Why wasn't Edmure married?

King Euron Swagjoy

Tywin married his cousin don't forget, and look how that turned out. Sad that Tyrion is the most capable of them, but he turned out to be a dwarf. Yes I know Jaime is a great warrior but he was pussywhipped by his own twin sister.

Nothing wrong with marrying a cousin. People do it in real life around the world, and it's widely accepted in many countries.

Back to the OP, according to the wiki, Doran Martell refused a match of Arianne to Edmure Tully.

Instead, Doran publicly entertained suits from various elderly lords such as Lord Walder Frey and forbade more attractive matches to high-ranking heirs such as Ser Edmure Tully and Willas Tyrell.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Arianne_Martell#A_Feast_for_Crows

Back to the OP, according to the wiki, Doran Martell refused a match of Arianne to Edmure Tully.

http://awoiaf.wester...Feast_for_Crows

That's because he was holding out for Viserys. Probably would have been better had he not done that. Can you imagine Dorne allied with the Tullys, and by extension, the Starks when the war broke out? Would have changed everything.

That's because he was holding out for Viserys. Probably would have been better had he not done that. Can you imagine Dorne allied with the Tullys, and by extension, the Starks when the war broke out? Would have changed everything.

It would have been interesting, but it would have created an odd situation concerning Renly. Could Renly offer to join Robb if Dorne was with Robb; i.e. would the Tyrells/Tarlys tolerate it?

It would have been interesting, but it would have created an odd situation concerning Renly. Could Renly offer to join Robb if Dorne was with Robb; i.e. would the Tyrells/Tarlys tolerate it?

Probably not, but he wouldn't have needed them if Dorne took up arms against the Iron Throne. Of course, since the Arianne-Edmure wedding would have predated the Renly-Margery wedding, would the latter have even happened? The Tyrells may have gone straight to Joff and bypassed Renly.

Probably not, but he wouldn't have needed them if Dorne took up arms against the Iron Throne. Of course, since the Arianne-Edmure wedding would have predated the Renly-Margery wedding, would the latter have even happened? The Tyrells may have gone straight to Joff and bypassed Renly.

The Tyrells wouldn't have bypassed Renly because a) Sansa was still pledged to Joffrey and the Lannisters looked likely to lose and b ) Loras had already arranged Margaery/Renly from what we are shown.

The Red Wedding would have been interesting. Edmure wouldn't have been able to be married, but Robb also might not need the Iron Fleet if the Lannisters are fighting a war on two fronts.

However, would the Tyrells have allowed the Martells to march their forces through the Reach?

Another question... would Tyrion have had to try to marry Myrcella to Robert Arryn or a Greyjoy...

The Tyrells wouldn't have bypassed Renly because a) Sansa was still pledged to Joffrey and the Lannisters looked likely to lose and b ) Loras had already arranged Margaery/Renly from what we are shown.

The Red Wedding would have been interesting. Edmure wouldn't have been able to be married, but Robb also might not need the Iron Fleet if the Lannisters are fighting a war on two fronts.

However, would the Tyrells have allowed the Martells to march their forces through the Reach?

Another question... would Tyrion have had to try to marry Myrcella to Robert Arryn or a Greyjoy...

Good point.

I hadn't thought of the Iron Fleet- he probably wouldn't have needed them, a least not so soon. Which means Robb could have released Theon to go participate int he Kingsmoot, thus preventing the sack of Winterfell.

The Tyrells and the Martells would have had some battle in the south. Epicly epic. Stannis may have even jointed in to beat down the Tyrells and Renly to become King. At which point, Robb would have been all, "That's fine, just leave me to the North" and gone home.

It certainly would have made Dorne a no-go for Myrcella. I don't think she'd have any place to go after all that, Maybe The Vale, but that'd be pushing it since Lysa was keeping out of it all.

So since Doran Martell was playing the long game and dreams of what was, and not paying attention to what was actually happening, everything got screwed up.

Edmure should have tried harder to marry that girl! Same with Hoster to make it happen.

Good point.

I hadn't thought of the Iron Fleet- he probably wouldn't have needed them, a least not so soon. Which means Robb could have released Theon to go participate int he Kingsmoot, thus preventing the sack of Winterfell.

The Tyrells and the Martells would have had some battle in the south. Epicly epic. Stannis may have even jointed in to beat down the Tyrells and Renly to become King. At which point, Robb would have been all, "That's fine, just leave me to the North" and gone home.

Robb wouldn't even have needed to send Theon off and there might not even have been a Kingsmoot. But the northern lords would probably be able to defend themselves as long as WF doesn't fall.

As for Stannis, I'm pretty sure he'd fight the Tyrells and the Martells and IMO that would be even more epic. But Mel would probably still have killed Renly so Stannis would probably have beaten the Martells. :o

Head=spinning :P

It is odd. As the son, and heir, to a great house you'd think he'd be betrothed to a daughter from another noble house. I've also thought that Robb should have been promised to someone as well, even before AGOT. He was almost a man and Winterfell would want to sure-up alliances with a marriage pact...

I thought about that too, but Ned was always reclusive and I doubt he would have married Catelyn if he didn't need Riverrun during Robert's rebellion. Cersei said she had expected Ned to decline Robert's offer to be hand and Ned said as much before Catelyn received Lisa's letter and with the memories of Lord Rickard's plans for southern alliances I think Ned planned to give his children northern marriages. Still, it is strange that Ned didn't foster any of his children or made (long term) engagements for his eldest who were already reaching adulthood.

As for Edmure I simply put it down to him taking advantage of his father's illness and being as free as he wanted to until he needed a marriage.

I thought about that too, but Ned was always reclusive and I doubt he would have married Catelyn if he didn't need Riverrun during Robert's rebellion. Cersei said she had expected Ned to decline Robert's offer to be hand and Ned said as much before Catelyn received Lisa's letter and with the memories of Lord Rickard's plans for southern alliances I think Ned planned to give his children northern marriages. Still, it is strange that Ned didn't foster any of his children or made (long term) engagements for his eldest who were already reaching adulthood.

As for Edmure I simply put it down to him taking advantage of his father's illness and being as free as he wanted to until he needed a marriage.

Yep, Ned wouldn't have married Cat because she was betrothed to Brandon, and in that case Ned also wasn't heir so it was less important. This very thing has always weighed Ned down it seems.

With regards to Edmure, it might have seemed less important considering, as has been mentioned, Hoster has many heirs even if Edmure dies without marrying. Five Stark kids and one Arryn. Brynden too, technically.

Ned being reclusive had nothing to do with it. Rickard brokered the betrothal of Catelyn and Brandon & upon Brandon's death Ned chose to honor the contract as the next in line. Had Rickard not died, its likely he would have married Ned to a lady of equal standing. Not sure which Northern family he would've married Robb to unless its Manderly (possible) or Mormont (which would be a status downgrade to be honest).

Personally I think Edmure isnt married simply because he doesnt want to be. With his father sick, the duty of accepting or denying marriage request essentially falls to him. I find it hard pressed to believe there haven't been offers, just likely none to his fancy.

Huh??

Arranged marriages in the medieval world (which Westeros clones excluding magic & such) were often used to either broker alliances or to halt hostilities between two countries. I wouldnt go as far as to say that they are saved for such purposes, but those purposes are often a result.

Maybe he was still hoping to snag Arianne. I guess Asha could also have been a possibility.

Maybe he was waiting for the next generation of women to come of age: Myrcella, Margery, Shireen, and Sansa were not bethrothed at the start of the series.

Edmure marrying his niece? This isn't King's Landing...

How about Brianne Tarth though, heir to the Island, and they are close in age.

Because he is going to be Lord Paramount of the Trident and Tarth is a tiny island with hardly any lands or wealth. Also, I doubt Edmure would be interested as he seems to be described as something of a playboy, and Brienne isn't known for being especially attractive.

I think given the precarious state of the house, with Hoster sick and Edmure his only heir, it is somewhat unrealistic that Edmure was not actively seeking out a wife. This stems, really, from the author wanting to have the character free to marry a Frey. That said, it makes no sense in context.

I think given the precarious state of the house, with Hoster sick and Edmure his only heir, it is somewhat unrealistic that Edmure was not actively seeking out a wife. This stems, really, from the author wanting to have the character free to marry a Frey. That said, it makes no sense in context.

IMO it could make sense. He tried to match Edmure with Arianne Martell, but there aren't a huge number of eligible women from great houses. Also, as has been mentioned earlier, Edmure isn't exactly that responsible and might not have done what he should have. Even failing an Edmure marriage though, Hoster still has grandchildren to inherit the Riverlands, so I don't think it's necessarily such a big deal.

Archived