Underrated Characters

eyeheartsansa

Edmure Tully

He gets treated like dirt by everyone. Even Catelyn thinks of him as a blundering fool (I think, I can't remember any quotes though) when his worst failing seems to be that he's a little over eager and likes whoring.

I also lost a lot of respect for Robb when he made Edmure the scapegoat after Edmure turned back the Lannister forces at Riverrun. This was especially the case when Edmure was then forced to marry to make up for Robbs own major blunder with the Freys.

Am I the only one who feels majorly sorry for this guy?

Tristifer Botley, he may be a hopeless romantic in pursuit of Asha, but in the first Asha chapter of ADwD he demonstrates his intellect, pointing out to Asha the futility of her goal, even going so far as to say "You are clinging to Sea Dragon Point the way a drowning man clings to a bit of wreckage."

Oh yes, I thought I was the only one on the forum who does not see him as a silly lovesick puppy to Asha.

In the first season of the series, after Old Nan tell Bran about the Long Night and the "ice spiders big as hounds" Robb enters in the room and says that Old Nan used to say that the sky is blue because they live in the eye of a giant (who is probably blue-eyed) named "Macumber". And Bran deftly replies " Maybe it`s true".

Yeah, at first glance it seems improbable, but then I'm pretty much convinced an entire solar system could fit into Gotye's mouth, no problem.

@Earon I

I agree with everyone. I would also add:

Val, she is smart, strong and as her name suggests, valiant.

Tristifer Botley, he may be a hopeless romantic in pursuit of Asha, but in the first Asha chapter of ADwD he demonstrates his intellect, pointing out to Asha the futility of her goal, even going so far as to say "You are clinging to Sea Dragon Point the way a drowning man clings to a bit of wreckage."

Alys Kartark- she runs away rather than be forced to marry Cregan Karstark.

I agree with all of these as well :) I think we will see more of each of them, and it will be good stuff too.

I really like Tristifer Botley, I think he would make a great bannerman and seems to be brave enough to take his chances to reach high (Asha couldn't scare him off). He doesn't even seem bothered about loosing his lands and title much, very sympathetic.

We will see more of him I am sure. He is probably really really underrated in-world and among readers. He is one of my favourite non-POV characters. I'm a sucker for good-hearted and loyal...

Edmure Tully

He gets treated like dirt by everyone. Even Catelyn thinks of him as a blundering fool (I think, I can't remember any quotes though) when his worst failing seems to be that he's a little over eager and likes whoring.

I also lost a lot of respect for Robb when he made Edmure the scapegoat after Edmure turned back the Lannister forces at Riverrun. This was especially the case when Edmure was then forced to marry to make up for Robbs own major blunder with the Freys.

I think his weaknesses are real, but are also really exaggerated.

He's the kind of kind, good man, decent but not great leader who Bernard Cornwell likes to write about getting killed.

I really like Tristifer Botley, I think he would make a great bannerman and seems to be brave enough to take his chances to reach high (Asha couldn't scare him off). He doesn't even seem bothered about loosing his lands and title much, very sympathetic.

We will see more of him I am sure. He is probably really really underrated in-world and among readers. He is one of my favourite non-POV characters. I'm a sucker for good-hearted and loyal...

Oh, sweet. When I saw posts about him before, it was mostly about his "childish", "stupid" and similar love for Asha.

To me I have about four people in mind who I think are sorely underestimated.

1) Olenna Tyrell

We all know how calculating this old lady is!!! Just ask Joffrey! ;)

2) Podrick Payne

This kid is brave and fiercely loyal!

3) Doran Martell

His own family thinks him to be weak, but the Prince of Dorne is calculating and the fact that he is so patient sweetens the matter.

4) Wyman Manderly

Frey Pie!!!! Enough said!!!! ;)

1.) I actually think she had a hand in her husbands death

2.) he should wear a white cloak when he 's old enough

3.) he lost the least of all great houses and his enemies are even aware of his moves

4.) true true

Oh, sweet. When I saw posts about him before, it was mostly about his "childish", "stupid" and similar love for Asha.

Yay, more Botley fans!

I think loyal and nice comes off as stupid and meek in many peoples eyes. I think those still are better than cunning and ruthless, but we are all different I suppose... Cunning and ruthless are more fun to read about usually, and that makes characters popular? My 2 cents as they say...

Yay, more Botley fans!

I think loyal and nice comes off as stupid and meek in many peoples eyes. I think those still are better than cunning and ruthless, but we are all different I suppose... Cunning and ruthless are more fun to read about usually, and that makes characters popular? My 2 cents as they say...

Botley fans!

It is true that it is sometimes more fun to read about the plotting, celever characters, but Botley and other tender romantic souls are what makes the world of ASOIAF nicer and brighter.

Catelyn,

Euron,

Theon, his doom had the same cause as Robb's. He is his father's son.

Walder Frey

Brienne

Mycella

Craster,really is Craster any different than Stannis / all Westerosi Lords. He forces "flowered" girls to marry him and he's willing to sacrifice sons to his gods. Its not clear what the Others do with them. But we know what Melisandre does with them.

1.) I actually think she had a hand in her husbands death

2.) he should wear a white cloak when he 's old enough

3.) he lost the least of all great houses and his enemies are even aware of his moves

clearly not all the great houses. Also it depends in on what his objective is. If actually trying to play the game of thrones, then he's overrated. If he's trying to keep his people safe and out of it, then he's underrated.
4.) true true

Edmure Tully

I think his weaknesses are real, but are also really exaggerated.

He's the kind of kind, good man, decent but not great leader who Bernard Cornwell likes to write about getting killed.

He's over rated. You have people like Queen Cersei I out there saying he'd make a better Over Lord than the Blackfish. As if being a nice guy is some sort of redeeming characteristic in any position where you have responsibility for anything besides yourself. I hear George W. Bush is a nice guy.

Prince Oberyn was full of stories.” Garin had been with them as well that day; he was Arianne’s milk brother, and they had been inseparable since before they learned to walk. “He told about Prince Garin, I remember, the one that I was named for.”

“Garin the Great,” offered Drey, “the wonder of the Rhoyne.”

"That’s the one. He made Valyria tremble.”

“They trembled,” said Ser Gerold, “then they killed him. If I led a quarter of a million men to death, would they call me Gerold the Great?” He snorted. “I shall remain Darkstar, I think. At least it is mine own.”

clearly not all the great houses. Also it depends in on what his objective is. If actually trying to play the game of thrones, then he's overrated. If he's trying to keep his people safe and out of it, then he's underrated.

how many people did he lost? It's a single digit number and his objective is simple the dragons back

LOL!!! He helped Davos bring Edric to that ship, and then sailed off with him, to protect him. I really only like him becasue of his name

*pretends to remember who we are speaking about* Ahhhhh, that guy! He is of Tarth, right? There was some Endrew of Tarth somewhere ...

Sadly, there are no Buckwheats in Westeros, but I would surely like that character (it would most likely be a commoner). ;)

Archived