Jaime Lannister's fate

SirPipeWeed

I think his fate is to die after doing saving some important and loved characters. I personally would prefer them to be Tommen or Myrcella, he is their dad after all. For me if he really becomes a father for them, it would clean him from most of evil things he did. I would be very pissed off if he goes saving Sansa or other Starks (although I like them), while something bad happens to his kin

• 7 months later...

I am new to this site, and may not have searched correctly, so apologies if this has been mentioned before, but...why doesn't Jaime look into some kind of prosthesis for his missing sword hand. It's not like they cut his arm off. A team of experts (A Master Armorer, A Master At Arms and a Maester) should be able to put their heads together and hook him up with some type of boiled & glove leather/metal harness. I fully understand the need for wrist and finger action when using a sword, but, IT WASN'T EVEN TRIED (that we know of). If Symeon Star-Eyes could fight with a two bladed sword, blind, way can't Jaime try strapping a sword onto his sword arm?

Well met Matt,

i forgot to add that I did try sparring with both off-hand and forearm-strapped sword hand with an epee, a broadsword and shortsword. Although the aforementioned wrist/finger action was difficult, the familiarity of overall balance, foot and eye position seemed to have outweighed it, initially anyway. I did not do a prolonged study. Perhaps long term off-hand practice will prevail. Or perhaps The Kingslayer will fight no more.

I still think they could come up with a better solution for fastening his shield. The gold hand is totally useless even for that task.

I think one of the problems is that Jaime didn't consult a team of experts for his hand problem. And not because there is a lack of experts in the field, but because he is afraid to admit how useless he has become as a fighter since he lost his hand. He himself didn't think of a harness / hooks, of usability. Just of something that looks like a hand. It cannot be as good as a real hand, so it has to be fashioned from precious metal.

Tini,

Thanks for seconding my opinion. Quoting my previous posts:

1) "

A team of experts (A Master Armorer, A Master At Arms and a Maester) should be able to put their heads together and hook him up with some type of boiled & glove leather/metal harness."

2) "I did try sparring with both off-hand and forearm-strapped sword hand with an epee, a broadsword and shortsword. Although the aforementioned wrist/finger action was difficult, the familiarity of overall balance, foot and eye position seemed to have outweighed it."

Tyrion could dash off some designs , as he did with his & Bran's special saddles...

On rereads of AFFC,I have to say I found Jaime's amongst the best chapters.

He handles the tidy up in the river lands very neatly and with some great lines.

It's a theme in the books that some characters lose their main strength,then have to develop a latent one.

He never wanted politics or rule,believing his destiny lay in combat.He's busy trying to practice swordsmanship with his left hand whilst improving at real politik all the time.

Not sure of his ultimate fate,but I'm pretty sure he won't be killed by Uncat and the BWB.

I think that any kind of replacement for Jaime's hand would require far to advance technology for Westeros to be able to handle it. Either Jaime learns to use his left hand, he finds some kind of sorcerer that can fix it for him or can put his sword on the shelf.

I think that any kind of replacement for Jaime's hand would require far to advance technology for Westeros to be able to handle it. Either Jaime learns to use his left hand, he finds some kind of sorcerer that can fix it for him or can put his sword on the shelf.

moros of tyr after the death of lady stone heart by brienne or sandor(which I think will happen)

I think his fate is to die after doing saving some important and loved characters. I personally would prefer them to be Tommen or Myrcella, he is their dad after all.

I like this^ it would be nice if he somehow did do a fatherly act towards his kids. Saving their lives, or just giving them a simple hug. Maybe to go as far as living a quiet life, like if Tommen/Marcella lose their status...the three of them can go away somewhere.

Tommen and Myrcella are such nice kids, who wouldn't want them as their own? And they will need someone soon - Myrcella is injured and lost a beloved companion in Oakheart. Tommen is in an uneasy situation as king. Both of them have a very unstable mother, both lost their uncles through murder/accusations, lost their "father" through murder, lost a cousin when he severly changed, lost a crazy brother through murder...

Jaime barely has done anything with them (due to circumstance), and at times he admits that he barely feels any connection or cares. Imagine the flip side if he proved himself wrong.

To move on away from the gushy side now..

I do sense a quiet life for him if he does survive. Live to be an old man, the only Lannister left, just living a simple existance somewhere as a lord, maybe even a fairly good lord after experiencing a heavy life being morally questionable. Also might have a small family with a healthy relationship with his wife, whomever it may be.

If not, then he will probably die in a glorious fashion.

Tini,

Thanks for seconding my opinion. Quoting my previous posts:

1) "

A team of experts (A Master Armorer, A Master At Arms and a Maester) should be able to put their heads together and hook him up with some type of boiled & glove leather/metal harness."

2) "I did try sparring with both off-hand and forearm-strapped sword hand with an epee, a broadsword and shortsword. Although the aforementioned wrist/finger action was difficult, the familiarity of overall balance, foot and eye position seemed to have outweighed it."

Tyrion could dash off some designs , as he did with his & Bran's special saddles...

I totally agree. I should have quoted your posts, as I was responding to them.

Tyrion would not only be able to provide designs, he'd also be able to persuade Jaime to try them out, and encourage him to learn how to use them properly.

Not true. Even a simple hook would be more practical than that golden hand that Jaime is sporting. The only use of that hand is in the value of the material it was crafted from. At the very least, Westerosi craftsmen could come up with a solution to strap a shield firmly to the arm that is missing a hand. It was quite obvious that Jaime couldn't use the hand to hook his shield during his nightly training sessions with Ilyn Payne. Even if he becomes as proficient with his left hand as he was using a sword in his right, he'll be at a severe disadvantage if he cannot control his shield in battle. It will be even worse when his opponents realize that Jaime will lose his shield to a well-aimed blow.

He could also get a knife or fork instead of a hook. That may not look as good as a golden hand but he would be able to eat at dinner table with less problems.

Not true. Even a simple hook would be more practical than that golden hand that Jaime is sporting. The only use of that hand is in the value of the material it was crafted from. At the very least, Westerosi craftsmen could come up with a solution to strap a shield firmly to the arm that is missing a hand. It was quite obvious that Jaime couldn't use the hand to hook his shield during his nightly training sessions with Ilyn Payne. Even if he becomes as proficient with his left hand as he was using a sword in his right, he'll be at a severe disadvantage if he cannot control his shield in battle. It will be even worse when his opponents realize that Jaime will lose his shield to a well-aimed blow.

He could also get a knife or fork instead of a hook. That may not look as good as a golden hand but he would be able to eat at dinner table with less problems.

You know that even a hook or something isn't even close to a replacement for a real hand? I don't doubt that Jaime's golden hand is useless but I can't see him getting anything that isn't just as useless when it is used to fight with a sword. A hook is not much better at holding a sword with.

I almost like Jaime now, but he paralyzed Bran when he attempted to murder him.

And I don't think losing his sword hand evens it out either.

Jaime is probably the best character in the series. I'd have thrown Bran out of the window too, he would have gotten Jaime, Cersei, Joff, Myrcella and Tommen all killed.

I'd have thrown Bran out of the window too, he would have gotten Jaime, Cersei, Joff, Myrcella and Tommen all killed.

I think you mean Jamie and Cersei's treason would have gotten them killed? Varys knew about it, and he was just keeping it mum until he wanted to toss the Kingdom into disarray so that Aegon would have an easier time conquering. Bran was just a rather young kid exploring his family's property. It's creepy how people would blame him for the repercussions of the actions of capable adults.

Jaime is probably the best character in the series. I'd have thrown Bran out of the window too, he would have gotten Jaime, Cersei, Joff, Myrcella and Tommen all killed.

Wow.What a statement.

Would you care to embellish it with any sort of back up?

Wow.What a statement.

Would you care to embellish it with any sort of back up?

Because Jaime and Cersei were engaging in treason, not to mention incest and the fact that Jaime is of the Kingsguard. And Robert would probably have the abominations (Tommen, Myrcella, and Joffrey) killed in his rage. Jaime thought he had to kill Bran to save his own life -- this is absolute canon from the books.

With that said it doesn't excuse his actions of paralyzing a young boy for life. Nothing Jaime can do will absolve him of that. However, when we finally get into his mind we see that he has changed and he actually does regret what he had to do to Bran. I love Jaime as a character, which was something I never thought was possible after AGoT or ACoK. But when we finally see inside his head, and see him with Brienne and after he loses his hand it's like an entirely different character.

With that said, now to go back to the topic just to make his post relevant, I think Jaime will somehow escape Lady Stoneheart -- perhaps with the help of Brienne and then I see him dying in an attempt to save Brienne.

Archived