Foreshadowing in Jon's first name?

sertain

Yes - camp Jon Aryn here. Ned's first two sons are named after his best friends - Robb and Jon.

This. It's still a good name, though. It's a happy (and meaningful) coincidence that it's a kingly but inconspicuous name, and that both Rhaegar and Ned were close with people with the name.

My hypothesis (not a theory until we have more data) is that Ned named the baby "Jon" so he could claim the boy was named after Jon Arryn as a cover story. His real name is Jonaerys. (Rhaegar and Lyanna might have discussed names in advance, but the common speculation is that Rhaegar was expecting a girl, to be named Visenya.)

This. It's still a good name, though. It's a happy (and meaningful) coincidence that it's a kingly but inconspicuous name, and that both Rhaegar and Ned were close with people with the name.

Yes, everything just fits perfectly - the name is common, but still kingly, and it's after his best friend, just like his trueborn firstborn son Robb so no questions asked.

• 4 weeks later...

I do believe that he was named after Jon Arryn but I also believe that his name is the "Westerosi match* of John Smith. My question however is: What whould be Jon's Targaryen name if Rhaegar hadn't died and he had named him? Since if he was a girl he would be Visenya, now that he is a boy what would be his name?

Also what would be Jon's surname at the end as the King in the North?

I do believe that he was named after Jon Arryn but I also believe that his name is the "Westerosi match* of John Smith. My question however is: What whould be Jon's Targaryen name if Rhaegar hadn't died and he had named him? Since if he was a girl he would be Visenya, now that he is a boy what would be his name?

If he's KIng in the North? I assume he would be Jon Stark

If he's KIng in the North? I assume he would be Jon Stark

I don't see "Stark" as his surname. I think more something like: Diredragon or Snowdragon or Starkdragon or even Snow (because:
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

)

Quite possibly Viscerys, like his uncle.

Snow, or Waters, depending on where he was raised.

I don't think there's any foreshadowing in Jon's first name. Both Ned and Rhaegar would've had reason to name him Jon, but I do wonder if Rhaegar had a more "Targaryen" name in mind. If there's any foreshadowing about a Targaryen name for Jon, my bets are on his fascination with Daeron I.

If Rhaegar had a third child, the name would undoubtedly be, or come from, Visenya. He had two children, Rhaenys and Aegon. He was naming his kids after the original three Targaryen conquerers/siblings. Rhaegar was obsessed with prophecy. He looked at Daenerys and said the Dragon must have three heads. My crackpot theory is that Daenerys is actually Rhaegar's third child, his bastard, and was meant to be Visenya, but her mother and retainers on Dragonstone chose Daenerys instead because they'd rather her be named after a bringer of peace rather than a bringer of war (the first Daenerys ended the wars of Dornish conquest). It also adds that extra layer of bitterness that all things ASoIaF are seasoned with, because she looks up to him so much, to find out he's not just her brother, he's her father.

Anyway, on topic, I'm with the others. Robert and Arryn were Ned's closest friends and his comrades in the rebellion, it's only fitting his children born during the conflict were named after them. In AGoT, Ned refers to Arryn as a father (fostering Ned) who became a brother (marrying the Tully's at the same time). That last thing is something I miss about the older novels. Everything is told through dreams now, whereas in AGoT everything had really well-written, almost poetic descriptions written about them as the character reminiscing.

He is named for Jon O'Nutten, father of Wylla, it is known ;)

No, seriously, I am in camp Arryn.

I don't see "Stark" as his surname. I think more something like: Diredragon or Snowdragon or Starkdragon or even Snow

Starkgaryen, Snark, Snowcrow, Bloodsnow, Blacksnow, Wolfdragon, Snowmelter, Snowslayer

known as Heir-To-Thrones, The-Dragon-Who-Did-Not-Know

If Rhaegar was Jon's dad, he was dead when Jon was born. If he wanted to honor a best friend, wouldn't he have called his son Arthur?

ETA I'm bad in tracing things in So Spake Martin, but it can be found there: Jon is named by Ned.

The-Dragon-Who-Did-Not-Know

Hahaha! Jon Snow aka Aegon the Unaware :D

On a more serious note, I think heroes extraordinaire like him would be known with a unique name or nickname, just like you said. We even have another example of Targ/Firstmen, who turned out to be pretty important, and he is our favorite Bloodraven aka The Three eyed crow. Sounds much better than Brynden Rivers.

Archived