[BOOK SPOILERS] Drogo v. Drogo

Mad Queen

Lots of non-readers are rooting for Drogo. As a reader, he was never more than a barbaric savage to me and I wasn't in the least upset when he died; he deserved it, though MMD's betrayal was shocking. But I think non-readers that watch the show will be upset. Did anyone like Drogo in the book? Is he more sympathetic in the show? I think the show has fleshed him out a bit more and the actor was very good at delivering his speech in the episode Dany almost got killed.

Quoted in another thread:

If they kill Drogo, I'm dropping this f---ing series. Seriously. I'm dropping this f---ing series. You can't take both of 'em! I shit you not. George R.R. Martin, you are a sick, cruel, twisted individual. May God have mercy on your soul.

i didn't care about him in the books. it didn't bother me at all when he died. but that was because we learned how cruel the dothraki were as a people. the show has made drogo much more likeable and not so R rated. if they showed him for the murdering/raping/pillaging warrior he was then it wouldn't be so bad.

I didn't care about Drogo at all in the book. I don't think he's more sympathetic in the show, I just think the visual medium makes his character more appealing (big buff guy who rips out throats and gives epic speeches). My brother and his friend who have not read the books both love Drogo, mainly because they think he's a badass. His death is very underwhelming and anti-climatic (which works well), and while it may anger some viewers, I think Dany's dragons will more than make up for it.

Lots of non-readers are rooting for Drogo. As a reader, he was never more than a barbaric savage to me and I wasn't in the least upset when he died; he deserved it, though MMD's betrayal was shocking. But I think non-readers that watch the show will be upset. Did anyone like Drogo in the book? Is he more sympathetic in the show? I think the show has fleshed him out a bit more and the actor was very good at delivering his speech in the episode Dany almost got killed.

In the book, Dany's weird infatuation with a raping killer that showed just a small amount of care for her seemed more like a 13 year old being delusional than anything. I also kind of had a you'll get over it.

With an older Dany and the little dynamic that Momoa and Clarke have added -- it feels like there's real caring there -- plus Momoa's looks for those looking and Momoa's badass fight for those who care there -- people seem to have gotten much more invested.

It makes him more interesting, for sure.

The fight in episode 8 was great. And it was nice that he eased up the "rape everyone" policy once because his wife asked him to.

But yeah, Drogo got what was coming to him. I don't have an issue with Dothraki being "savage", at least in the way Viserys used the term (different customs, belief in omens etc.), more the fact that they're mass killers. Drogo is definitely a badass, but I don't get someone really rooting for him or raging over his death.

Jason Momoa seems like a nice guy from his interviews though, sad to see him go.

Yeah, it's really interesting. I still don't have any connection to TV Drogo, but that's probably because I already know he's basically a non-entity.

I do think that all the Dothraki are portrayed more as real people, which is a great improvement over the books, IMO. I'm thinking in particular of Irri and Rakharo - their banter in that one scene with Jorah was great. WE'd never have that scene in the book, because they'd never talk that way in front of Khaleesi.

Plus they are both acting a lot with their body language, something that's obviously not clear in the books. Plus, we have a rather narrow perspective from Dany's PoV - she doesn't really seem to notice a lot of the little details about her people (like, whether they have individual personalities...), probably because more focused on the big picture most of the time.

I never gave much of a shit about Drogo in the book, but I can see why non-readers would like him. His speech was pretty badass, as was his throat-ripping fatality.

That's pretty much it though. He's a flashy character without much depth, more suited for the screen than the page.

Agreed. In the book he was just a plot element. At the same time the book was somewhat more sympathetic to him regarding his first sex scene with Dany, in the screen he had some awesome scenes and came to life in a way the books never developed him.

I was a bit endeered to Book Drogo when he crowned Viserys, but other than that I don't remember any of the shock I felt when Ned got his hair cut, or the red wedding.

On the other hand, I don't feel too attached to TV Drogo, but maybe it is because I have read the book and don't want to get too attached.

I guess I'm the only one who liked Drogo in the book. Mainly because he was an undefeated badass who didn't take shit from anyone.

There's also the huge factor, in the books as well as in the show, that if Drogo dies Dany is pretty much fucked. Only invoking his name has been able to protect her this week in the show. When he dies, her power and safety dies with it.

I liked Drogo in the book, he taught Dany a lot about ruling. I dont think that she would have learned that fear and love are not mutually exclusive without his power and tenderness (which I was disappointed at "yes" being cut from the show).

MMD a heroine? Really?

Spoiler
I can overlook the poisoning of a King (Khal), yes I know it was never proven, but to take the life of anothers unborn child? Which MMD does admit to - I wanted her final moments to last longer. But then I am particularly bloodthirsty

:)

I think one problem the tv series will have is that Danys storyline in season 2 kind of sucks if you look at it as a self-contained arc. And now they can't rely on Drogo's personality and presence to interest the viewer. Sure there are dragons, but they don't exactly have the greatest personalities, and they don't do much yet. In terms of keeping the viewers interested, the dragons are a pretty poor replacement for Drogo, at least before they grow a little bigger (in like 3 seasons).

I enjoyed reading the arc with Drogo - the changes we see in him, the changes in Dany. As said above, the on screen magnetism that Momoa created made him a much more attractive character - I liked both, but for different reasons.

I think one problem the tv series will have is that Danys storyline in season 2 kind of sucks if you look at it as a self-contained arc. And now they can't rely on Drogo's personality and presence to interest the viewer. Sure there are dragons, but they don't exactly have the greatest personalities, and they don't do much yet. In terms of keeping the viewers interested, the dragons are a pretty poor replacement for Drogo, at least before they grow a little bigger (in like 3 seasons).

Female viewers are going ga-ga for Jorah Mormont. No need to worry on their score!

Archived