Why do people like Drogo?

AchillesReborn

That's why the thread wasn't really necessary. Obviously people that like Drogo are most often just like him cause he is a badass warrior. I don't think anyone would say they approve of his culture or actions.

Ditto!

Having said that, it would be interesting to open a thread regrading the use of rape in war as well as other circumstances as a form of weapon and a way to subjugate people, something that is still taking place and not just employed by ' barbarians' or 'uncivilized' people.

it's possible to like a character and still disagree with some of their actions. some people are locked into this narrow minded view of "X did Y, therefore i can't like him" with respect to the various characters and i feel they end up missing out on a lot of the series. on top of that, these people judge characters based on modern real world societal norms, which is kind of bizarre really.

it's possible to like a character and still disagree with some of their actions. some people are locked into this narrow minded view of "X did Y, therefore i can't like him" with respect to the various characters and i feel they end up missing out on a lot of the series. on top of that, these people judge characters based on modern real world societal norms, which is kind of bizarre really.

I agree. I love Jon and Davos, but I don't want all my favourite characters to be straight good guys who never do anything bad or make any kind of mistakes. If you only like those types of characters you probably have a very short list of people you like in this series. And I agree with you that I think some people use modern society as a judge for characters, which honestly you just can't do and still be objective.

I can`t emphasize how much I agree

Momoa is pretty cool, but I just don't remember Drogo being funny, charismatic, or doing much badass stuff.

It's been a while since I've read AGOT but the only main accomplishments of his that I remember are;

- Crowning Viserys (okay that's kind of an iconic moment for the series)

- Getting a nipple nearly cut off or something, right? what is it with you and the nipples GRRM

- Wound getting infected, then acting like an idiot about it and making it worse

- Dying

At this point it seems like Drogo's crowning achievement is "Is played by a handsome badass-lookin' dude on the show"

Drogo did not rape Dany in the book. It's called foreplay.

You contradict yourself, in one corner you say Drogo is a bad person because he just is and he can change him self thus changing his situation/Dothraki culture. But in respect to Ramsay it was his situation of neglect that made him bad... I can't recall it being said that Ramsay ever was neglected, his mother used him as leverage for money from Roose, that is what I got out of it.

Ramsay CHOSE his behavior, Drogo LEARNED his behavior. I'm pretty sure Ramsays mother didn't fillet people and being that you said his Father (Roose) was mia, he didn't necessarily learn it from Dad.

If anyone wants to discuss Stolkholm Syndrome head on over to the Reek chapters because What Dany and Drogo had was entirely different. Just a story about a girl who was sick of doggy style...

He does rape Dany actually-even if you discount the wedding night, the weeks following speak otherwise.

Drogo did not rape Dany in the book. It's called foreplay.

We already descended into this lightly up-thread.

Discussion of exactly what constitutes rape is a discussion that this board has had many times, in both the ASoIaF and the GenChat sections and we do not need another thread that descends into that debate.

Othwerise, carry on.

I've mostly seen fanboys of him, and mainly for the TV show. I think he's a bit overrated by the show fandom, with people saying "Khal Drogo should return from the dead and kick Joffrey in the nuts!" and so.

People like him because he's the super-macho warrior dude of GoT. Men like seeing something like that on TV. :cool4:

He never left an impression on me, though I did find the Dothraki interesting to look upon.

i do it funny that he's given the "he comes from a different culture, he doesn't know much" treatment to explain most of his savage acts, yet characters like Victarion or Theon or Euron come from a similar "harsh" culture and yet they're still treated as savages. :lol:

Btw, has anyone ever made a Dothraki-Ironborn cultures comparision? That'd be cool.

Archived