When did Stannis Baratheon become your favourite character?

TheFlayedMan

I've also been looking forward to seeing Stannis ever since AGoT and despite the first impression I got after ACoK not being entirely favorable, he has since become my second favourite character, right behind Davos. The turning point was the moment when he named Davos his Hand. One of the best chapters in the series IMO.

Neither should be insulted, I love them both!

really? I like Stannis for sure, and John Adams... he created my fucking country, its impossible to not respect him for that reason alone. However Stannis is a fucking psycho that has big brother issues and would chop off his men's fingers, etc etc.

John Adams was a pretty shitty prez. He pissed off every other nation, he thought he was god, he pissed all over the 1st amendment and his wacky laws were precedents for all types of stupid presidental laws

really? I like Stannis for sure, and John Adams... he created my fucking country, its impossible to not respect him for that reason alone. However Stannis is a fucking psycho that has big brother issues and would chop off his men's fingers, etc etc.

John Adams was a pretty shitty prez. He pissed off every other nation, he thought he was god, he pissed all over the 1st amendment and his wacky laws were precedents for all types of stupid presidental laws

Stannis isn't psycho, he has some issues. Who doesn't? But beneath his iron will is a reasonable man willing to listen to advice and show mercy when he can.

Adams was a better President than all those fucking Virginia slave-owners (Washington excepted) we kept electing for the first quarter century of our existence. Adams wanted a stronger navy, and those Virginian idiots (ahem, Jefferson) blocked it, only to end up going to war with Britain a decade later over Britain abusing our merchant ships! Sure he passed some bad laws, but it can't all be perfect. And he was the single most important leader of the revolution in its early days. Ok I'm way off topic but I love John Adams and have to defend his honor :fencing:

Stannis isn't psycho, he has some issues. Who doesn't? But beneath his iron will is a reasonable man willing to listen to advice and show mercy when he can.

Adams was a better President than all those fucking Virginia slave-owners (Washington excepted) we kept electing for the first quarter century of our existence. Adams wanted a stronger navy, and those Virginian idiots (ahem, Jefferson) blocked it, only to end up going to war with Britain a decade later over Britain abusing our merchant ships! Sure he passed some bad laws, but it can't all be perfect. And he was the single most important leader of the revolution in its early days. Ok I'm way off topic but I love John Adams and have to defend his honor :fencing:

Stannis is not psycho. i retract that statement, however he does have problems, more then most. And i did give John Adams credit for America. If not full, more then Washington/Jefferson/Franklin/ etc.

John Adams did want a navy, and it's unfortunate that Jefferson ended it, but the Louisiana Purchase looked tempting and he prob thought Napoleon was going to win the war anyway.

Now that i said all that sub par nice things about him...

He passed the Alien and Sedition acts. Can you really defend that? What honor did Adams have when he wiped his ass with the 1st amendment.

He is my favorite character in the entire series, I'm not sure when he became it though. I just find him downright hilarious and extremely entertaining for some reason.

I find Stannis funnier than Tyrion. The whole conversation at the Wall when they are discussing Janos Slynt is gold.

Stannis is my favourite male character together with Davos.

Now this is going to be a painful confession and will make me look like a softie: I loved Stannis since I read about the hurt hawk he tried to save as a child. Before I was able to respect him but this little detail also gave him the humanity I really needed to like him.

Stannis is not psycho. i retract that statement, however he does have problems, more then most. And i did give John Adams credit for America. If not full, more then Washington/Jefferson/Franklin/ etc.

John Adams did want a navy, and it's unfortunate that Jefferson ended it, but the Louisiana Purchase looked tempting and he prob thought Napoleon was going to win the war anyway.

Now that i said all that sub par nice things about him...

He passed the Alien and Sedition acts. Can you really defend that? What honor did Adams have when he wiped his ass with the 1st amendment.

No I can't defend Adams' signing of the Alien and Sedition acts any more than I can defend FDR's Japanese internment or Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus... but I still think they were all great Presidents and brilliant men.

Stannis is my favourite male character together with Davos.

Now this is going to be a painful confession and will make me look like a softie: I loved Stannis since I read about the hurt hawk he tried to save as a child. Before I was able to respect him but this little detail also gave him the humanity I really needed to like him.

:agree: Call me a big softie too, because I was also touched by this story.

My liking for him started to grow after his interactions with Jon which were equal parts hilarious and cool, but it's the gift chapter that really cinched it for me. AWESOME!

I can't pinpoint it. At some point I had the realization that few other characters could provide the level of raw emotion he did. At all times there's the real possiblity that he'll die/fail, the genuine concern whether he'll do the right thing. Whether he succeeds or fails, his quest is much more compelling than either Jon's or Dany's.

Also, he has the best name for a rallying cry in the whole series. No name will make you want to raise your fist more.

No I can't defend Adams' signing of the Alien and Sedition acts any more than I can defend FDR's Japanese internment or Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus... but I still think they were all great Presidents and brilliant men.

I have a feeling that your hinting we should not hijack this thread. But i have never been one to pick up on hints. :D .

FDR beat the Nazis and Licnoln preserved the union. What did Adams do besides getting most of his laws reversed (thank God) by Jefferson.

The Interment camps and the suspension of habeas corpus are def unjustifiable yet both of these laws are only possible with John Adams precedents.

Also Lincoln was our 16th (USA is a century old) FDR was our 32nd (USA is a century and a half old) Adams was our 2nd (10 years old) Thats when we need a strong prez, not a psycho (I wont retract that statement)

I liked Stannis from the minute I first heard (not literally!) the grinding of his teeth! He might be a man of 'iron' but I can't help feeling there's a vulnerability in him deep down...some sort of black sheep of the family syndrome, maybe? I love his dry sarcasm and his unerring sense of what is right and correct. Though in a way, his carryings on with Melisandre belie that sense. He's such an unhappy man, I want everything to go right for him and yeah, it'd make my life if he was to win the throne!

Stannis Stannis Stannis!!

He's not my favourite, not by a long shot. If however, his personality in the Theon gift chapter from TWoW is any indication of future Stannis, then he stands a good chance of getting in my top 3 faves in the coming books.

I don't think there was any single moment for me. My appreciation for Stannis grew slowly. By the end of ASoS, I was actually surprised at myself, at how glad I was to see Stannis at the Wall.

That's not a bad summary of the guy I suppose. It takes time, but once he's won your loyalty, you stay with him for good.

"'Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, and rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow Sea, and Hand of the King.'

For a moment Davos was too stunned to move. I woke this morning in his dungeon. 'Your Grace, you cannot… I am not fit man to be a King's Hand.'

'There is no man fitter.' Stannis sheathed Lightbringer, gave Davos his hand, and pulled him to his feet.

'I am lowborn,' Davos reminded him. 'An up jumped smuggler. your lords will never obey me.'

'Then we will make new lords.'"

This!

"'Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, and rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow Sea, and Hand of the King.'

For a moment Davos was too stunned to move. I woke this morning in his dungeon. 'Your Grace, you cannot… I am not fit man to be a King's Hand.'

'There is no man fitter.' Stannis sheathed Lightbringer, gave Davos his hand, and pulled him to his feet.

'I am lowborn,' Davos reminded him. 'An up jumped smuggler. your lords will never obey me.'

'Then we will make new lords.'"

So much this. In a world of realpolitik, favoritism and feudalism, here we have a man who would piss on it all and place the most able man in the station where he belongs. In contrast to other claimants, he rewards people when they earn it, and not solely because they happen to come from a house with a lot of swords.

So much this. In a world of realpolitik, favoritism and feudalism, here we have a man who would piss on it all and place the most able man in the station where he belongs. In contrast to other claimants, he rewards people when they earn it, and not solely because they happen to come from a house with a lot of swords.

In stark contrast to his wife and her family...

Archived