Has being on this forums and engaging in various debates made you more prone to liking/dislike certain characters?

Lady Arianne Martell

Why would you confuse someone's die hard defense of a character with the actual character themselves? GRRM wrote this series, not the people on the forums. It's not Sansa's fault if people will blindly defend her character's actions with sometimes questionable reasoning.

although I love your nickname, I have to respectfully disagree. people sometimes see more nuance or a different side of a character that you may have overlooked. I also dislike extrapolation, but I must say I did find a lot of sensible commentary on here and it does sometimes enhance my perception of a character or plot point. I tend to overlook a lot, unfortunately...

while I'm not attracted to depp (or daario's description) I, too, vote for lady lea's post as the best of the week. haha... and I do agree that grrm has a bit of a hard time writing coolcats.

Daario is another one for me. I hated Daario when I first read about him, after a while it turned to dislike, then I came to the forums and was reminded how much I hate him. He's just so annoying. I don't know whether it is different for the female readers, but for me, I can't say that there is anything I find particularly interesting about him, and I struggle to imagine what Dany sees in him.

Its worked both ways for me.

When I read the books I was ambivalent towards Stannis. After reading the pro-Stannis posts, in my current re-read I'm taking another look at Stannis, might like him more when finished.

When I read the books, the Starks where my favorite family, Ned my favorite character. All the posts related to Starks are the greatest generals, swordsmen, wargs, etc has caused me to like them a little less - still my favorite family, I just dont need them to be the greatest/best at everything.

Daario's an odd one for me - people defending him around here actually made me warm up to him (very slightly) whereas usually arguing about a character tends to entrench my opinions. Possibly it's because liking/disliking Daario has little ideological or moral baggage attached (compare Catelyn and Sansa, or Littlefinger, Tyrion or Jorah) so it's just a question of taste.

So I guess there's room there to see an interesting alternative reading that isn't my instinctive one. Mine was "Scumbag illustrating depth of Dany's loneliness and alienation", but (I think) Ran came up with the memorable line "even douchebags fall in love" and I find that, well, not exactly persuasive, but at least interesting.

I hate Cersei and Dany more than I did before(which was already quite a bit to start with), primarily because her fans seem so set to wash away all their flaws with some weak excuses as to why they act this way, ignoring that they do, in fact, act this way. This is made worse because the arguments always seem to be drawn along gender lines, which always annoys me.

I originally started to feel the same way for the same reasons about Sansa, however, I've actually come to respect the girl a lot more since coming here. It still annoys me that she betrayed her family(twice) for preteen love, but I'm willing to overlook that. Though I swear, if I see one more SanSan thread...

King Bob has actually dropped dramatically in my eyes, the whoring(only because it involved him cheating on his wife) and spousal abuse didn't seem so bad when I first read him somehow...

Tyrion has dropped slightly, but he's too damned awesome to go away for good. Hopefully, next two books bring about a more positive change from the vengeance fulled kinslayer I've come to slightly dislike in ADWD.

LittleFinger has actually gotten more awesome since I came here. I liked him originally because of his rise from nothing and skill at the game, then I disliked him because he started all this, then I disliked him more for his pedoing on Sansa, but now I love the guy for some reason that I can't really explain.

All the Sansa reread threads in this forum made me realise how similar that character and I are. I used to love her, now I love her a bit less, but I understand her better. It's funny how I got to like so much a character I share so many personality traits with. It's a strange feeling xD

The Dany bashing hasn't affected my liking of the character, sometimes I agree with the criticisms, sometimes I feel people are being carried away by their hatred.

And certainly, the Greyjoy bashing has made me love them even more. I don't understand why people hate Aeron so much, for example, I have always considered him awesome. I don't get engaged in discussions because I'm bad at presenting arguments, but I defend him in my mind :P

Oh, I had forgotten about Jon. I kinda liked him at first, I mean, he was OK for me, but a combination of his awful TV characterization and the R+L=J theory made me get negative feelings about him. That whiny bastard.

I hate Cersei and Dany more than I did before(which was already quite a bit to start with), primarily because her fans seem so set to wash away all their flaws with some weak excuses as to why they act this way, ignoring that they do, in fact, act this way. This is made worse because the arguments always seem to be drawn along gender lines, which always annoys me.

I originally started to feel the same way for the same reasons about Sansa, however, I've actually come to respect the girl a lot more since coming here. It still annoys me that she betrayed her family(twice) for preteen love, but I'm willing to overlook that. Though I swear, if I see one more SanSan thread...

King Bob has actually dropped dramatically in my eyes, the whoring(only because it involved him cheating on his wife) and spousal abuse didn't seem so bad when I first read him somehow...

Tyrion has dropped slightly, but he's too damned awesome to go away for good. Hopefully, next two books bring about a more positive change from the vengeance fulled kinslayer I've come to slightly dislike in ADWD.

LittleFinger has actually gotten more awesome since I came here. I liked him originally because of his rise from nothing and skill at the game, then I disliked him because he started all this, then I disliked him more for his pedoing on Sansa, but now I love the guy for some reason that I can't really explain.

You read my mind, I agree with all your points. :cheers:

Also, all this hatred for Cat made me like her even more.

And I can't stand all this love for Hot Pie, especially all these theories about him being AA :bang:

Not to start a bash thread here but Daario is a big douche, surpassed only by the biggest douchebag in Dorne, Darkstar.

The big problem is, besides that Martin apparently can't come up with "cool" characters without making them cartoonish and foppish, is that they're all talk. They talk the talk but they don't walk the walk.

Highly annoying.

Hasn't GRRM purposely written Daario as a douche? I mean, Daario is supposed to be ridiculed by readers. I guess GRRM wanted to write that sleazy male who gets the girls even though he probably lies through his teeth, looks ridiculous (clothes, general appearance) and has nothing to offer - but gets the girl anyway! ( kind of like that douche from True Lies that Jaimie Lee Curtis wants to have an affair at the beginning) Guess smart guys, who do have something to offer have always been frustrated with "Daarios" and their like...

Jon I want to die now after turning into villain, or something. I never got much personality from him, so instead of seeing a character, I mostly see his fans who need him to be best swordsman ever/azor ahai/lord of winterfell (even though his brothers/sisters are alive)/king of westeros, and just gah! The sad thing is, he's certainly going to be a lead character for a long, long time.

I used to enjoy San/San as an unrealistic, twisted gothic relationship, but seeing people defend it seriously as something that is good for Sansa, insisting that Sandor only wanted a little poetry and sympathy from her on Blackwater and waving knife around wasn't rape-y at all, and that it would be good and healthy for them to have a romance, made my more rational side kick in. As in "Omg it's not "female desire" when we're talking traumatized 13 y.o. girl with PTSD who haven't seen a decent human being in years, and a murderer over twenty obsessing over 12 y.o. is creepy, pathetic character!" Now I am kinda ashamed to admit that I am interested in their interactions.

Stannis - it amazes me that people swallow his bullshit, believe he doesn't want to be a king, and do not see his hypocricy, but as a character he's really fascinating.

Now, Jaime I love, but hating him doesn't bother me, as this character totally did some horrible things and as a human being is pretty awful.

I guess coming to the forums has made me like Sansa a bit more (I already liked her, just not that much)

I realized how I was one of the few people who isnt completely crazy about Davos & Stannis (I kinda like Stannis now but thats more because of the tv show)

I also realize how I was one of the few people who DID like Renly and thought he would've made a fine king (if we discount the Others)

So I guess there's room there to see an interesting alternative reading that isn't my instinctive one. Mine was "Scumbag illustrating depth of Dany's loneliness and alienation", but (I think) Ran came up with the memorable line "even douchebags fall in love" and I find that, well, not exactly persuasive, but at least interesting.

I think this is in fact one of my very favorite lines on the forum. Not convincing necessarily, but still awesome. Way to go Ran!

Archived