How Will Jon React?

AegonTargaryen

He didn't ride south when Ned was beheaded and the whole of the north went to war.

Unless someone does some serious brainwashing, what makes you think that he'll just react differently and go like "well, now that i know im a targaryen, im gonna leave this NW silliness and unite me a kingdom"

Not sure about brainwashing, but how about stabbing? I agree with AM, but I am not sure how all this will play out with his role in the NW. Who is to say the NW will not cease to exist, at least momentarily? The events on the wall in the next book will be interesting. The wildlings have crossed over and Jon is either seriously injured or temporarily out of commission. Seems to me the wall is growing hot with discord. Could it be possible that the NW will no longer exists by the time Jon is rehabilitated or revived, in which case his vows would be null and void.

If this were to be true, why would Ned not have told Catelyn about it in confidence?

Because then Catelyn would treat him like her own. People already think her behaviour towards him is strange, it's going to be even more suspicious if she shows love to him

I actually think the fact that Ned didn't tell either Cat or Jon the truth makes it more possible that R+L=J is true.

Why would Ned humiliate his wife and make Jon feel empty if it wasn't for a good reason?

He would be a total douche if it turns out the only reason why he never told them was because of some dead woman's honour.

If this were to be true, why would Ned not have told Catelyn about it in confidence?

This, I believe, has been beaten to death elsewhere. Others have argued, and I agree, that Ned could not tell Cat because he needed her reaction to be realistic. In other words, genuine hatred or disgust. Also, the fewer who know, the safer the secret.

What I want to know is Varys and Littlefinger's reactions. Jon is a possible threat to Sansa, Dany and Aegon's claims to the throne

Will they kill him or will they brush him off as a small, meaningless threat?

I always thought the third head would be Bran, GRRM does say the three heads don't have to be Targaryens

Well, Bran does ride a horse using a saddle Tyrion designed, which was based, if I recall correctly, on a dragon saddle.

And Bloodraven does say "You will never walk again, Bran; but you will fly."

Well, Bran does ride a horse using a saddle Tyrion designed, which was based, if I recall correctly, on a dragon saddle.

And Bloodraven does say "You will never walk again, Bran; but you will fly."

Great observation :)

In the end whether Jon believes Howland (which I doubt) or not, he's not going to do anything about it. Especially when there's a chick with dragons (incompetent or not, she still has DRAGONS) and a dude with an army. Both of which actually look like Targaryens, and no matter what you say otherwise looks will always matter. It was why Cat was wary of Jon and the only solid evidence Stannis has against Cersei's bastards

Jon will tell Howland to keep his mouth shut and then spend the rest of his life in denial, insisting he's Ned Stark's bastard son

Because he could NOT trust her to not sell out Jon if her children, e.g. like the situation in King's Landing, were in danger. Ned actually mentions it in his thinking.

If you need to keep something a secret, shut up about it.

And had Catelyn actually accepted Jon as just a boy who was not at fault for being born and helped raise him, I doubt Ned would have utterly panicked at the thought that 'woopsie, now her reaction isn't genuine'. Cat chose her own reaction. He would have liked it if she got over things as he's probably his sister's son and not his own.

I agree with those who've come to accept that knowledge of who his biological father was won't really deter him from the path he's now on. Knowing who his mother is will be a great source of comfort/relief, and he'll honour her memory as best he can.

I think he'd just say 'Thank you" and be done with it. He has more pressing issues to deal with, anyways.

Having been adopted myself, and then being told when a teenager who my parents were - and the circumstances of my birth/adoption - laid to rest all the questions I had about my heritage. The knowledge did not stop me from being a member of the family that had raised me for all those years. It was weird knowing I had such a fantastic familial history, but it was a history I had little connection to, and still don't to this day.

In essence, home is where your heart is, and Jon's heart is in the north, at the Wall.

He is going to be what Dany should have been. A Targaryen heir that actually knows some stuff and isnt entitled

How does Jon know how to rule a country exactly? He'd be just as bad as Dany

Plus if I saw a chick with three dragons and a dude with a large army behind him I'd keep my mouth shut about any 'claim' I have to the throne.

They'll kill Jon for treason before he can even lift a finger

I think before Jon has a chance to really process any emotional reactions to his parentage, he's going to have a whole lot of plot action to deal with. Before GRRMs through with him he'll have to die, be reborn, win battles, lead, love, betray, ride dragons, wield fiery swords... And maybe die for good.

I think the whole parentage thing becomes secondary compared to what he does with whatever power he has or gains. Central theme of the series.

Disbelief and anger. Nothing else, Jon is his own man and unless Targ blood makes you something special, being the bastard son of a dead lord did not help him. I doubt being the bastard son of a Dead prince will help either.

Disbelief and anger. Nothing else, Jon is his own man and unless Targ blood makes you something special, being the bastard son of a dead lord did not help him. I doubt being the bastard son of a Dead prince will help either.

THIS :D

People are treating Targaryens like they're gods or something!

Being the bastard of Ned Stark gave him pride and a sense of duty and honour :) if he finds out Rhaegar's his father all of that will be taken away

Starks were never taught to hate the Targaryens. Jon might think he resembles Ned most of all Stark children, and he does, but Rhaegar wasn't that different from Ned.

I'm sure it'll be a shock to him, because if it won't matter at all then why the mystery, but I also agree that he probably won't be given too much time to think about things.

Archived