biggest sense of entitlement in ASOFAI

gash

I'm really surprised Tyrion hasn't been mentioned more, to be honest.

Not only the whole Sansa-should-like-me-because-I'm-not-a-monster. And Casterly Rock Is Mine By Blood.

But his horrible entitlement towards women.

Casterly Rock should be Tyrion's by blood..

not tomention he's completly oblivious to the following facts:

that after he killed his father he forsake every right for the rock

the principles of law and duty seem alien to him and cersei

And I get the impression he seems to think that if he ever met Tysha, she'd somehow forgive him.

:|

Casterly Rock should be Tyrion's by blood..

Oh, I very much agreed before the latter two books with him killing his father, fantasizing about raping his sister, ect.

I don't want Tyrion so escape scot-free with all the shit he's done to just end up as Lord of Casterly rock at the end.

I actually HATE Tywin, but I kinda agree with him not wanting Tyrion to turn it into his personal whore house.

I dunno.

And I get the impression he seems to think that if he ever met Tysha, she'd somehow forgive him.

:|

Oh, I very much agreed before the latter two books with him killing his father, fantasizing about raping his sister, ect.

I don't want Tyrion so escape scot-free with all the shit he's done to just end up as Lord of Casterly rock at the end.

I actually HATE Tywin, but I kinda agree with him not wanting Tyrion to turn it into his personal whore house.

I dunno.

very interesting, though I always thought he liked the idea of being forgiven better than the actual possibility of meeting Tysha and being forgiven. I think there's an Oscar Wilde(the inimitable) quote that summs it up better than I did:

“There is a luxury in self-reproach. When we blame ourselves, we feel that no one else has a right to blame us. It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution.”

so I don't think he wants to meet Tysha as much as he wants Tysha to listen to him (and his side of the story).

Also, it irritates me to no end that he whines sooooooo much about Sansa and her opinion of his looks, but he treats Lollys like the dirt of the earth because she isn't attractive.

Actually when he asses what Sansa "is thinking", the fact that he's a Lannister to him always seems second, than that he's an " ugly monster". It's such a huge blind spot :bang: that it's almost uncharacteristic of Tyrion, self assessed brilliant reader of people :ack:

Also: Dany, definitely most entitled, everyone already mentioned why... :D

very interesting, though I always thought he liked the idea of being forgiven better than the actual possibility of meeting Tysha and being forgiven. I think there's an Oscar Wilde(the inimitable) quote that summs it up better than I did:

“There is a luxury in self-reproach. When we blame ourselves, we feel that no one else has a right to blame us. It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution.”

so I don't think he wants to meet Tysha as much as he wants Tysha to listen to him (and his side of the story).

Thats very interesting. :P You're probably right, he's so self loathing at this point, it's almost a luxury to him.

Also, it irritates me to no end that he whines sooooooo much about Sansa and her opinion of his looks, but he treats Lollys like the dirt of the earth because she isn't attractive.

Oh my god I couldn't agree more. He seems to only be attracted to really, really beautiful women and fucking awful to others, ugh.

Thats very interesting. :P You're probably right, he's so self loathing at this point, it's almost a luxury to him.

Oh my god I couldn't agree more. He seems to only be attracted to really, really beautiful women and fucking awful to others, ugh.

It's interesting that the Lannisters are described as the most shallow of all the families... even their "ugliest" member, treated badly by his family and mocked for shallow reasons, is himself shallow! ugh... despicable and entitled !

It's interesting that the Lannisters are described as the most shallow of all the families... even their "ugliest" member, treated badly by his family and mocked for shallow reasons, is himself shallow! ugh... despicable and entitled !

I hate how much the show and many tyrion fans white wash him.

He truly was Tywin's son.

I hate how much the show and many tyrion fans white wash him.

He truly was Tywin's son.

ah dammit, the show... I want Charles Dance to be my grandfather hahhaha

I think by people who haven't read the books, Game of Thrones is an "edgy but honest and brutal" show, displaying the worst of humanity .... for people who have read the books, it's not honest or brutal enough :D

ah dammit, the show... I want Charles Dance to be my grandfather hahhaha

I think by people who haven't read the books, Game of Thrones is an "edgy but honest and brutal" show, displaying the worst of humanity .... for people who have read the books, it's not honest or brutal enough :D

ugh damnit dance making me almost like tywin and glen making me almost like jorah :P

hahah i agree

I think some folks are conflating a sense of entitlement -- which means that you think you are deserving of something by right rather than through earning it -- with greed. As some have pointed out, the entire legal structure of Westeros (i.e., succession) is based on entitlement. I think Joffrey is the biggest example of a character having a sense of entitlement.

Viserys and Dany (even though I enjoy the latter as a character) also have a huge sense of entitlement. They understand that they need to take action in order to get what they believe is theirs by right, but there is still a sense of "how dare they exile us" and "we will be welcomed back openly." Ditto Aegon (assuming he believes he is the real deal) and Jon Connington. Stannis is similarly driven by a sense of entitlement to the throne.

IMO, the Greyjoys, Renly, Littlefinger, and to a large extent the Lannisters do not have much of a sense of entitlement. They are just opportunists. In fact, I think the Lannister with the largest sense of entitlement is Tyrion (re Casterly Rock).

One of the interesting things this makes me think of, is how aegon has such little sense of his own entitlement, while he seems arrogant and a bit headstrong, this is more like the way theon greyjoy is when he comes to the iron isles in acok. and IIRC he never does any of dany or stannis' going on about how the throne is his by right. mybe jon con. varys and illyrio should train all future monarchs

It's not just the phrase "sense of entitlement" though, people are starting to use the word "Entitled" as an adjective to mean "someone who thinks they have a right to something they dont" Saying things like "kids to today are so entilted" to mean "kids today think that their privileges are rights" I'm not accusing you or the Op of this, but I see it all the time on the internet.

It might not mean much to most people, but to me it's a fundemental shift in language with some very orwellian undertones. It makes the idea of entilement seem like a bad thing. Someone who is "entitled" is now "greedy" or "overprivileged". Exercising your fundemental rights is now something to be avoided. You can see it happening here in the UK, where the ruling government is taking away rights and benefts due to the disabled, unemployed and extremely poor. The disadvantaged are being demonised as lazy, greedy and demanding.

Once again, I'm not having a go at anyone in this topic. It's just a general observation about a worrying trend in modern society. I'll shut up about it now.

This. I hate the idea that anyone who is disabled or doesn't earn much is automatically classed as 'lazy'.

The Lannisters were in ruin when Tywin's father died. He spent half his life rebuilding the house to its former strength. He was incredibly intelligent, and almost all the power the Lannisters currently have came directly from Tywin. He put so much effort into restoring his house, that if anybody deserves a sense of entitlement, its Tywin Lannister.

Lannister mindshare was at an extremely low point.

Lannister assets and income were as great as they ever were.

They had directly held Lannisport, they had producing gold mines and they had taxation received as a paramount house.

They have the best stacked deck on the continent, and you state they were in ruins?

The Starks are currently in ruins.

The Targaryens are currently in ruins.

The Tully's, Baratheons are currently in ruins.

Saying the Lannisters were in ruins under Tytos is akin to Kim Kardashian sisters saying their starving because they haven't eaten since lunch.

They might feel it's so, but reality disagrees.

Damn pervasive Tywin Lannister pr saturation.

Daenerys Targaryen Stormborn Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea Breaker of Chains Queen of Meereen

Princess of Dragonstone The Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, Mother, Mysha, The Silver Queen, Silver Lady, Child of Three, Daughter of Death, Slayer of Lies, Bride of Fire, The Dragon Queen

Daenerys Targaryen Stormborn Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea Breaker of Chains Queen of Meereen

Princess of Dragonstone The Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, Mother, Mysha, The Silver Queen, Silver Lady, Child of Three, Daughter of Death, Slayer of Lies, Bride of Fire, The Dragon Queen

LOL I bet without that title ASOS and ADWD would only be half the pages they are

Don't forget assistant vice principal.

Archived