[Book Spoilers] What is your favorite theory you've seen from non-readers?

sarah.jenice

Everytime I hear one of my non-book reader friends say how much they're looking forward to seeing Dany come and fuck things up with her dragons in Westeros I struggle so hard not to laugh or let out a loud sigh. The show needs to establish soon that this won't be happening for a loong loong time.

I thought it was funny when I watched it with my cousin and he was convinced that the Smoke Baby was going to make a return and kill heaps of people in the Blackwater episode, when I explained that it had done it's one and only jobbed he was shocked lol.

I thought it was funny when I watched it with my cousin and he was convinced that the Smoke Baby was going to make a return and kill heaps of people in the Blackwater episode, when I explained that it had done it's one and only jobbed he was shocked lol.

This was a massive problem IMO. I know plenty of people who thought the same way. All they really needed to do was somehow explain that the shadow was a piece of Stannis, and every time he used it his own soul would dwindle or some crap.

This was a massive problem IMO. I know plenty of people who thought the same way. All they really needed to do was somehow explain that the shadow was a piece of Stannis, and every time he used it his own soul would dwindle or some crap.

Was it explained like that in the books?

I guess they could have explained it like that in the show, I don't know why I never questioned why it never made a return in the books, I think I just naturally assumed it fulfilled it's purpose and assumed most people who watched the show would too.

So it's interesting to hear people wondering where it went and what it's going to do next.

It was explained that Stannis did not want it to be viewed as if he won that battle without honor, i.e. using a shadow monster. So he left Mel at home.

None of my family or friends have their own theories, or at least they haven't voiced them, they just ask "so whats gonna happen?"

I usually struggle for a bit, saying "You'll have to read the books!/I have no idea!/No! Read!" but then they're persistent and I give in. I know, I'm awful. They seem pretty surprised though about the RW/PW etc.

Mom was kinda pissed when I told her Dany is STILL not in Westeros, and now theres a ressurected Targ invading Westeros before she's had a chance to get there.

After the first episode and a half my best friend said "Ned's going to die because it's the tragic story of Sean Bean's carreer" and "Jon snow's not ned's son but his nephew from either his sister or brother, perhaps incest? no, he's special, royal, has to be a prince from the mad king's family"

i couldnt help cracking up and she said "I'm right." and I said that it was the biggest secret in the entire series and everyone suspects that may be the case. and yes.. ned dies but perhaps Sean bean wont be type casted like this anymore? D: she noted that he dies in every movie

edit: and although when we watched Baelor, she still cried even though she knew it she hoped she was wrong. T__T

After the first season she suspected that Dany was going to grow her dragons and ride them to westeros

and that jon snow was going to be lord commander soon. She also suspected Sansa would end up killing joff

My sister in law her boyfriend and my husband were all convinced after watching the first episode that N+C=J (Ned+Cercei=Jon).I tought it was hillarious considering what will happen later on.I their defense I must admit that Sean and Leena exchanged some pretty intense looks in that episode and continued to look like their going to jump on one another every second they were in a scene together.I guess yhey shared some strong chemistry on screen.Later when I watched the scene in which king Rob and Co. are entering the Winterfell I saw it too.Those two were watching each other like there actually was something betweeen them.It didn't help that every time Cercei entered the room Ned started looking to the floor,blushing and acting like teenager with a crush.

Ok, at times I'm ashamed to know this person...

Jon will be excused from the NW, and head south to join Robb and Catelyn (who is overjoyed to see him, as Ned is dead and Jon has Ned's blood in him... :stillsick: ) Jon runs into Bran and Rickon on the road and takes them south with him. Y'know, because they all have wolves, and wolves have tracking devices for each other or something.

Arya makes it to Riverrun, and is there for Jon's arrival.

LF fulfills his promise to Sansa, taking her (somehow not getting killed in the war that is, y'know, in full swing) by road to Riverrun, and as a result, hooks up with Cat. Sansa gets with Gendry. Arya and Jon play swordfighting, and all the direwolves are united (because Sean Bean didn't really kill Lady!)

The big happy family unite and destroy the Lannisters, apart from Tyrion, because he is friends with Jon, who vouches for him. Tyrion explains what really went down with the whole trying-to-kill-Bran thing, that practically every other Lannister was involved. But not him.

But, oh no, the Others are coming! Dany has sailed to Westeros, her Dragons then toast the others who melt away. The Wildlings now have nothing to run away from and so retreat home. Jon and Dany fall madly in love :ack: and rule together, with Tyrion as Hand (who is happily married to the genuine, kind Shae) and the dragons (sweet giant lizard pets, dontchaknow) live in KL with them. Stannis cooperates because he was practically defeated already. Robb goes happily back to Winterfell with his family, and everyone is happy.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

someone should give this poor person a few spoilers at least.... otherwise they might end up with PTSD after watching what really happens!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, at times I'm ashamed to know this person...

Jon will be excused from the NW, and head south to join Robb and Catelyn (who is overjoyed to see him, as Ned is dead and Jon has Ned's blood in him... :stillsick: ) Jon runs into Bran and Rickon on the road and takes them south with him. Y'know, because they all have wolves, and wolves have tracking devices for each other or something.

Arya makes it to Riverrun, and is there for Jon's arrival.

LF fulfills his promise to Sansa, taking her (somehow not getting killed in the war that is, y'know, in full swing) by road to Riverrun, and as a result, hooks up with Cat. Sansa gets with Gendry. Arya and Jon play swordfighting, and all the direwolves are united (because Sean Bean didn't really kill Lady!)

The big happy family unite and destroy the Lannisters, apart from Tyrion, because he is friends with Jon, who vouches for him. Tyrion explains what really went down with the whole trying-to-kill-Bran thing, that practically every other Lannister was involved. But not him.

But, oh no, the Others are coming! Dany has sailed to Westeros, her Dragons then toast the others who melt away. The Wildlings now have nothing to run away from and so retreat home. Jon and Dany fall madly in love :ack: and rule together, with Tyrion as Hand (who is happily married to the genuine, kind Shae) and the dragons (sweet giant lizard pets, dontchaknow) live in KL with them. Stannis cooperates because he was practically defeated already. Robb goes happily back to Winterfell with his family, and everyone is happy.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

This is jaw-dropping and amazing. I think in the Bizzarro world, GRRM would write a story like this.

She also thinks Sam didn't get attacked because he is a chosen leader for the Others...

That made me LOL. One of the silliest theories I've ever heard. Is that like when the Ewoks believe that C3P0 is their god in Return of the Jedi, but they want to kill everyone else?

Sam would fit right in with an army of malevolent ice demons.

It isn't exactly my favorite theory but my boyfriend thinks the whole Robb marriage thing is fine, that the Freys will just let it pass. Poor guy is totally wrong "/

I think the Benjen Stark/Aerys Targaryen being the W.W. is interesting, but again I think its off.

Yeah, my friends/nor family didn't comment on Robb breaking his vows either. They'll be surprised to see what's going to happen, unless they've read the books by the time the Red Wedding appears on screen.

I just found a very amusing interpretation of the sack of King's Landing by a non-book reader, this one from a professional writer who works for theatlantic.com:

"the Mad King Aerys Targaryen did what he liked, butchering Ned Stark's father and brother in his throne room without any cause. In retaliation, he was killed by his own sworn protector (Joffrey's father/uncle Jaime)"

My head almost exploded that someone could get so many facts of Robert's Rebellion so wrong, but then after I calmed down, I realized that if you hadn't read the books or researched the backstory--say, by watching the DVD extras of season 1--that this a perfectly valid interpretation of events based on what the show tells us.

In the TV-only scene where Jaime confronts Ned in the throne room, the Kingslayer gets defensive and says that when he killed Aerys "it felt like justice" for what Aerys did to Brandon and Rickard Stark, and so many others. While I'm sure Jaime did feel awful having to watch all those horrors while in the Kings Guard (as he later will confide to Brienne), everyone knows the reason he killed Aerys was to be an obedient son, not to exact revenge for House Stark, of all things.

Also that Aerys burned Rickard and Brandon "for no reason" is patently absurd. While the way they were tortured and killed was cowardly and unbelievably cruel, it's not as is if Aerys manufactured some pretend slight out of thin air. Lord Stark and his heir were, after all, aiding Robert and Jon Arryn in their rebellion....

But they don't explain all that in the show, so I guess you can think that Aerys was just punshing the Starks for kicks

• 4 weeks later...

I read somewhere in this post about someone who guessed crucial stuff after the first episode. I have a similar experience.

I decided to show the first episode to a friend and after the first fifteen minutes he said that Bran will be pushed by someone, Jamie is totally screwing Cersei, Dany will overthrow her brother. Then by the end he guessed few more stuff, but got it wrong by saying that Ned will be imprisoned by the Lannisters but he'll make a heroic return. That made me wonder if Martin is actually predictable.

FAN THEORIES

Osha is a spy for the Lannisters. Samwell will become a white walker! Dany is finally sailing to Westeros! Rheagar, who the fuck is Rheagar? Margery will kill Renly (before he died). The shadow baby was meant for Margery. Margery is going to be beheaded (I think that's because of Natalie Dormer) etc.

They are a lot more craziness like this...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I just finished season 2 myself, without reading the books so far, and when i saw this topic I thought it would be nice to join the forums and share my own ideas on where i think the show is going. So far, this is what seems likely to me (please forgive any typos in names ect):

-Arya and the King Robbert's blacksmit bastard become King and Queen of the Realms in the end.

-Jon convinces the wildmen to aid the south vs the White Walkers

Is it far fetched? Am i close on the mark? I dont need to have the full spoilers, but it would be nice if some1 told me how far off i am :)

Also that Aerys burned Rickard and Brandon "for no reason" is patently absurd. While the way they were tortured and killed was cowardly and unbelievably cruel, it's not as is if Aerys manufactured some pretend slight out of thin air. Lord Stark and his heir were, after all, aiding Robert and Jon Arryn in their rebellion....

But they don't explain all that in the show, so I guess you can think that Aerys was just punshing the Starks for kicks

Actually, there was no rebellion yet. IIRC , he killed Brandon and Rickard because the former went to King's Landing and challenged Rhaegar to "come out and die" after he abducted Lyanna. He then made his father come to King's Landing and had them both killed.Sure, an open threat to the royal heir is no light matter , but Jon Arryn rebelled, and Robert and Ned with him, only after this , when Aerys ordered Arryn to send him the heads of Robert and Ned who were completely innocent at that time.

Hi there,

I just finished season 2 myself, without reading the books so far, and when i saw this topic I thought it would be nice to join the forums and share my own ideas on where i think the show is going. So far, this is what seems likely to me (please forgive any typos in names ect):

-Arya and the King Robbert's blacksmit bastard become King and Queen of the Realms in the end.

-Jon convinces the wildmen to aid the south vs the White Walkers

Is it far fetched? Am i close on the mark? I dont need to have the full spoilers, but it would be nice if some1 told me how far off i am :)

If you really want spoilers :

- The book series is not over yet so, we don't know either.

- Not bad :)

On Winter is Coming website, a couple people thought the old White Walker on the dead horse in the final scene was Benjen Stark (same long hair). Someone else thought it looked like Tywin Lannister and perhaps was a demonic double of him.

i have both read the books and watched the tv show and every time i watch that scene the more im convinced that it was charles dance that acted as the white walker in the last episode

Archived