[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 6

Xray the Enforcer

Heh, it appears I'm not the only one happy to see Jorah back. (And kind of wishing for Dany to take him back as a lover, instead of that Tyroshi sellsword. :P)

But I think I'm somewhat inclined to think that at this point Jorah has found himself a plan B of getting back to Westeros, Cersei's offer to make him a lord for a dwarf's head must be tempting right about now (and what luck to have said dwarf blunder into the same establishment, woo). Cause, really, how would a bound and gagged Tyrion present make Dany take him back?

Alas...

(Hoping that there wont be this sad twist of Tyrion surviving until the end of the book series only to have him fall ill with greyscale. :P)

I suspect that at this point he means Cersei. Why would he think Tyrion would be of any value to Dany?

Of course once Tyrion figures out the score with Jorah I'm sure he'll be able to talk his way into switching queens...

Not a chance. Jorah screwed up bad, but he loves Danaerys and I believe will remain loyal to her forever. In Tyrion, he sees the thing he wants most in the world - a chance to regain her favor. Jorah take Tyrion to Cersei? The man isn't that stupid. Likely she would kill him for being in league with Varys, or Ned, or someone, and at best, all she might do was give him back Bear Island. All Bear Island is to Jorah Mormont is the place farthest in this world from Danaerys.

Killing a dragon with a trebuchet would be exceedingly difficult.

In Westerosi war, as opposed to Cyvasse, the preferred method for killing a dragon, of course, is a bigger dragon. But if you don't have one of those lying around, I would think you would want to use a barrage of ballista fire. You could use catapult (a trebuchet would take far too long to position) and fire chain. It tears the rigging of ships to shreds, and it might well do the same to the wings of a dragon. Once it his the ground, I'd use harpoon guns. Once you have a dragon winged and weighted to the ground, you will kill it eventually. Hell, at that point, you might even use a trebuchet.

pg 276 of the US hardcover.

Tyrion figured out that Young Griff was more than he seemed to be, but I doubt that he believes the boy is a prince. As they are playing cyvasse Tyrion advises him to go west and settle in Dorne (which made me think that he believed the whole ´replaced baby´ story) but a while later on when the boy commands Tyrion to pick up the cyvasse pieces (after he lost the game for not keeping his dragon close, snigger), Tyrion muses: He may well be a Targaryen after all. I can just see him smirk...

• 4 weeks later...

so I was sort of hoping for an explanation of the weird loop thing they went through in the Sorrows that took them under the Bridge of Dreams (and everything else) twice. I thought maybe something sinister and supernatural was going on and they might have been in danger of going around in circles forever, lost in the Sorrows. But then the next chapter, boom! they are safely out of the Sorrows and nothing more is mentioned of them passing through everything TWICE (not even a "Wasn't that strange?" - considering that passing under the Bridge again nearly resulted in all their deaths.) Anyone got any ideas?

Tyrion figured out that Young Griff was more than he seemed to be, but I doubt that he believes the boy is a prince. As they are playing cyvasse Tyrion advises him to go west and settle in Dorne (which made me think that he believed the whole ´replaced baby´ story) but a while later on when the boy commands Tyrion to pick up the cyvasse pieces (after he lost the game for not keeping his dragon close, snigger), Tyrion muses: He may well be a Targaryen after all. I can just see him smirk...

I noticed that too and wondered whether or not Tyrion believes he's Aegon. I don't know if I believe it, but he gave some really good advice to him. Too bad he won't follow it.

I really hope Jorah is taking Tyrion to Dany and not Cersei, but who knows what Dany will do to him since she's been warned not to trust the coming Lion.

• 2 weeks later...

First, I asked myself how Tyrion knew so much about Dany and her past leading up to Meereen. Did Illyrio give him all of the background information? I found that an odd gap if not. Tyrion did not know anything about Dany or her dragons until he arrived in Pentos.

Next, GRRM must have spent some of his loooong 6 years of work on this book studying the history of global slavery. Xaros in Dany's last chapter and then Qavo in this chapter made arguments about slaves and slavery which parrell arguments made in support of slavery throughout history -- most recently in the U.S. Congress in the 1850's. Splendidly done IMHO.

Finally, who else finds it odd that Melisandre's flames tell her a totally different story about Azor Ahai than Bennerro's flames, much less Thoros has not even made it an issue to the BWB?

Finally, who else finds it odd that Melisandre's flames tell her a totally different story about Azor Ahai than Bennerro's flames, much less Thoros has not even made it an issue to the BWB?

No, I don't find this "odd" at all and think it's one of the better parts of GRRM's storytelling.

Having members of the same religion come up with different interpretations or prophecies about what their deities are telling them is par for the course. It's extremely common in world history. Even if both Melisandre and Bennerro are completely sincere about their beliefs, this would be an expected event. Plus it's still possible that one of both of them will be revealed as not being sincere and to be consciously making up their prophecies for personal political gain.

It will be quite interesting to see how the conflict is resolved. I'd love to see a debate between Melisandre and Bennerro later in ASOIAF somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a chance. Jorah screwed up bad, but he loves Danaerys and I believe will remain loyal to her forever. In Tyrion, he sees the thing he wants most in the world - a chance to regain her favor. Jorah take Tyrion to Cersei? The man isn't that stupid. Likely she would kill him for being in league with Varys, or Ned, or someone, and at best, all she might do was give him back Bear Island. All Bear Island is to Jorah Mormont is the place farthest in this world from Danaerys.

Absolutely.

Jorah is devoted to Dany, somehow he thinks Tyrion will help him regain Dany's favor. They both are coming to save the pretty queen's ass.

I can't imagine him calling Cersei "the queen", Dany is the only queen in his mind.

So I'm confident about their destination.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I liked the scene with Tyrion doing the cartwheels as well as offering to pay for the carpet so Freckles wouldn't get in trouble-it showed his humanity is coming back.

And a cool ending to the chapter having Jorah as a mystery knight-not sure and can't wait to find out which queen he's taking Tyrion to!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It frightens me to think Jorah might take Tyrion to Cersei. If he IS planning that, perhaps he'll hear about Cersei's fall from grace and make a change of plans. But really, I do think he means Dany. The dwarf is the brother of the man who killed her father, so he'd make a decent gift. I think he wants nothing more than to be back by her side. Also, Dany really needs Tyrion's brain.

And Tyrion, for Gods' sake. Lay off the wine!

• 3 weeks later...

I still have not seen a reason why Jorah would see any incentive to take Tyrion to Daenerys. How could Tyrion possibly serve as Jorah's trump card in getting back into Daenerys' good graces. This is not to say that I am confident that he is taking Tyrion to Cersei, but I am skeptical of Jorah's reasoning if he were to take Tyrion to Meereen, to say the least.

What would he gain from taking Tyrion to Dany? im pretty sure he's going to Cersie to get his pardon. Also from what I remember melisandre and the priest gave the same prophecy , only difference being she reffered to stannis. but she admits she makes mistakes and must most people believe its danys prophecy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think it would make sense if Jorah was to take Tyrion to Cersei, since that would give him the pardon (not to mention a lordship) that he so desperately wants.

But since when has Jorah been sensible. The man thinks with his heart, when it comes to Dany. So, I feel like he's going to take Tyrion to Dany. I'm not sure how that's going to get him back in her good graces, but I'm sure it makes sense in his warped mind. I mean, the man is obsessed with her.

• 3 months later...

Archived