biggest sense of entitlement in ASOFAI

gash

You forgot Stannis, needs a place in the top 5. Maybe Drop Renly

Thing is, while Stannis thinks that he should be king, he is right. According to succession laws he is king. He is pissed that the Stormlords have done what he has done 15 years ago, but he is still correct. Renly on the other hand, doesn't care of either his brother or (who he thinks are) his cousins. He thinks that because he is popular he would be a gereat king, and that he can just take it by force. He is so sure of this that he doesn't mind killing his brother for it (but he does order his body not being abused much...) or his cousins (not sure how much he cares for the bodies of three children).

Thing is, while Stannis thinks that he should be king, he is right. According to succession laws he is king. He is pissed that the Stormlords have done what he has done 15 years ago, but he is still correct. Renly on the other hand, doesn't care of either his brother or (who he thinks are) his cousins. He thinks that because he is popular he would be a gereat king, and that he can just take it by force. He is so sure of this that he doesn't mind killing his brother for it (but he does order his body not being abused much...) or his cousins (not sure how much he cares for the bodies of three children).

he also thinks (or at least is open to the idea) that he is a reborn god type saviour.

Walder Frey

Joff

Balon Greyjoy, we have the right to rape, we have the right to murder, I'm a King. How dare Ned and Robert fight back after I attacked them. He takes what he wants but feels nobody should resist him and let him take whatever he wants because he is Balon.

Cersie

Robert he got to feeling pretty entitled in the end.

Vis, oh god Vis would have to be tops for me.

Dany, however she is currently covered in blood, shit, and piss and is happy enough just to have burnt horse flesh. I going to say she is taking a nice long walk through the land of humility right now, maybe she learns something. Good with kids I have to give her props for that.

Vis raised Dany, and Cersie raised Joff, Dany actually turned out better than Joff. Does that make Vis the better parent and how damn sad is that?

But he does have that sense of entitlement. Doesn't matter that he should be King according to succession law. Besides, succession laws are a bit of a joke. Might makes right, as it did for Robert and Aegon.

Oh, and I just wanna vent, as this is kinda a pet peeve of mine. The word entitlement means "The fact of having a right to something". If you're entitled to something then that thing, whatever it is, actually is due to you. However, The internet seems to have redifined the word to mean "thinking you have the right to something when you don't" which is the exact oposite of what it really means.

It's not bad to feel entitled, there are basic rights that we are all entitled to; Free speech, freedom from tyrany etc. When someone acts like they're due something that isn't actually a right, that's a "false sense of Entitlement" Just wanted to get that off my chest.

he also thinks (or at least is open to the idea) that he is a reborn god type saviour.

No, Melisandre thinks that. And Selyse and her Queensmen.

Dany is heir (or believes to be heir) of a Dynasty that lost the throne, she styles herself as ruler of a place where she's never even been. I think that gives her almost the biggest sense of entitlement, but the 1st price goes to Viserys.

Honourable mentions for Cersei, Renly, Aegon. And further below them is Stannis

Oh, and I just wanna vent, as this is kinda a pet peeve of mine. The word entitlement means "The fact of having a right to something". If you're entitled to something then that thing, whatever it is, actually is due to you. However, The internet seems to have redifined the word to mean "thinking you have the right to something when you don't" which is the exact oposite of what it really means.

It's not bad to feel entitled, there are basic rights that we are all entitled to; Free speech, freedom from tyrany etc. When someone acts like they're due something that isn't actually a right, that's a "false sense of Entitlement" Just wanted to get that off my chest.

When we talk about a "sense" of entitlement, it normally implies false entitlement. Not just on the internet, but in speech in general (at least where I live...).

Of course, in this case, it could work for both. You may be entitled to a title or not, but if you believe you are, then you have a sense of entitlement.

And as for the "succession laws are a joke", really, only 2 succession-by-swords have happened in all of Westerosi History, Aegon and Robert. Since Aegon, there has been an uninterrupted line of Targaryen Kings, though Blackfyres have tried and tried again to take the throne, up until the War of the Ninepenny Kings.

that's why it's prefaced with the words "sense of"

A sense of entitlement in an age of hereditary monarchy? The sheer audacity of these people! But to play the game: surely Theon in his "Prince of Winterfell" phase. He genuinely seemed to think he deserved the castle, the title and both the loyalty and gratitude of the castle folk for not allowing them to be raped and brutalised - unless he was in a bad mood or wanted to do that himself.

Is that a sense of entitlement? If you saw a vision in the flames, heard eye witnesses telling you that they have seen this enemy that you hear you are meant to face, wildlings fleeing from an army of monsters, would you not believe it yourself?

Even after he sees the Night's Watch at the Fist, when he is utterly convinced that the battle for the Dawn is real and that there is an enemy coming, he is still hard to believe that he Is AAR.

“It means that the battle is begun,” said Melisandre. “The sand is running through the glass more quickly now, and man’s hour on earth is almost done. We must act boldly, or all hope is lost. Westeros must unite beneath her one true king, the prince that was promised, Lord of Dragonstone and chosen of R’hllor.”

R’hllor chooses queerly, then.” The king grimaced, as if he’d tasted something foul. “Why me, and not my brothers?"

But he does have that sense of entitlement. Doesn't matter that he should be King according to succession law. Besides, succession laws are a bit of a joke. Might makes right, as it did for Robert and Aegon.

Still doesn't put him above Renly, who believed might makes right and he should be king, how dare his brother think differently?! He shall die for this! And his cousins too!

When we talk about a "sense" of entitlement, it normally implies false entitlement. Not just on the internet, but in speech in general (at least where I live...).

Of course, in this case, it could work for both. You may be entitled to a title or not, but if you believe you are, then you have a sense of entitlement.

It's not just the phrase "sense of entitlement" though, people are starting to use the word "Entitled" as an adjective to mean "someone who thinks they have a right to something they dont" Saying things like "kids to today are so entilted" to mean "kids today think that their privileges are rights" I'm not accusing you or the Op of this, but I see it all the time on the internet.

It might not mean much to most people, but to me it's a fundemental shift in language with some very orwellian undertones. It makes the idea of entilement seem like a bad thing. Someone who is "entitled" is now "greedy" or "overprivileged". Exercising your fundemental rights is now something to be avoided. You can see it happening here in the UK, where the ruling government is taking away rights and benefts due to the disabled, unemployed and extremely poor. The disadvantaged are being demonised as lazy, greedy and demanding.

Once again, I'm not having a go at anyone in this topic. It's just a general observation about a worrying trend in modern society. I'll shut up about it now.

Why do people say Balon? He did not feel entitled to the North, it was there, he took it. The strong prevail over the weak, and he resented being made to look weak, so when an opportunity presented itself, he took it.

Out of all the families, the Greyjoys demonstrate the least sense of "entitlement" in the sense that they respect strength over hereditary succession. If you can take it, you are entitled to it. If you lose it, you are weak, and you deserved to lose it.

Sounds pretty meritocratic to me.

Archived