What region suffered the most in the war?

Frey Pie

The Riverlands has likely suffered the most. With the raiding by Gregor and losing two battles to Jaime i would think they have suffered more then any region. However Edmure can raise 11000 well trained men very quickly to oppose Tywin, so i would think they could raise many more if need be. Economically the regions suffered hugely. LF is now the lord paramount, with Edmure captured and held hostage on the way west

The Crownlands have also suffered hugely. The BW and a lack of food makes me think the population of KL suffered hugely. The river and harbour need to be dredged to let commerce flow freely i believe, after the sinking of so many of Stannis' ship. The power struggles have also done damage. Duskendale has been ravaged and Stokeworth is in the hands of Bronn, after he took over

The North lost around 14000 men in the South, some who may have made their way back lately or turned brigand in the Riverlands. The IB invaded, doing not so much damage. They took MC and Deepwood Motte, but were turned back easily at Torrhens Square. WF was taken and burned, but with little loss of life. The main damage done was by Ramsay Bolton. Can still raise a sizeable host it seems and WH was left untouched and seems to be thriving. Boltons are now Wardens, with the Starks having been overthrown

The Stormlands have lost many men. Originally Renlys, many switched to Stannis and then to Lannisters during the BW. Hard to say how many men theyve lost but it must surely be very high, especially considering its not noted at as being populous. SE has switched hands many times

The West was ravaged by Robb Sark. Three mines were taken, tow castles sacked, the west coast raided and much gold and animals driven back to RR. Lannisters seem to have lost more men then anyone else in battle, but should still have men left to raise. The ruling family has been ravaged.

Iron Isles seem largely untouched. Must have lost a fair number of men from many engagements

Reach-After giving away so much food to their hosts and KL it could be thought that their may be a deficit of food there now. Iron born have started raiding and have also suffered casualties in the crownlands, most noticeably at Duskendale.

Vale and Dorne are untouched

IMO the Riverlands has been through hell from Gregor's raids, Jamie's siege, the outlaws bands, the war. The place has seen the worst of the conflict. Maybe Winterfell as well, but the Riverlands has been getting dumped on from the start of the conflict.

The Riverlands because it was the main theater of the wars. All of their lords were sollicited while villages were burned, foods and people foraged by Gregor Clegane and his men, And the situation is still tense there with the Freys, the Lannisters and the BWB. The raid of Saltpans was particularly disastrous.

The North lost many men in the war and most of their captains. The North wasn't so much ravaged: Winterfell was sacked, the Stony shore raided but it isn't as dramatic as in the Riverlands.

The Westerlands, lost many men too. Plundered by Robb in his brief raid where there must have been foraging and sacks of towns.

These are the regions that suffered the most during the war

The Riverlands for sure. Too many battles big and small.

The Riverland smallfolk and entire villages suffered most with plundering, stealing, killing, raping and burning mostly from King's landing and LAnnister forces or allies.

Winterfell and the northmen also suffered a lot with plundering and the castle was sacked and burned.

IMO the Riverlands has been through hell from Gregor's raids, Jamie's siege, the outlaws bands, the war. The place has seen the worst of the conflict. Maybe Winterfell as well, but the Riverlands has been getting dumped on from the start of the conflict.

I too believe it was the Riverlands-poor Masha's inn in particular.

I agree. The riverlands being the theatre of the war means it was always going to be badly damaged. It still seems they can be a power though, 11000 men so quickly is impressive. How would you compare the damage in the North to the West say? And the others mentioned

In particular i think its hard to say how much damage has been done in the Stormlands, and to a lesser extent the North and West. The Stormlands seem to have no solid leaders left, and to me look to be dominated by the Tyrells and Lannisters, with no sure leadership among themselves

Without a doubt the Riverlands. Nearly the entire war has been held there and they have had everything burned in the process, their armies are greatly depleated and they are just beaten. For the most part the North hasn't suffered much damage at all, yes they've lsot alot of men but that is no different from any other region in this book that was involved in the war. Their lands have been relatively untouched outside of the small area the ironmen attacked.

The Riverlands which was suffered devastation from both sides. You have the raiding of Gregor, Lorch and Vargo Hoat combined with that of Roose Bolton and the Karstark men moving through the riverlands in their search for Jaime. Then you have the effects of the outlaw bands led by Rorge.

The Riverlands has always seen the most war due to lack of natural boundaries and being in the center of Westeros.

IMO

1 - Riverlands

2 - North

3 - Reach

4 - Stormlands?

The riverlands, undoubtedly, was the most affected region, with almost every village pillaged and crop destroyed.

The north comes next mainly because of the destruction of Winterfell, which caused chaos amongst the northmen and led to a political crysis. The greyjoys also destroyed a lot of fishermen's villages and took Deepwood Motte and Torrhen's Square.

The reach and the stormlands are tied, both with cities/regions conquered (Shield Islands / Griffin's Roost) and cities under siege (Oldtown / Storm's End).

The Riverlands being raided by virtually everyone during the war is my first choice. The losses amongst the smallfolk must be terrible, how they will survive the winter I dont know. The Lords has suffered aswell, which also effects the region as a whole. That the Tully's have suffered such a hard blow is also important, with new uncertain loyalties meaning that further strife is very likely (doubt the Freys can help restore peace and rebuild the Riverlands).

Oh, the Riverlands for sure. The poor smalfolk from that region has been suffering ever since Robert's Rebellion, and most likely before that. I'm thinking of Hoster Tully ordering the sack of a village as the lord of that region hadn't answered his call at arms and joined the Targaryen side.

The rest lost thousands of men, though.

The only region untouched by this war so far has been Dorne, I think.

The Riverlands which was suffered devastation from both sides. You have the raiding of Gregor, Lorch and Vargo Hoat combined with that of Roose Bolton and the Karstark men moving through the riverlands in their search for Jaime. Then you have the effects of the outlaw bands led by Rorge.

The Riverlands has always seen the most war due to lack of natural boundaries and being in the center of Westeros.

Yes, he took Sandor's helm! Forgot about that.

If we're talking about Westeros, it's the Riverlands by far. That's where the fighting started after all, and since it was in the middle of the Westerlands and the North it suffered a lot of pillaging by both sides.

I'd say the North is the second region to be most afected by the war, but it's a long way behind the Riverlands. There was infighting among the Northern lords, mainly because of Bolton's greed and his Bastard's bloodlust, and add to that the Ironborn invasion...and you've got a lot of bodies. Not to mention Stannis' march North, and the upcoming Siege of Winterfell.

Archived