Details, details details part V

Fire Eater

I agree about the last. But why would the scenario I detailed above lead to Cersei killing Robert and Joff ascending?

Yeah, I think that in the scenario above, Cersei would have killed Robert as well. I don't see her as just standing by while her family is being attacked. And she's wanted Robert dead for quite a while already. His days were numbered IMO.

Since I just started my reread of the series, I really like this thread, because I seem to notice a lot of things now. Like in the chapter where Arya escapes the guards and she's walking through the tunnels where she heard Illyrio and Varys speak, the last sentence of the chapter is:

Her footsteps sent soft echoes hurrying ahead of her as Arya plunged deeper into the darkness.

Now I might be reading too much into this (she is walking through a pitchblack tunnel after all), but I think it does nicely forshadow Arya's journey into a very though and dark world (or, according to some, into becoming a psychopath).

In AFFC Jaime has his refreshing chat with Genna Lannister/Frey. She is a character of great sense, but also a woman keenly aware of her sex and the limitation imposed on her for that reason. When she is comparing the difficulties Tywin's brothers had growing up next to him, she says she was his little princess until she disappointed him and that caused a bridge between them. What does she mean by this? Her weight gain? Or does it have to do with not suppressing her sense of humour and acting lady-like at feasts and the such? Actually, it is interesting that it is the Lannister sense of humour that is the endearing quality of their house and was only suppressed by Tywin who thought it made them look like fools and was so unlike his brothers and sons because he never laughed.

Let's look at Cersei's name, it is homonym of Circe. In the Odyssey, Circe was a witch described as "the lovliest of all immortals", she turned men into animals, and to protect herself from Odysseus she spread her legs for him.

On a sidenote, good catch on foreshadowing for Arya, Asha's turnip.

Alright, I just ran across this one in aSoS.

Petyr and Sansa are talking about the Tyrells and Joffrey's death, and of Margaery he says:

"she'll keep her queenly crown and her maidenhead, neither of which she especially wants..."

The maidenhead comment is very interesting, taking into account the information regarding the moontea and her maidenhead that surface in AFFC.

Alright, I just ran across this one in aSoS.

Petyr and Sansa are talking about the Tyrells and Joffrey's death, and of Margaery he says:

"she'll keep her queenly crown and her maidenhead, neither of which she especially wants..."

The maidenhead comment is very interesting, taking into account the information regarding the moontea and her maidenhead that surface in AFFC.

I noticed that too, saying she especially doesn't want her maidenhead implies she could be quite interested in sex.

I mentioned this in some other thread, but there is mention of a small black kitten that belonged to one of the Targ children when they die, and the storyteller wonders what ever happened to it.

Later, the one cat Arya can't catch is an old black cat with a missing ear, and someone tells Arya that he is the king of the cats of the castle, and no one remembers how long he's been here.

AGoT

All Bran could think of was Old Nan's story of the Others and the last hero, hounded through the white woods by dead men and spiders big as hounds. he was afraid for a moment, until he remembered how that story ended. "The children of the forest will help him," he blurted, "the children of the forest!"

Bran was being told of Benjen Stark's disappearance at the time. This could be a subtle hint.

Another thing, when Ser Dontos gives Sansa the silver hairnet with purple amethysts(actually the poison called the strangler)he tells her: "It’s magic, you see. It’s justice you hold. It’s vengeance for your father. It’s home."

I was rereading AGoT last night and I came across the passage where Dany rescues many of the girls/women of the Lhazareen tribe from rape by Drogo's men.

When she sends Ser Jorah to stop the rapers, this exchange happens:

"As you command." The knight gave her a curious look. "You are your brother's sister, in truth."

"Viserys?" She did not understand.

"No," he answered. "Rhaegar."

I found it especially poignant that he mentions her being like Rhaegar at this point, since many people believe that Rhaegar kidnapped/raped Lyanna (and that kidnapping/rape is really the only stain on Rhaegar's record).

I was rereading AGoT last night and I came across the passage where Dany rescues many of the girls/women of the Lhazareen tribe from rape by Drogo's men.

When she sends Ser Jorah to stop the rapers, this exchange happens:

I found it especially poignant that he mentions her being like Rhaegar at this point, since many people believe that Rhaegar kidnapped/raped Lyanna (and that kidnapping/rape is really the only stain on Rhaegar's record).

Another detail from the same scene, related to what may happen in ADWD... so SPOILER WARNING

Jorah tells Dany that it would be good for the Dothraki to march all the slaves they captured down to Mereen because a year before they had a plague and lost many slaves. Seems to me, especially based on the way he said it, that plagues are a constant in that region.

re-reading ACoK: Bran plays "lord of the crossing" with big walder and little walder. in his description of the rules, GRRM inserts a throwaway line about how the oaths aren't binding if you say "mayhaps".

fast-forward to ASoS, and what word does Lord Walder Frey sprinkle into his offering of food and drink? "mayhaps".

dun-dun-duuuhhhn

fast-forward to ASoS, and what word does Lord Walder Frey sprinkle into his offering of food and drink? "mayhaps".

Except that guest right is not an oath made to your guests, it's a right afforded by the gods.

I'm not sure if this is blatantly obvious or the most awesome crackpot theory ever, but i believe the iron coin jaquen gave arya is a way faceless men make themselves known. Thus, when she shows the coin to the braavosi sailor, he thinks SHE is a faceless man in a cunning little girl disguise, and sails her right to the door of the house of black and white, and why they treat her so good and make her learn all their names.

pardon any typos, i am quite baked.

I'm not sure if this is blatantly obvious or the most awesome crackpot theory ever, but i believe the iron coin jaquen gave arya is a way faceless men make themselves known. Thus, when she shows the coin to the braavosi sailor, he thinks SHE is a faceless man in a cunning little girl disguise, and sails her right to the door of the house of black and white, and why they treat her so good and make her learn all their names.

pardon any typos, i am quite baked.

wow, great theory

::buys you a big bag of doritos::

One guy suggested the corsair king in the Basilisk Isles who raided Tall Trees Town in AFFC and tried to buy Unsullied in ASOS could be Gerion Lannister, Tywin's youngest brother who was supposedly lost at sea when he went to recover the Lannister greatsword, Brightroar. My crackpot theory is what if Tywin paid the ship's crew to throw Gerion overboard, so, in Tywin's view, he could no longer disgrace the family.

One guy suggested the corsair king in the Basilisk Isles who raided Tall Trees Town in AFFC and tried to buy Unsullied in ASOS could be Gerion Lannister, Tywin's youngest brother who was supposedly lost at sea when he went to recover the Lannister greatsword, Brightroar. My crackpot theory is what if Tywin paid the ship's crew to throw Gerion overboard, so, in Tywin's view, he could no longer disgrace the family.

That would be cool. Or maybe the corsair king even if he is not Gerion is in possession of Brightroar, the Valyrian sword lost by the Lannisters. And Tyrion will be the one to recover it, bringing great honor to his house. If only his father were still alive, he'd be so proud.

Archived