Why is there dislike for Jon Snow?

The Snowman

I've just come across it on this forum especially when people are criticising Dany and those defending her take it out on Jon so as a reader I can't understand any of the hate towards him. While reading I always enjoyed Jon's chapters all the way through...well some of the Dance chapters weren't too flash but I got something out of them.

I think he was a bit whiney at first when he got to the NW but once he was out beyond the Wall he really started to mature big time in my opinion

His actions in ASOS kinda saved Castle Black from being overrun and taken by Mance Raydar.

ADWD he was truly learning how to lead and was able to keep his eye on the bigger picture, this view unfortunately got him stabbed in the back but hey..no that's just bowen marsh being a dick.

So in my books he is coming out on top (besides the idea of marsh) and has been making the right decisions most of the time

Thats my 2 cents and Im just interested to hear from the other side.

A lot of readers don't enjoy the "predictability" of his purpose in the story - not how his story will play out, per say, but just that he is really important to what is going to happen / the potential "heir to the throne" who was raised as a bastard beneath his station, blah blah typical underdog turned hero "trope". Hence why some people are so gung ho about him actually being dead...another great Martin troll to a potential protagonist...

While I don't understand it myself everyone is entitled to their opinion. The whole point of the story in my opinion is that people are corrupted by power and Jon has lived a life to be a pragmatic ruler. Not drawn to power itself, but to rule with what's best for everyone in mind...so it would kind of make sense for him to rule - at the very least during the chaotic time period westeros is currently in as I have my doubts he will fully survive the story.

Jon Snow is also my favorite character though, haha.

He's too emotional and it gets annoying.

An example might help. Ill clarify further I'm a Jon fan so I'm biased towards his storyline and I want to know why he is disliked by some

A lot of readers don't enjoy the "predictability" of his purpose in the story - not how his story will play out, per say, but just that he is really important to what is going to happen / the potential "heir to the throne" who was raised as a bastard beneath his station, blah blah typical underdog turned hero "trope". Hence why some people are so gung ho about him actually being dead...another great Martin troll to a potential protagonist...

While I don't understand it myself everyone is entitled to their opinion. The whole point of the story in my opinion is that people are corrupted by power and Jon has lived a life to be a pragmatic ruler. Not drawn to power itself, but to rule with what's best for everyone in mind...so it would kind of make sense for him to rule - at the very least during the chaotic time period westeros is currently in as I have my doubts he will fully survive the story.

Jon Snow is also my favorite character though, haha.

Yeah I think he will rise to great heights but never be King or he'd become KITN but then kind of abdicate once Rickon or Bran showed up. That'd work for his character Id assume

I love the Jon POV. After ASOS he became my favorite chapters too read. I am a little not too pleased about him not marrying Val and becoming a stark. Ned would of wanted that :(. When he read the letter and got all badass i was soooo pumped but then ya........... :drunk:

I wonder if Jon will ever get credit for essentially giving Stannis a "how-to-guide" for strengthening the North - which resulted in support for Stannis.

You're a landed knight :thumbsup:

Stannis will probably die before Jon gets any credit. If he does get credit I can totally see KITN 2.0 happening if Rickon is too happy riding unicorns :P

He strikes me as kind of a wiener. He's whiny and has a tendency to talk down to people, which just ticks them off a lot of the time.

I do actually enjoy the goings-on at The Wall, so I really enjoy his chapters.

Just my opinion, though. I don't dislike him...he's just not a personal favorite of mine.

I don't know about others, but here are my main reasons. Jon's a total fantasy cliche - he's the secret heir, the reluctant leader/hero, the young prodigy saving the world against all odds, etc. All decent people around him start liking him pretty much instantly after meeting him and only the biggest jerks dare to dislike him. His plotline is boring and full of contrived moments. His personality is just not interesting to read about. Time and time again he's rewarded for being passive and avoiding the hard choices, unlike any main other character.

Here are the popular complaints:

1. He's boring.

2. He's emo.

3. He's cliched.

4. He's predictable.

5. He doesn't have to make hard choices (which is empirically not true, but whatever).

6. His plot line at the Wall is boring.

7. He's probably going to completely steal Dany's thunder (no one admits to this one but I have no doubt it's there).

None of these (except for #5 because it's just flat-out not true) are "bad" reasons, even if I may disagree with them. In a series like this, with hundreds of different characters, there will be people who hate characters you love and love characters you hate. It's just how it goes. The hard part (and this is true for me, too) is accepting differences of opinion and realizing that someone isn't an idiot, evil, racist, etc. for liking or disliking a certain character.

As for the complaints that he's a cliched fantasy hero, I just have to ask what people thought they were reading. :dunno:

Here are the popular complaints:

1. He's boring.

2. He's emo.

3. He's cliched.

4. He's predictable.

5. He doesn't have to make hard choices (which is empirically not true, but whatever).

6. His plot line at the Wall is boring.

7. He's probably going to completely steal Dany's thunder (no one admits to this one but I have no doubt it's there).

None of these (except for #5 because it's just flat-out not true) are "bad" reasons, even if I may disagree with them. In a series like this, with hundreds of different characters, there will be people who hate characters you love and love characters you hate. It's just how it goes. The hard part (and this is true for me, too) is accepting differences of opinion and realizing that someone isn't an idiot, evil, racist, etc. for liking or disliking a certain character.

As for the complaints that he's a cliched fantasy hero, I just have to ask what people thought they were reading. :dunno:

Do you have a reservoir of these "shut down posts" handy at all times? Copy paste style? Or are they stored in your noggin?

All the main characters get disliked by some people. Jon is actually one of the least hated. If you're looking for widely hated characters, look no further than Sansa, Dany, Catelyn...

That said, I don't really hate Jon Snow either. I just never connected with him all that much, I guess. I never really got interested in the Essos and the Night Watch storylines. I like to be near King's Landing/Eyrie/other places where there's a lot of plotting and manipulation going on. I feel like GRRM really shines when he writes that kind of stuff :)

Edit: You know, I feel like it was just last week that someone started a similar thread on this. Maybe you could go check that one out. Not sure what it was called though...

A fantasy novel the author of which deliberately tried to avoid and subvert the typical fantasy cliches for the most part (or at least keep them at a low level). Jon is one of the exceptions, unfortunately.

Archived