Worst Line in the Series?

Winter's Knight

I crack up every time Meilsandre refers to Stannis as "Azor Ahai, beloved of R'hllor! The Warrior of Light, the Son of Fire! The night is dark and full of terrorz!!!!!!" Especially because there is poor Stannis, grinding his teeth, obviously unhappy with all the attention, and quite obviously not the bloody Lord of Light reincarnate.

I also wanna point out to all the people quoting GRRMs sexploits in the book that the effect is about A MILLION times worse on audiobook.

Ya don't unhear an old man in a sour british accent bellowing "teats" out of the speakers of your hyundai.

ETA: I have "read" the books proper as well, don't call me a n00b!!

I also wanna point out to all the people quoting GRRMs sexploits in the book that the effect is about A MILLION times worse on audiobook.

Ya don't unhear an old man in a sour british accent bellowing "teats" out of the speakers of your hyundai.

Roy Dotrice reading out "Her cunt became the whole world." :ack:

Seven hells, but that's painful.

I crack up every time Meilsandre refers to Stannis as "Azor Ahai, beloved of R'hllor! The Warrior of Light, the Son of Fire! The night is dark and full of terrorz!!!!!!" Especially because there is poor Stannis, grinding his teeth, obviously unhappy with all the attention, and quite obviously not the bloody Lord of Light reincarnate.

I hold out hope that it's still true :dunce:

It's a little bit of both I believe. His abilities with sex scenes aren't that great, I joke at times that he should hire a ghost writer to help him out. But, the sex scenes aren't written to excite the audience, they are there for character development. So, the infamous scene between Jaime and Cersei is about Jaime's need to connect and reaffirm that he still has value with the one of only two things that has given him purpose in life, his sister. Then, we have Dany's wedding night with Hizdahr which sounded pretty miserable but afterwards, she is laying there wishing that he would hold her, which just illustrates how isolated Dany is feeling, how much she is craving an emotional connection with another person. Asha's scene with Qarl shows her struggle between all her public responsibilities and private desires.

Mm, on the other hand we have the overly descriptive 'sopping Myrish sex' and 'pink mast' and so on, and I'm not sure what symbolism phrases like that could have. I suppose that could imply Cersei's disdain and Sam's inexperience, but some of the specific phrases come across as very awkward and not entirely on purpose.

You are not alone. Stannis is my king and my god, and Azor Ahai.

*sigh*..... a man can dream, at least :(

Hah I think I'm starting to recognize all the Stannis fans on all this board, we're a troublesome lot! We should have an ice cream social or something. hah and I love all of Stannis' titles, If i ever get to that magical post count where I can give myself my own title it's just gonna be all those silly names mel gives him, azor ahai, Warrior of light, the works.....AND THIS BOARD WILL LIKE IT.

Mm, on the other hand we have the overly descriptive 'sopping Myrish sex' and 'pink mast' and so on, and I'm not sure what symbolism phrases like that could have. I suppose that could imply Cersei's disdain and Sam's inexperience, but some of the specific phrases come across as very awkward and not entirely on purpose.

I never said Martin was a great writer of sex scenes though, quite the opposite. Sam's phrase, to me, reflected both his inexperience and his insecurity. That whole scene was awkward which it was meant to be. It was from Sam's perspectice, he's awkward, uncomfortable, and doesn't have overly great self-esteem. So, we get a scene that reflects this. Maybe not well written but the takeaway fits in the context.

As for Cersei, I think that scene makes sense when we consider the context of what else we learn from her in Feast and earlier. We know that Robert raped her, that she considers her only weapon to be that which is between her legs, she is jealous and frustrated that Jaime was given a sword while she had to learn to curtsy. Part of the tragedy of Cersei's character is that she desires power but never figures out that she had other means to achieve it. She uses sex as a means to control othesr, Lance and the KBs for example, yet we see that the men still often control her, especially the KBs. Cersei never realizes that there are other means to power, her name as a Lannister, money, or figuring out what motivates people, and what their underlying needs are. Actually, Sansa is much better at this than Cersei is. But, back to that scene, Cersei is very much trying to recreate the sense of power that men have. She's reflecting on what Robert did to her and wants that some feeling of control over someone else. Again, awkwardly written stuff, but as a way to further character development, it makes sense.

"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night." It sounds like its straight out of a shitty anime...

I sort of cracked up at that, thinking 'sure, and I'm Chuck Norris'

I'd watch that anime....

I'd watch the SHIT out of that Anime.

GRRM's sex scenes aren't as tooth-grindingly bad as everyone says they are, at least compared to some of the epics on Literotica and Alt.sex.stories.

People actually do masturbate to the hideous writing on those websites, and then talk about it on the website. I have yet to see anyone pulling their pud to GRRM.

I've read A Game of Thrones twice, and both reads I found myself taken completely out of the story when Greatjohn Umber says "bunghole," of course it is said other times, but that is the time that really takes me out of the story for a minute of laughter. I guess it has to do with the size of the Greatjohn, and picturing THAT character saying it, but either way it gets me.

ADWD, when Dany was watching Xaro's slaves, um dancing(?): "The sight of their arousal was arousing." :lmao:

"Her cunt became the the world" really cracks me up every time. I would hate it if I didn't find it so damn funny all the time.

Count me in for hating, "the night is dark and full of terrors". STFU already!

1. Fat pink mast

2. Myrish swamp

There was also that line about prophecy being like a "treacherous woman", and what follows. Was it the maester Sam talked to in ADWD?

I loved Marwyn's comment about prophecy."Gorghan of Old Ghis once wrote that prophecy is like a treacherous woman. She takes your member in her mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it, and think, how sweet, how fine, how good this is... And then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams. That is the nature of prophecy, said Gorghan. Prophecy will bite your prick off everytime."

Archived