Catelyn Defense Thread

Jaime L

Guest Other-in-law
1. Maester Aemon holds the same opinion as Cat and plays at least as big a part in persuading Ned as Cat does. Arguably, his contribution is more critical.

That was momentarily baffling. Presumably Luwin was the intended maester.

Eh, Carry on. :leaving:

No, you see, Aemon telepathically influenced... um, no he sent a raven to Luwin with instructions on what to... er... damn. :P

Glass candles. Many maesters have one, certainly those who've studied magic.

Amateur.

starksure,

I think I've talked myself to death. I can't make myself clearer. I've stated my OPINIONS. I believe that she played a part in Ned's death and her own. So far, no one has convinced me otherwise. I do not feel sorry for her. I've said she's a hypocrite. She's killed to protect her family and for revenge, as Jaime has. And I've also said that's not why I don't like her. Okay?

Okay, so you're unreachable? You've made up your mind, and you're not going to allow anyone to dissuade you. Well, I have to respect your right to have your own opinion, but I don't have to respect the fact you hold it in the face of all the evidence.

Willful blindness is not among the things I admire in anyone.

Dante Gabriel, are you implying that things are not going well in Iraq? Oh my God! When did this happen?

The largest role in Ned's death was played by Ned himself. What was he thinking, telling Cersei he was going to out her as an incestuous adultress, which would cost her and her children the crown? He also erred in telling Sansa that they were going to leave Kings Landing; she went right to Cersei.

Someone said that they thought Cersei loved her children for themselves while Catelyn saw hers as extensions of herself. I see it exactly opposite; in Feast we see that Cersei wants to be Queen, resents the fact that Margaery is, and views Tommen primarily as a way for her to hang on to power.

Catelyn's role in her society is to take care of her children, help them to advantageous situations (as she herself made an advantageous marriage), and insure that the blood of the Tullys is in the next Lord of Winterfell. Jon, as Ned's acknowledged bastard, threatens their legitimate children. Her "It should have been you" line is awful--but this is when her family is about to be split up and she has been nursing an apparently dying child for days. No one is at their best in such situations; I've spent days nursing dying relatives and it's more exhausting than anything else I've ever done (it was, of course, harder for them than for me). The Catelyn/Jon situation is one Ned allows to flourish; he has not told her the truth or reassured her that his children by her will succeed him.

Starksure, whom did Jaime kill to protect his family?

Archived