Survivor: South Pacific

pat5150

Only a couple more weeks to go before September 14th. And after the travesty that were both Survivor: Nicaragua and Survivor: Redemption Island, here's to hoping that Survivor: South Pacific will be a throwback season.

The official casting hasn't been revealed yet by CBS, but the usual suspects have done their detective work and they're habitually right on the money. You can find their unofficial casting here.

Cheers,

Patrick

Hmm, so Ozzy and Coach are both back for the third time and I just have to ask... why?

Ozzy I can at least understand because he was a dominant player his first season (and would have won had he been sitting next to anyone other than Yul) and he also set himself up to be a dominant player his second season before he was blinded by Amanda's breasts which let him be blindsided by Parvati's all-woman alliance. Coach, though, has not shown any propensity for the actual game of Survivor. He has played badly both times he's played, and even his "I made out with the Grand Priestess of the Papau New Guinea face-eater tribe and all I got was this stupid scar (it's not an acne scar, it's from where she totally tried to eat my face! I swear!)" schtick got old during his first season. What has he done to deserve another shot?

Was Phillip's insanity and tremendous sense of self-worth such a success last season that they decided they'd bring Coach back again because the ante has now been raised?

If they're going to bring people back, it should be an all out All Stars or another Fans vs. Favorites type setting. Have the producers of the show really gotten so bored with it's basic concept that they can't just cast regular people (instead of one or two regular people who won contests and a bunch of models hand-picked from LA bars and coffee shops) and have the regular show anymore?

Are we currently watching the death throes of Survivor?

I agree with everything you say about Coach. Kind of excited about Ozzy, though...

Though the ratings have been on the decline for many years, they have stabilized in the last couple of years. And losing about a million viewers while going against American Idol is probably perceived as a victory by the folks at CBS. Considering that the last two seasons were both crapfests, the ratings were more or less maintained. So I figure that, basically, it's mostly the hardcore fans watching nowadays.

Season 23 will begin soon and they are already filming the 24th in Samoa. If these two seasons maintain what CBS acceptable ratings (meaning if the ratings don't go down again), I believe Survivor will continue...

Patrick

I am a huge fan of this show. Almost to the point of being obsessed. I have tried out numerous times, and made it pretty far in the interviewing process, but never made the show. I have also watched every single episode of every single season. It is by far my favorite show.

I personally do not mind seeing returning players to the game. I think that this probably helps initial ratings for each season, as there is already someone familiar with the viewer. For this reason, Coach is probably the best candidate to return, because despite his being a complete tool, he is one of the most memorable players to ever play.

The thing that I do not like is the redemption island aspect that they are using. It is a dumb idea. If a person has been kicked out of the game by the other players, then it is beyond obvious that they will be kicked out again by the same players when they return. All it does is take away screen time where we could be watching strategy of people who are actually playing the game.

I am a huge fan of this show. Almost to the point of being obsessed. I have tried out numerous times, and made it pretty far in the interviewing process, but never made the show. I have also watched every single episode of every single season. It is by far my favorite show.

Go more into this. I've always wondered what the interview process was like.

Yes, we must know more about the interview process. In my case, not because I plan on trying out (although I would have liked to!) but the mechanism behind the curtain always fascinates me.

Maybe you didn't get far enough along to get a read on it, though. In which case, we forgive you.

I too welcome the thought of getting to watch the awesomeness of the Oz once again. And unlike the rest of you, I still haven't had my fill of Coach. I may have to invent a wind-up Coach doll that will spout amusing phrases upon demand.

I like Coach well enough. It's just that, other than being entertaining with his unbelievable stories and his talk about honor and all that crap, he doesn't bring anything to the game. Ozzy is an awesome player. It will be interesting to watch if he can somehow downplay the fact that he is one of the most competitive castaways in Survivor history to stick around a while. Otherwise, à la Russell, they might show him the exit soon enough. Yet he could easily make quite a run for it at Redemption Island and perhaps return later on to dominate again...

We'll have to wait and see... :)

Patrick

I like Coach well enough. It's just that, other than being entertaining with his unbelievable stories and his talk about honor and all that crap, he doesn't bring anything to the game. Ozzy is an awesome player. It will be interesting to watch if he can somehow downplay the fact that he is one of the most competitive castaways in Survivor history to stick around a while. Otherwise, à la Russell, they might show him the exit soon enough. Yet he could easily make quite a run for it at Redemption Island and perhaps return later on to dominate again...

We'll have to wait and see... :)

Patrick

Yeah, I too would like this next season to be more about the physical challenge end of it as opposed to the pretty boy/girl and personality angle.

I just have a small, niggling fear that if it's unrelieved seriousness, then it might not be as entertaining as we would like.

As for Ozzy and Redemption Island, the concept seems almost custom made for him, doesn't it?

I have a feeling that whichever team Ozzy ends up being on, he will attract at least a few devout followers, not unlike Rob, so his stay, at least initially, will be secure. Coach brings absolutely nothing to the game aside from pure entertainment value.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that Ozzy is at least guaranteed jury whether it's leading his tribe through challenges or dominating at RI. If the guy is still as phenomenal an athlete as he was his last two go-rounds, I can see him running the table and making it to the end. And if anything, the huge blindside he faced his last game will make him even more on his guard.

As a viewer, I love Ozzy. If I'm a player and I see Ozzy coming out of that chopper, I want him out ASAP. The guy has charisma, a great personality, and is awesome in challenges. I'd take my chance with his dominating at Redemption Island and then worry about my own game. If he comes back later in the game, an alliance can easily take him out. If he makes it to the Top 3, he wins, no question. Only someone like Yul prevented him from winning the first time, but I think Ozzy would probably trump any other participants in the history of Survivor.

Other than James, Ozzy is the only castaway I have ever actively rooted for...

Patrick

Go more into this. I've always wondered what the interview process was like.

Sorry, I misplaces this thread somehow...

There is really not a whole lot to go into. I had three interviews here in Dallas after going to an open casting call, and flew out to LA for another one. I didn't get the gig. Oh, the LA catering sucked...

From what I understand, this series casts for "roles". I am a big, boisterous, loudmouth guy who likes to laugh and joke a lot. Most of the questions in the interview process had to do with things you liked and disliked. They seemed to like a strong personality and dislike ambiguous answers.

Sorry, I misplaces this thread somehow...

There is really not a whole lot to go into. I had three interviews here in Dallas after going to an open casting call, and flew out to LA for another one. I didn't get the gig. Oh, the LA catering sucked...

From what I understand, this series casts for "roles". I am a big, boisterous, loudmouth guy who likes to laugh and joke a lot. Most of the questions in the interview process had to do with things you liked and disliked. They seemed to like a strong personality and dislike ambiguous answers.

I remember watching a documentary about Reality TV shows that mentioned that. It had a woman on there who talked about how she'd been cast on a version of "Survivor" probably because she was the "blonde with big boobs".

The folks from Survivor Sucks unveiled the cast photos yesterday. Lots of eye candy again this year, both male and female. But will any of them have game??? :worried:

Check it out here.

Patrick

I actually don't care about Ozzy. I hated him on FvF. I am excited to have Coach back. I couldn't stand him on Tocantins, but I really have grown to appreciate him through thinking back on the season and also his time on HvV. Agreed with the sentiment that Redemption Island is a huge benefit for Ozzy.

Archived