Read, you fools!

deleted01

I watched the tv show and fell in love. After that I read the books then bought them for my mom who read them and passed them on to my aunt. They both love them! I'm lucky though, in was raised in a family of readers, and we've always liked the fantasy genre (my favorite movie growing up was Willow...man I bet I watched it at least twice a week).

Anyway, so while it wasn't a hard sell to get my family into them, my husband is a different story. I don't think he's ever read a book not required for school. And when I tried to get him to watch the tv series with me on my re-watch, he was all "who's that" and "why'd they do that" every 5 seconds. It pissed me off so now he's no longer allowed in the room when I watch.

Hmm, you really can't help it. The books are not for everyone. They are 1000 pages fat and GRRM has that "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me " attitude(which I appreciate a lot) because of which the books are not advertised as Harry Potters and shit and the story is completely free from all possible influences which can be exerted by the needy public or the publishers.

most of the good books, movies, Bands are the ones who have just a good and totally crazy fan base. They are not for the masses.

I watched the tv show and fell in love. After that I read the books then bought them for my mom who read them and passed them on to my aunt. They both love them! I'm lucky though, in was raised in a family of readers, and we've always liked the fantasy genre (my favorite movie growing up was Willow...man I bet I watched it at least twice a week).

Anyway, so while it wasn't a hard sell to get my family into them, my husband is a different story. I don't think he's ever read a book not required for school. And when I tried to get him to watch the tv series with me on my re-watch, he was all "who's that" and "why'd they do that" every 5 seconds. It pissed me off so now he's no longer allowed in the room when I watch.

:lol: I hate it when people do that! It's like, we're watching the same damn thing! Yeah I'm kind of surprised my mum hasn't shown more of an interest in both the TV show and the books, both my parents were big readers, but I think my mum hates having to wear her glasses to read now :rofl:

Hmm, you really can't help it. The books are not for everyone. They are 1000 pages fat and GRRM has that "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me " attitude(which I appreciate a lot) because of which the books are not advertised as Harry Potters and shit and the story is completely free from all possible influences which can be exerted by the needy public or the publishers.

most of the good books, movies, Bands are the ones who have just a good and totally crazy fan base. They are not for the masses.

Yeah I know, without someone introducing me to them, I never would have looked twice, and I hadn't even seen it advertised because we don't have cable at home (we have Freeview, which is like, basic channels). I just get a bit frustrated with people's reactions to my attempting to get them interested. Though I think I have won one person over for the TV show! And my cousin has bought the first book :D happy days!

Most of my friends don't read very much, but I have one friend who reads quite often, and he happens to love the GOT TV show.

But anytime I try to convince him to read the books he complains that they're too long :(

Yeahh, the person I just celebrated about getting into the TV show just told me that he "can't remember ever reading a book" - direct fucking quote <_< Well, at least I'll have someone to talk to about the TV show.. hanging on my cousin enjoying the first book now! I understand that they're pretty damn long, and do take some commitment, but if they were any shorter I think we'd all be more anxious to read the next ones x)

Most of my friends don't read very much, but I have one friend who reads quite often, and he happens to love the GOT TV show.

But anytime I try to convince him to read the books he complains that they're too long :(

Ugh, that'S such a terrible excuse, imo! I hate it when people say stuff like that.

Yes, the books are big, but they are such page-turners that it doesn't matter anymore, and you will get hooked at some point and then read on regardless how long they are. And what exactly is the difference between reading one big book and 3 shorter ones? :bang: Makes me irrationally angry. sorry for the rant

I utterly hate the excuse 'I don't have time to read'.

Me too!!! :commie: There is always time to read!!! Mind you.....I do often read at the expense of my uni work..........probably not the best thing to do.... :unsure:......it's just so much more interesting than uni work though!!!! :D

whenever my friend told me he wouldn't read the books because they're too long, I told him they're not long enough!

IMO you really don't even realize how long the books are when you're reading them because they're so damn awesome. It's not like you're reading a boring text book from school or something :bang:

I hate when people say the books are too long to read! That just means there is more to love IMO. I pretty much won't read anything that's not part of a series...one book is just never enough for me.

My husband and I , we are both dedicated readers and have the same weird, politically mostly incorrect, dirty sense of humour and when we are joking about the books our kids are convinced that we never left puberty. They love the series but don't have the patience for thick books if there are no molecules, strings or quarks in them. I only hope that reading for pure pleasure comes back again when they are older. We fifty year olds in the middle of puberty just love totally pointless long books.

There are not sooo many fans in Germany, it is maybe because the books appear in idontknowhowmany volumes and so very late. Apart from that I don't like the translation, the names in German are somewhat ... wrong. And the series come out about six months too late in German tv, awful! Fortunately there is the web.

Me too!!! :commie: There is always time to read!!! Mind you.....I do often read at the expense of my uni work..........probably not the best thing to do.... :unsure:......it's just so much more interesting than uni work though!!!! :D

This! :commie: I make sure I have time to read before I go to bed now though, instead of reading all day like I used to :lol:

I notice you say university.. a fellow Englishman?! :D Which university are you at, my friend?

whenever my friend told me he wouldn't read the books because they're too long, I told him they're not long enough!

IMO you really don't even realize how long the books are when you're reading them because they're so damn awesome. It's not like you're reading a boring text book from school or something :bang:

I agree! I've been doing a reread, reading just at night, and I'm on AFFC already. I'm like.. um, dafuq happened?!

I hate when people say the books are too long to read! That just means there is more to love IMO. I pretty much won't read anything that's not part of a series...one book is just never enough for me.

Oh yeah, one of my favourite books is The Crimson Petal and The White (highly recommended!) and the author refuses to do a sequel. Well he did like a 100 page novella thing with loads of different relevant stories in, but it's not a sequel, and I have NO IDEA what happened to Sugar :bawl: That might be why I love the Sookie Stackhouse books - 13 books planned, is there? One released every year? Lovely jubbly! :lol:

My husband and I , we are both dedicated readers and have the same weird, politically mostly incorrect, dirty sense of humour and when we are joking about the books our kids are convinced that we never left puberty. They love the series but don't have the patience for thick books if there are no molecules, strings or quarks in them. I only hope that reading for pure pleasure comes back again when they are older. We fifty year olds in the middle of puberty just love totally pointless long books.

There are not sooo many fans in Germany, it is maybe because the books appear in idontknowhowmany volumes and so very late. Apart from that I don't like the translation, the names in German are somewhat ... wrong. And the series come out about six months too late in German tv, awful! Fortunately there is the web.

Oh yes :devil: If they don't want us to *find other ways* of watching TV shows and films we love, then they should make them available for everyone, on the basic TV in every country, at the same time :lol:

I'm 20, and have always been reading. Maybe it's because I didn't have a TV in my bedroom, I had a computer but my internet was taken away at around 10pm on schoolnights, and when I was grounded, that meant, grounded, so no internet then either, so I had nothing else to do but read. My brother and sister, they've had TV's in their bedrooms for years, they get to keep them when they're grounded.. I don't know, for fear of sounding like I'm way older than I actually am, I definitely think it's a case of "too much, too young". These kids have no imagination!

I notice you say university.. a fellow Englishman?! :D Which university are you at, my friend?

Hehe.....nah I'm welsh!!! :laugh: And I go to a university in Wales!! :D That should narrow it down for you......there aren't many universities in Wales... :P

I introduced it to my son, 20 who loves the books as much as I do... Although he refuses to read spoiler chapters, so I can't discuss the Gift Chapter or Arianne's etc with him.... which burns me up!! However, it's been awesome to share it with him. (I also got him into Tolkien when he was younger so he's A-OK in my book ;-))

A friend of mine liked the TV show, so I got him to try the books... and he whined that they were too long. I just rolled my eyes.

Plus, there are several ppl at work who I've tried to turn on to the books (cuz I KNOW they would love them!) and it never fails, they always say something like "I haven't gotten around to it yet." And I always say the same thing in response: WTF are you waiting for?

But what can ya do? It's their loss :-)

Like a good number of you I started reading after the show came out. I almost didn't give the show a chance but then I came to my senses and watched 9 episodes in three days. I flew through the books and then almost right off the bat I started preaching the good news of ASOIAF. I loaned my copy of AGOT to a girl at work who was taking so long with it that I bought another copy so I could start a re-read. I may parlay the books into a date with another girl from the office. A couple of my teammates from softball are big fans of the show but refuse to read the books. It's terrible how people who like the show won't give the books a chance. If my hair was long enough I'd pull it out in frustration.

Hehe.....nah I'm welsh!!! :laugh: And I go to a university in Wales!! :D That should narrow it down for you......there aren't many universities in Wales... :P

Swansea?! I'm in Plymouth! :D What are you studying? I guess I should have said fellow.. UK-er? :lol:

Casually derailing my own thread, as I do :rofl:

I introduced it to my son, 20 who loves the books as much as I do... Although he refuses to read spoiler chapters, so I can't discuss the Gift Chapter or Arianne's etc with him.... which burns me up!! However, it's been awesome to share it with him. (I also got him into Tolkien when he was younger so he's A-OK in my book ;-))

A friend of mine liked the TV show, so I got him to try the books... and he whined that they were too long. I just rolled my eyes.

Plus, there are several ppl at work who I've tried to turn on to the books (cuz I KNOW they would love them!) and it never fails, they always say something like "I haven't gotten around to it yet." And I always say the same thing in response: WTF are you waiting for?

But what can ya do? It's their loss :-)

Oh that's brilliant! I wish I had someone so close to talk to about it all the time. Like I said, my housemate sucks :lol: I had to remind her who Ned was.. no shit!

Like a good number of you I started reading after the show came out. I almost didn't give the show a chance but then I came to my senses and watched 9 episodes in three days. I flew through the books and then almost right off the bat I started preaching the good news of ASOIAF. I loaned my copy of AGOT to a girl at work who was taking so long with it that I bought another copy so I could start a re-read. I may parlay the books into a date with another girl from the office. A couple of my teammates from softball are big fans of the show but refuse to read the books. It's terrible how people who like the show won't give the books a chance. If my hair was long enough I'd pull it out in frustration.

;) Aww yeah, these books seem to be quite a good dating device! I think it was Littlefinger's Lash who mentioned setting up an ASOIAF dating website :lol: Now that'd be interesting!

I can't get anyone I know to read them! My husband reads books in fits and starts and rarely at that. My son never, ever reads and my daughter, who is an avid reader, has no interest in them at all. As far as friends and colleagues go, no-one's heard of GRRM apart from one chap I work with who watched most of the TV series but shies away from reading the books. Oh and I often get the 'oh no, I don't like fantasy' line, even though they've never tried it! I'll not give in though, I'll harp on and on about them until they're sick to death of hearing about it!

Swansea?! I'm in Plymouth! :D What are you studying? I guess I should have said fellow.. UK-er? :lol:

Casually derailing my own thread, as I do :rofl:

............yes......Swansea......... :unsure:............not something I'd normally advertise.......

Oh and I'm doing a joint honours.....history and politics.... :)

Archived