[ADWD SPOILERS] The Dragontamer

Xray the Enforcer

Disappointed to see him die as he seemed like a decent guy. Too bad Dany was too stupid to realize that having Dorne support her with an army already in Westeros was better than anything Daario or Hizdahr could offer.

He was a little stupid though, thinking he could steal a dragon. Ah well.

He is dead, or seriously injured. But I'm voting for the death. It's a pity, Quentyn was a nice guy, I really think he would make it when was dealing with Viserion, but Rhaegal was here, and make a toast Quentyn. Epic failure for Dorne.

As unlikely as it seems to me, Spacelord is right- no mention of any pain. Dany's clothes and hair did burn so he could have survived (which in itself may win over the dragons).

This has to have been the dumbest plan in the series though, seriously- what was he expecting the second dragon to do whilst they were unchaining then rechaining the first? Did they have a plan to stop the dragon they were taking from burning them? How were they going to just wheel a dragon out?!?

In the end, Quentyn's inexperience in battle/dangerous situations showed, as he had no idea that letting one dragon block the exit and trapping himself between the two of them (thus having to turn his back on one) might have been a situation best avoided...

I don't see why Dany was stupid to think that Dorne's support was important at that time. She doesn't really have any attachment to Westeros, she has good friends and, more importantly for her being a good queen, obligations in Meereen that she can't abandon, and she has already promised to marry. Why would she think dropping all this for one guy and his two friends who don't seem to have any other back up would be a good idea? Just because we want her to trot off and save the day over in Westeros doesn't mean that she wants to do this.

On the good idea front, who thought that trying to tame two giant fire-breathing reptiles or whatever without even a crash course in basic dragon taming was a good idea? Coz of course they'll take really well to being carted through the city! And then what? Where was he planning on keeping them? I bet they'll love being on a ship even more! Just letting them out would probably have been a better plan. Poor Quentyn.

I feel about jerked around by this chapter/character. I don't imagine he's alive. Maybe, but I was starting to like him. He seemed to be taking the spurning thing well and was bound and determined to do something.

I kind of felt like he was a bit of a contrived character, created only to free the dragons and let them loose. Perhaps this is part of Martin's knot. Not sure.

I would have liked to see him live and marry his plain girl back home. But, such is not the world of GRRM!

FWIW, this chapter is probably my favorite in the entire book (or a very close second behind Dany's chapter at the fighting pit -- can't quite decide). The atmosphere, the nervousness and fear of Quentyn, the dark doings deep in the bowels of the pyramid, the way the tension keeps mounting, the sense of impending disaster -- from start to finish, I thought it was amazing.

Poor Quentyn.

FWIW, this chapter is probably my favorite in the entire book (or a very close second behind Dany's chapter at the fighting pit -- can't quite decide). The atmosphere, the nervousness and fear of Quentyn, the dark doings deep in the bowels of the pyramid, the way the tension keeps mounting, the sense of impending disaster -- from start to finish, I thought it was amazing.

Poor Quentyn.

Not my favorite - definitely one of them - but I agree on the assessment. I also love the title :laugh: so mocking but not unexpected.

I must admit the end filled me with some disappointment. We follow Quentyn for the entire book only to have him turned into dragon barbecue.

Ah, well. At least he didn't tuck his tail between his legs and go back to Dorne. THAT wold have made him utterly pointless.

At least now the dragons are free to do some mischief (though it is a bit lame if this was Quentyn's sole purpose in the story). And oops, I guess there's that dragon-taming horn that could cause trouble too in the future...

Kinda feel bad for Quentyn, his trip was big failure after another once he got to Meereen. Serioulsy he fails when it comes to dany,and then he hatches the stupid idea of getting the dragon out. what did he think would happen? the dragon would just go "Okey dookey" and let him chain him/her up?

Great chapter though.

I don't think he is dead.

If he is though, then his story has been completely irrellevant.

I don't have an issue with main characters or POV's dying, in fact I think it's great and keeps the story unpredicatbale. As long as their actions added something to the overall story, ie Ned died but his actions changed things. Same with Rob, Joffrey, etc. However, Quentin has not interacted with anyone relevant during his journey and only briefly with Dany, who basically brushed him aside. If he died purely to release the dragons, reading about him would have been utterly pointless.

The dragons could have easily been released by the new King whilst they tried to kill them for instance. And Doran will probably just join up with Aegon, which he could have done regardless.....

Also, I think GRRM made a point of telling us the Tattered Prince wanted Pentos of Quentyn. This will still have a tail I think, and Quentin needs to be alive for that me thinks.

So my hope is that he isn't dead.

Finally. The dude's POV has been even more boring than Victarion. Also, a virgin? He surely looked like the Forever Alone guy.

Go V & R, find mama! :thumbsup:

haha good I'm not the only one who thinks the same thing about Victarion. He does have a cool name though.

Anyway, as far as Q being dead--I don't know. Why would GRRM take all that time to introduce us to him and have POV chapters from him if he was just going to die. Ok, ok, so it HAS been known to happen before BUT even though things seem pretty dire at the moment for poor little Q, I don't think we've seen the end of him. Who knows, maybe another Red Priest will pop up and magically fix him.

Loved the "Oh" reaction as he is burning. Glad to see him go and don't think he'll be coming back (sure hope not). His POV provided some interesting info on the free companies and what is happening around Dany but his arc really didn't add anything else to the story other than letting V and R loose to cause some death and destruction. Thought Dany would make better use of him and add some swords.

Really wish GRRM would have used some of his pages on someone else since he is most likely dead but oh well.

Archived