Sent to Westeros

Chirios

You've only got a week to gather your supplies, so I'd plan on taking a reference material if you're going to be doing any chemistry stuff.Why does everyone say assault rifles? Sure you'd be on GOdmode with them, but unless you can somehow use $6000 and one week to gather black market weaponry...of course, an American would have less trouble with this. Even so, it's never a good idea to use a weapon without practicing it.Also, what happens if it breaks?

This. People are thinking about this too simply. Running around with guns is all well and good but don't forget: you're trying to survive for 5 years. Can you carry five years worth of ammo in a pickup truck? And even if you do kill some people with you magic weapons, how are you going to protect yourself from someone sneaking into your bedroom at night? Poisoning your drink when you go to eat? Or hell, even just swarming you with number?

You'll need a weapon, of course, but what will really protect you is your knowledge of future events and the ability to produce more items that give you an economic or military edge.

You've only got a week to gather your supplies, so I'd plan on taking a reference material if you're going to be doing any chemistry stuff.

Why does everyone say assault rifles? Sure you'd be on GOdmode with them, but unless you can somehow use $6000 and one week to gather black market weaponry...

of course, an American would have less trouble with this. Even so, it's never a good idea to use a weapon without practicing it.

Also, what happens if it breaks?

Yeah, I'd take a reference manual in German so nobody else can read it.

I also said a gun and not an assault rifle. A pistol would be enough to demonstrate 'magical' powers.

Yeah, I'd take a reference manual in German so nobody else can read it. I also said a gun and not an assault rifle. A pistol would be enough to demonstrate 'magical' powers.

What happens when you run out of ammunition?

This. People are thinking about this too simply. Running around with guns is all well and good but don't forget: you're trying to survive for 5 years.

You're trying to survive for five years for monetary gain. If you happen to like Westeros, a ruler, or fall in love then I can see using your money for a short and reckless purpose and forgetting about your original gameplan.

If your trying to just survive for 5 years, just bring a truck of supplies, find some abandoned castle in the vale and camp out for 5 years. If someone comes to hastle you, shoot him lol

Really, really, really won't work. First of all, a truckload of supplies isn't enough to last you for five years, secondly, abandoned castles tend not to stay abandoned, they get claimed by Lords, they get given as gifts to minor knights. This is even more true if word gets out that a mad peasant with "magical" weapons is in there. And finally, probably most importantly, you don't have fridges, so even if you do just take a truckload of food, it will rot.

My plan is this, use the original supplies of explosives to demonstrate an ability to Stannis.

At this stage Stannis is not at war and will be able to purchase further materials for producing more explosives and simple gunpowder.

I'll take a manual on producing a cannon and produce a few of them that can be shot for ships which will help with sieges.

I'd rely on Stannis for protection with the pistol for self defense if I really need it.

You've only got a week to gather your supplies, so I'd plan on taking a reference material if you're going to be doing any chemistry stuff.

Why does everyone say assault rifles? Sure you'd be on GOdmode with them, but unless you can somehow use $6000 and one week to gather black market weaponry...

of course, an American would have less trouble with this. Even so, it's never a good idea to use a weapon without practicing it.

Also, what happens if it breaks?

Most people don't realize just how easy it is to get black market weapons, especially when you live next to the country with the largest gun culture in the world. As for breaking I'll make sure it's an AK.

Couple other things to think about:

flashing your stuff around isn't a good idea. You could easily end up like Arya, who lost just about everything she had on her first night in KL. What happens if a lord demands tribute?

Bringing a gun with you is bound to attract the attention of the FM and/or Maesters. How long before it "disappears" whle you're asleep? Food would also be the single most important thing you could get. The Vale would be your bewst bet- pleasant locale, abundance of food, totally untouched by the fighting. Dorne is a desert, but it has Dornish women, so that might make up for the rough climate.

So don't flash your stuff, be careful with the use of the gun, and make sure you have somewhere you hide it. If you are really on the ball take it apart at night.

ETA or you know a steel lockbox.

Make more, some of the materials might be a bit hard to get but I'm pretty sure depending on the type you make they are all naturally occurring.

safest place would probly be the isle of the peaceful people, i go there and eat fruit for 5 years

Only option is Westeros or the Free Cities.

Make more, some of the materials might be a bit hard to get but I'm pretty sure depending on the type you make they are all naturally occurring.

Really? This is a middle age economy, you won't be able to find the ingredients for gunpowder that easily, people won't have mapped where the local deposits of saltpeter are.

Really? This is a middle age economy, you won't be able to find the ingredients for gunpowder that easily, people won't have mapped where the local deposits of saltpeter are.

Salt peter isn't used in smokeless powder. Though I may have overestimated the amount of the materials that occur naturally, components like Nitroglycerin would need to be synthesized. So I would have to avoid that formula, and Nitrocellulose would be difficult to make but possible.

I'm assuming that I'm literate in the Common Tongue, as well as being able to speak it. In which case, I would go back with three things:

1. As much information as possible on how to build arquebuses and mix blackpowder (or smokeless powder, if it's possible), better agricultural techniques, and so forth. Nothing too complicated, and all stuff that a medieval society could hypothetically make and do.

2. Some useless modern electronic stuff, including cheap watches. Stuff that Westeros could never make, but which wouldn't be of much use to me. I'll explain why below.

3. Several plants and seeds for crops they don't have. I don't think they have maize, beans, or potatoes, and it might be worthwhile to introduce them. Potatoes in particular would be a godsend.

Now I ask Q to drop me outside of Oldtown. I take my cart into Oldtown, straight to the Citadel, and present them with my useless but fascinating electronic junk. They hopefully trade it to me for gold and the like just for the chance to examine them, and I use the gold and hopefully my crops and knowledge to get a position there. If the gold I get is sufficiently great, I might even be able to live comfortably in Oldtown for the next five years.

That's the safest route. Less safe, but more interesting, would be to take back the potatoes/maize/corn along with a modern assault rifle, and the full, detailed instructions (with pictures) on how to forge a 15th/16th century arquebus and make black-powder. I ask to be dropped outside of Casterly Rock, whereupon I present this all to Lord Tywin. I figure Tywin is one of the few lords who would quickly grasp the value of what I have, as well as possessing the gold to make it worthwhile. If I'm fortunate, I then spend the remaining five years at the Rock, helping to make guns and successfully cultivate the new crops.

I'm assuming that I'm literate in the Common Tongue, as well as being able to speak it. In which case, I would go back with three things:1. As much information as possible on how to build arquebuses and mix blackpowder (or smokeless powder, if it's possible), better agricultural techniques, and so forth. Nothing too complicated, and all stuff that a medieval society could hypothetically make and do.2. Some useless modern electronic stuff, including cheap watches. Stuff that Westeros could never make, but which wouldn't be of much use to me. I'll explain why below.3. Several plants and seeds for crops they don't have. I don't think they have maize, beans, or potatoes, and it might be worthwhile to introduce them. Potatoes in particular would be a godsend.Now I ask Q to drop me outside of Oldtown. I take my cart into Oldtown, straight to the Citadel, and present them with my useless but fascinating electronic junk. They hopefully trade it to me for gold and the like just for the chance to examine them, and I use the gold and hopefully my crops and knowledge to get a position there. If the gold I get is sufficiently great, I might even be able to live comfortably in Oldtown for the next five years. That's the safest route. Less safe, but more interesting, would be to take back the potatoes/maize/corn along with a modern assault rifle, and the full, detailed instructions (with pictures) on how to forge a 15th/16th century arquebus and make black-powder. I ask to be dropped outside of Casterly Rock, whereupon I present this all to Lord Tywin. I figure Tywin is one of the few lords who would quickly grasp the value of what I have, as well as possessing the gold to make it worthwhile. If I'm fortunate, I then spend the remaining five years at the Rock, helping to make guns and successfully cultivate the new crops.

You are literate in the Common Tongue yes, and you can speak it as well.

And I was waiting to see if anyone would say this. On the board that I stole this from, going up to Tywin and saying: "look at all the shiny new toys I can give you!" was one of the more popular options. Dude does love to pay his debts.

And gathering up some potato's is a clever idea, but it might be better to take it to the North instead. Since the North has a much worse problem with feeding all of it's citizens than the South, you'll be able to fetch a much higher price.

Well, by the OP's terms, I'd want to get dropped in Oldtown, since so far it seems fairly safe. My cart would certainly contain some antibiotics, and lots and lots of books. I'd surreptitiously give me knowledge to the maesters, but try not to draw too much attention to myself, because I wouldn't want to give anyone a reason to murder me.

If I'm just there to mess with continuity, though, I'm bringing a cart full of explosives and demolishing the Twins before Robb strikes any deals with the Freys. Then I'd see if I could join up with the Starks, just to see what happens.

Finally, if I'm just there to have fun, I'm definitely going to Dorne. It has nice weather, plenty of wine, and relaxed sexual mores.

What a silly question, where would I go? Well let me answer that with another question: What is it that they say about Dornish girls again? :laugh:

Honestly though, if the aim is merely to survive Dorne would be pretty legit. Since it's separated by the mountains I sincerely doubt it will ever be invaded, trade seems good (no shortage of supplies) and Dorne has so far kept itself out of the war of the five kings. Seems like a safe bet to me.

My cart would include 21st century gadgets that could pass off for magic at the time :D

Well, by the OP's terms, I'd want to get dropped in Oldtown, since so far it seems fairly safe. My cart would certainly contain some antibiotics, and lots and lots of books. I'd surreptitiously give me knowledge to the maesters, but try not to draw too much attention to myself, because I wouldn't want to give anyone a reason to murder me.

I was totally about to post this exact same thing.

But, yes. Oldtown. Cart of full of books containing loads of modern knowledge. Maesters.

I would also bring a lot of toiletries and cotton clothing. Afterwards, I'd pay a woman with whom Walder Frey has slept to claim that I'm a Frey bastard. Once situated safely in the Twins, I'll watch shit fall apart around me.

Cart load of gold and certain chemicals and set up a shop in King's Landing. Invent gunpowder, then the flintlock pistol and demonstrate it at the Hand's Tourney. Maybe make rifled muskets as well.Use gold to buy more certain chemicals from traders to keep business afloat.

It's likely you'd get punished for cheating.

Archived