The Wise Man's Fear IX [Spoilers & Speculation]

thistlepong

I'd guess there's little to no chance the third book will come out next year. My enjoyment derives in large part from wondering. That was somewhat the case after reading the first book and vastly moreso after the second.

It will probably come out 2014 my guess :P

Something I noticed:

Felurian's power "spread behind her like a pair of vast and unseen wings" (WMFc97). Reminded me of Skarpi's second tale, "The last time he touched them there was pain, and wings tore from their backs..." (NotWc28). Also, men can't see her without great peril. Again sounds familiar: "None but the most powerful can see them, and only then with great difficulty and at great peril" (NotWc28). And Felurian was in Murella, a city mentioned in Skarpi's first tale.

Not a perfect match, but it's something.

Edited to fix the last quote.

I prefer to believe those who say it'll come out in 2013 2014.

Damn. I really don't know how I'm going to wait. This may call for a reread of all the NotW and WMF threads. That ought to eat up some time, right?

More than a re-read of the books themselves for sure!

I'm reminded, somewhat, of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, which spawned countless theories and ended with about two questions answered.

Let's hope Rothfuss doesn't mess with us like that. (NOW I JINXED IT HAHAHAHAHA)

But seriously, looking at the amount of theories and questions.... is there any possible way to answer everything in a satisfactory way, without things getting terrible? It seems problematic, to say the least. I find my lack of faith disturbing as well, don't worry.

I'm reminded, somewhat, of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, which spawned countless theories and ended with about two questions answered.

Let's hope Rothfuss doesn't mess with us like that. (NOW I JINXED IT HAHAHAHAHA)

But seriously, looking at the amount of theories and questions.... is there any possible way to answer everything in a satisfactory way, without things getting terrible? It seems problematic, to say the least. I find my lack of faith disturbing as well, don't worry.

Everything will not be answered, that is for sure. Not in the next book at least. If I am not mistaken, he intends to set other stories in the same world. They might shed some light on some of the other theories maybe?

EDIT: Love the star wars reference.:)

Everything will not be answered, that is for sure. Not in the next book at least. If I am not mistaken, he intends to set other stories in the same world. They might shed some light on some of the other theories maybe?

EDIT: Love the star wars reference. :)

I believe he sold a new trilogy not sure if it's set in the universe though I think it is

I think Kvothe's story will conclude, but nothing else will. All the larger conflicts will continue, which makes sense given the present-time framing sequence.

I thought Kvothe might kill a Chadrian, but the framing sequence sort of implies otherwise in WMF.

Something I noticed:

Felurian's power "spread behind her like a pair of vast and unseen wings" (WMFc97). Reminded me of Skarpi's second tale, "The last time he touched them there was pain, and wings tore from their backs..." (NotWc28). Also, men can't see her without great peril. Again sounds familiar: "None but the most powerful can see them, and only then with great difficulty and a great peril" (NotWc28). And Felurian was in Murella, a city mentioned in Skarpi's first tale.

Not a perfect match, but it's something.

This has been rattling around trying to gain purchase since you posted it. All it's doing for me is nudging me back to the notion that Tehlu & Pals were created in Faen. Or not.

There's been no announcement about the setting, or any details really, of the trilogy he recently sold to DAW. A couple links on page one point to a second trilogy back in '07 which he's denied ever since. He's stated over and over again that he intends to write more stories in the Four Corners, potentially even using some of the characters.

What will be coming out in 2013 is a short story in a Unfettered, a collection from Grim Oak Press.

The only thing he really has to resolve is the king killing and talking to gods.

If we're starting a pool, the last book will be 700 pages, maybe 800.

This has been rattling around trying to gain purchase since you posted it. All it's doing for me is nudging me back to the notion that Tehlu & Pals were created in Faen. Or not.

There's been no announcement about the setting, or any details really, of the trilogy he recently sold to DAW. A couple links on page one point to a second trilogy back in '07 which he's denied ever since. He's stated over and over again that he intends to write more stories in the Four Corners, potentially even using some of the characters.

What will be coming out in 2013 is a short story in a Unfettered, a collection from Grim Oak Press.

The only thing he really has to resolve is the king killing and talking to gods.

If we're starting a pool, the last book will be 700 pages, maybe 800.

I'm betting at least 1000 pages

Jumbles, two more things that potentially might be added to the list.

Elderberry

the Moon, Auri, Lunacy and the Crockery. (Has someone written this up as a theory? I've been thinking about it all day...)

I just added Elderberry to the the section Understanding the Four Corners.

Unfortunately I only found one post that had much of anything to say about Elderberry. If you had any other post(s) in mind then I'll need some more guidance.

Okay, I've also added the Moon, Auri, Lunacy, Crockery stuff you wanted (this to the Observations section).

I'd also like to bring up something the Cthaeh said. "I am. I see. I know. At times I speak" (WMFc104). I do like Listener as the third rank in the Arcanum. But maybe it's Knower. Or it could be Be-er. I would really like it if Kvothe made the rank of Beer.

Okay, I've also added the Moon, Auri, Lunacy, Crockery stuff you wanted (this to the Observations section).

I'd also like to bring up something the Cthaeh said. "I am. I see. I know. At times I speak" (WMFc104). I do like Listener as the third rank in the Arcanum. But maybe it's Knower. Or it could be Be-er. I would really like it if Kvothe made the rank of Beer.

There's a fourth rank; Arcanist. The get the guilder, or gil'the, when they graduate. I'd guess knower or beer goes there.

There's a fourth rank; Arcanist. The get the guilder, or gil'the, when they graduate. I'd guess knower or beer goes there.

But is that related to the knowing of names? (I honestly don't remember.) I thought it was more of a general diploma. There are aspects of the Arcanum that have nothing to do with naming. For example, Chronicler has his guilder, and he only knows the name of iron - hardly a mastery of the art. Fela can do just as well, and she doesn't have her guilder.

May well have been covered already, i have read these threads on and off but dont remember them comprehensively!

Re-reading WMF at the moment, and came across the scene where K is exhausted and doesnt realise he is speaking Ademic, I dont have the book with me but it is something like: "I thought back over what i had just said "..... sceopas""

What he was saying was "I am not speaking...."

Now I am sure there is a character named Sceop, or mention of someone named Sceop, but I cannot remember where he was mentioned, or in what context, so I cannot remember if it is significant that his name is the Ademic word for Speak.

Anyone with a better memory help me out?

Archived