Has being on this forums and engaging in various debates made you more prone to liking/dislike certain characters?

Lady Arianne Martell

But I have to say, I am AFRAID to even discuss seriously and objectively a character because some people on these boards can get very defensive and then become so biased in their opinion that it makes any debate pointless. Some people consider theories facts in their posts, and if you point out that they might be wrong, you are the devil. "Agree to disagree" people! Don't force your opinion on others.

Me too. I try to express my opinion on a character in a civil manner only to be told that I am wrong and I shouldn't think that. And that if I think that what a character did was wrong, I am a hater. Opinion of the majority I suppose. Basically all I do is to write down what I think about a character's actions and then I cannot really bother to reply to posts that question my way of thinking. I honestly don't mind that some people hate characters that I like or like characters that I find to be obnoxious but the fact that some people refuse to realise that diffrerent people have different perspectives. Besides the purpose of the forum is to exchange opinions not to force an opinion. I just can't engage into endless debates regarding the morals or lack of morals of a character. I find it frustrating and it takes the fun away. This is why I love the crackpot theory threads. After all this is a forum for people who love the books :cool4:

I feel less guilty about not being able to like Dany after just a few days of reading the forum. I had these scattered thoughts in my head, bits and pieces of things remembered after reading the series once, resulting in a general feeling of annoyance with her. People here have elaborated my thoughts better than I could and now I know I'm not alone in how I feel.

I doubt I would get in a debate with anyone in a forum, but trying to convince my husband of how awesome Arya is as opposed to Sansa increased my dislike for Sansa :) Internet just does not have the same effect as a heated spousal debate.

I used to just hate Stannis, but since he or anything having the slightest thing to do with him wins every Elimination Game my hatred has increased in an attempt to balance out this forum's blind devotion. I used to feel sometimes like it was me against the world but since I came to the forum, I know it is me against Stannis.

@Lady Pounce if I were a Lady with a husband I would want my husband to prefer Sansa ... I mean do you really want him thinking some 9 year old killer is better than the sweetest saddest lady in need of rescuing?

Besides Arya and Sansa fans should never fight, the sisters may disagree all the time because of their differences but we all know that in their hearts they love each other very much. If Arya heard all this smack talk about her sister she might laugh but then, she would kill the worst offenders while they're sleeping.

Me too. I try to express my opinion on a character in a civil manner only to be told that I am wrong and I shouldn't think that. And that if I think that what a character did was wrong, I am a hater. Opinion of the majority I suppose. Basically all I do is to write down what I think about a character's actions and then I cannot really bother to reply to posts that question my way of thinking. I honestly don't mind that some people hate characters that I like or like characters that I find to be obnoxious but the fact that some people refuse to realise that diffrerent people have different perspectives. Besides the purpose of the forum is to exchange opinions not to force an opinion. I just can't engage into endless debates regarding the morals or lack of morals of a character. I find it frustrating and it takes the fun away. This is why I love the crackpot theory threads. After all this is a forum for people who love the books :cool4:

I definitely think there is something to that, and there are some characters who you can't even critique without being called all manner of things, sexist, homophobic, racist etc. I personally think there is someting of a dividing line. You can criticize a behavior without people getting too upset, and you can say that you don't like a character, but when you criticize a character's behavior everyone rushes to their defense. I'm not saying that this is how it should be but that seems to be what happens. Personally, I tend to defend characters I like if people say that "x is a bad person because x did y and y is morally wrong," because I think that that is part of the debate (within reason); because the whole morality of situations anda actions is subjective. If someone just says "I disagree with action y, and so I dont like x." then that's fine. Does my distinction make sense?

I tend to argue when people start moralizing about Westeros generally because they tend to use modern moderality and I don't think it's fair to judge any of the characters by those standards, but people are absolutely free to dislike characters and dislike their actions.

Not really. Being on this forum has brought many things to my attention, but as far as whom I like or don't like - that has stayed the same. The way I embraced each character while I read (haven't been on the forum then) has remained the same.

I have the same feeling towards each character as when I read the book. Some I like more, some I like less. I don't let anybody change my mind. But I have to say, I am AFRAID to even discuss seriously and objectively a character because some people on these boards can get very defensive and then become so biased in their opinion that it makes any debate pointless. Some people consider theories facts in their posts, and if you point out that they might be wrong, you are the devil. "Agree to disagree" people! Don't force your opinion on others.

My sentiment exactly. I have nothing to add. :laugh:

[mod] The purpose of this thread is not for people to complain about other boarders. I know this, because we don't allow threads like that. Altogether too many people appear to be using it in that way, however. If this continues we will close the thread. If you have specific complaints, make them to a moderator privately. No more grumbling of that type, please. [/mod]

1. I used to view Cersei as an entertaining, if not very clever, villain whom I loved to hate. After reading all the posts seriously defending her actions (her High Treason is a new, perfectly legitimate Conquest, she wanted Lady killed because she was afraid the direwolf could hurt her children, it's perfectly normal if a little girl intentionally hurts her baby brother) I just find her annoying. I hope she'll go out in blaze of glory, but rather sooner than later.

2. I like Dany much more now. I liked her before, but the feeling was milder. She doesn't deserve all the sh*t she gets on this board. She only wanted to help, but it backfired. And the justification of slavery I see here from time to time sickens me. Dany has many faults, but she's not evil, hypocritical or insane no matter how much some wish to make it true.

3. I still somewhat like Jaime, although it disturbs me when people try to justify his attempt on Bran's life which led to the boy's permanent disability. Also, he's just as guilty of the civil war in Westeros as Cersei since he was a willing participant in her High Treason. People seem to often forget this, and blame only Cersei.

4. I am far more aware of Tyrion's character flaws now.

5. I continue to appreciate Stannis' character, but I consider it rather troubling that many seem to think that Saint Stannis can do no wrong. I noticed that people like to attribute all Davos' good advice to Stannis' great mind (help to the NW), but fail to the same when he listens to Melisandre' (burning people alive). Then it's always Mel's fault and Mel's deeds, not Stannis'.

6. Ending AFfC, I liked Sansa just as much as Arya, whom I preferred before this book. Here people discussing Sansa seem to fall into one of two camps: 1. They simply and unabashedly hate her, viewing her as a stupid, weak and snobbish brat. 2. The others appear to consider Sansa flawless: She's going to an amazing Great Lady/Queen, a wonderful sister and mother, her first will be her One True Love, and she's going to win the Game of Thrones by being uncorruptable and forgiving to people who wronged her, while still being the main power to bring them down. - I could see one or two of these things becoming true, but not all of them.

These two groups compensate for each other so I like her the same as I did after reading AFfC.

7. I realized that Mance is awesome.

I tend to argue when people start moralizing about Westeros generally because they tend to use modern moderality and I don't think it's fair to judge any of the characters by those standards, but people are absolutely free to dislike characters and dislike their actions.

Apologies to the mods;

To contextualize what I was saying (and what I didn't make at all clear) was that one of the great things about the forums, and the debates is that they allow you to debate and examine characters amorally, and looking at the characters amorally can give you new found respect or appreciation for the intricacies of the characters, their personalities, their roles and their impact on the story. You can get away from "I hate Jaime because he threw Bran out a window, attacked Ned, and because he is a kingslayer," and appreciate that Jaime is not necessarily an entirely bad guy. Likewise, you can look at Ned and see that he is honorable, but also realize that he is judgemental, somewhat lacking in intellgence, and displays pretty awful judgement most of the time.

Edited for style/grammar.

Not really, I pretty much stick to my original impressions.

To me liking a character or dilisking them is something that happens during the read, it's between the reader and the book, not even all the analyzing in the world can make you change your mind.

What did happen though is that I became much more vocal and articulated about why i like/dislike certain characters.

PS: with the notable exception of Hot Pie. I never realized his delicious hotness before I came to this board but now...

Archived