cercei as very cold and a bit brittle, not at all the blonde bombshell Pamela Anderson type. More Gwyneth Paltrow. (though NWC playing Jaime actually makes me see something of that total, entitled, smirking confidence Jaime has that I realize he must have on the page but never quite visualized, and he manages a sort of Brad Pitt in Fightclub vibe, which still isn't really my cup of tea but which I can at least grok as sexy.)

Rhaegar falls too close to the sort of boyish, androgynous, white haired anime character (or, the horror, even a bit... Edward Cullen) thats become ubiquitous lately, (which, come to think of it, might have been rarer when Martin wrote GOT, but reader perception is all) which is too girly a taste for me, i'm afraid. He also comes off as intensely and inherently humorless, which is a major turnoff. Dany, Viserys, at all, just sound too distant. Theres nothing there to latch on to.

The Tullys definitely sound nice, Robb especially, (he's got this ocassional cute sheepishness thats just dreamy...) but even on first read, when I was 13 or so and Robb wasn't even jailbait, i'm afraid my interests ran to...well...

The Greyjoys. Asha, Aeron, Euron...even Theon. Yeah. I know. Let me make my case: They're canonically often desribed as good looking, its clearly a family trait. Second, they've got that intense depth of personal and familial self destructiveness that makes simultaneously extremely interesting, 'mad, bad and dangerous to know', but also somewhat pitiable. And most importantly - they're funny.

(I also think Beric Dondarrion, Jaquen H'ghar and Qhorin Halfhand are all really sexy. Don't ask me why.)

Archived