[BOOK SPOILERS] Who is the Title Character?

In my view at least, this title must surely refer to LC Mormont.

This will definitely be one of the greatest and saddest moments in this season. I will look forward to it, but also dread it because it will mean the loss of one of best characters in the show.

James Cosmo is every inch a lord commander on screen and when I read the books I always heard his voice in my head during the Old Bear's lines. A shame to lose him, but Valar Morghulis I suppose...

Do you agree with me or do you have any other suggestions for the reason behind the title?

And more importantly, how do you feel about parting with the Old Bear?

it unfortunately must be Mormont, as its fits in quite well with the storyline. I think its a beautiful title for the episode, and like you I will be filled with both excitement and dread, as he was always a fave in the books.

Or D&D could fuck us and kill off sam.

I think it will refer to both the death of the Old Bear, which will be utterly, utterly devastating more so than the RW in my opinion, and also Jon deciding to abandon the NW completely. Obviously he'll change his mind later on but at that point he'll "decide" to stay with the Free Folk and with Ygritte. Perhaps it'll be the moment when he...ahem, breaks his vows.

Jon doesn't find out about Mormont until a bit later, I thought. ... If I remember that correctly, I don't see how Mormont effects his decision one way or the other. ... And I never got the serious feeling he ever decided to "stay with the Free Folk."

Jon doesn't find out about Mormont until a bit later, I thought. ... If I remember that correctly, I don't see how Mormont effects his decision one way or the other.

The point wasn't that one affects the other, just that they are thematically linked and we will see both in this episode. I agree.

And I never got the serious feeling he ever decided to "stay with the Free Folk."

Not in the books, no. I get the feeling we're going to see Jon waffling with the idea of really going over in the show, unfortunately. Not a big fan of that if it happens, but it seems likely.

Mormont, and I am super excited for this scene, in the sense that I want it to be very depressing... I hope it is done well (and I'm sure it will be).

Maybe Jon sleeps with Ygritte for the first time, too? Breaking his vows?

It's going to be Lord Commander Mormont, without a doubt. It's one of the saddest scenes in the entire series for me, so I hope they did a good job with it.

Or D&D could fuck us and kill off sam.

That's not gonna happen. Why would they kill him off? The actor is a series regular, and they'll need to make use of the character in future seasons. His arc is pretty important.

Yes, it's definetely going to be the Old Bear. I dread that moment, when I read about it in the book I broke down in tears....it was almost as bad as when Ned died, I had great affection and admiration for the Lord commander, one of the few truly honorable men in the saga. :frown5:

It's going to be Lord Commander Mormont, without a doubt. It's one of the saddest scenes in the entire series for me, so I hope they did a good job with it.

That's not gonna happen. Why would they kill him off? The actor is a series regular, and they'll need to make use of the character in future seasons. His arc is pretty important.

I was kidding... however I did see an interview with GRRM and D&D in which George said that the tv show had killed off someone that was still alive in book 5, although he may have just been referring to Dany's handmaids.

I was kidding... however I did see an interview with GRRM and D&D in which George said that the tv show had killed off someone that was still alive in book 5, although he may have just been referring to Dany's handmaids.

I think he was referring to the Dothraki that Drogo kills in season 1. Don't remember his name, but IIRC he's the Khal of the Dothraki Dany meets in her final aDwD chapter.

I think he was referring to the Dothraki that Drogo kills in season 1. Don't remember his name, but IIRC he's the Khal of the Dothraki Dany meets in her final aDwD chapter.

Jaqo, I reckon.

Yeah i think you're right although he can be easily replaced with a new Khal. Hopefully Khal Qhorin Halfhand.

Jaqo, I reckon.

I believe you lads are both thinking about Mago, who is now a rider in Jhaqo's khalasar. She threatens to kill Jhaqo, but doesn't actually....yet.

Archived