How Will Jon React?

AegonTargaryen

Ok, let me explain myself better. He will always identify himself as a Stark: that's how he was raised and that's who he will always be. But I really think that we can't deny the impact the revelation will have on him. Even though he might not admit it to the world and may have a hard time admiting it to himself, there is a fire side in him that he won't be able to deny. Accepting and even embracing his Targ side, doesn't mean that all of a sudden he is going to say "Ok, I have two daddies!". It certainly doesn't mean that he will stop thinking of Ned Stark as his father or that he will all of a sudden refer to his brothers and sisters as his cousins. But the people who gave him life matter too and I really don't think that he is going to deny them either. In the eternal nature vs nurture debate, nurture matters more than nature, for sure, but nature is important too.

E.g.: (because it gets said a lot)

It doesn't matter anyway because the Targaryens no longer have a legitimate claim to the throne.

It's odd that the Targaryens no longer have a claim to the throne, when the next king was chosen because he... had Targaryen blood. They're not exactly breaking away from the Targs.

E.g.: (because it gets said a lot)

It's odd that the Targaryens no longer have a claim to the throne, when the next king was chosen because he... had Targaryen blood. They're not exactly breaking away from the Targs.

This has been said 1000time, it was only to calm down the most last loyal houses. He won the throne by conquering it and used to blood excuse to save him the effort to destroy 5-6 weak houses that was still bitching about targ blood.

This has been said 1000time, it was only to calm down the most last loyal houses. He won the throne by conquering it and used to blood excuse to save him the effort to destroy 5-6 weak houses that was still bitching about targ blood.

Finally, praise The Lord someone gets it :D

Targaryen blood means nothing anymore, just because you have it doesn't mean people are going to rally around you

Ok, let me explain myself better. He will always identify himself as a Stark: that's how he was raised and that's who he will always be. But I really think that we can't deny the impact the revelation will have on him. Even though he might not admit it to the world and may have a hard time admiting it to himself, there is a fire side in him that he won't be able to deny. Accepting and even embracing his Targ side, doesn't mean that all of a sudden he is going to say "Ok, I have two daddies!". It certainly doesn't mean that he will stop thinking of Ned Stark as his father or that he will all of a sudden refer to his brothers and sisters as his cousins. But the people who gave him life matter too and I really don't think that he is going to deny them either. In the eternal nature vs nurture debate, nurture matters more than nature, for sure, but nature is important too.

I think knowing Lyanna is his mother will put him at peace. He finally knows who his mother is, she didn't abandon him and she did love him :)

He has a mother just like Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon. And she may not be a Catelyn Stark, but no one can deny that Lyanna was one hell of a woman :D

But that's it. Jon will never embrace Rhaegar and his Targaryen family

I think knowing Lyanna is his mother will put him at peace. He finally knows who his mother is, she didn't abandon him and she did love him :)

He has a mother just like Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon. And she may not be a Catelyn Stark, but no one can deny that Lyanna was one hell of a woman :D

But that's it. Jon will never embrace Rhaegar and his Targaryen family

I think I've explained myself the best I can. We'll have to agree to disagree. :)

Howland Reed: "So now you know the truth, Jon Snow. Or should I say, Jon Targaryen!"

Jon Snow: "Actually, you should say YOUR MAJESTY"

Or at least that's how I'd react.

This is where the "hidden prince" trope that so many people bitch about will be subverted. Typically in the story, the hidden prince is delighted to learn that he's special or the chosen one or whatever. Harry getting plucked from under the stairs and sent to Hogwarts and so on. This will not be the case for Jon — he bases a great deal of himself and his identity on being Ned's son. Not just a Stark, but Ned's son. While I think he'll ultimately consider Ned as his "real" father, this sort of revelation will probably be a gut punch, if not outright devastating. He'd learn that one of his grandfathers killed the other, that his roots (Rhaegar and Lyanna) are what more or less caused the rebellion, that the man he grew up assuming raped his aunt is actually his father and his aunt is his mother, that both of his real parents are dead ... it's a lot to digest.

While I don't see Jon actively shunning being a Targaryen, nor do I expect him to choose that over being a Stark or actively embrace it.

I see what you're getting at, but somehow, I don't think he will be that devastated, being the son of Ned's beloved sister

and thus still close family, yes, it'll be a great shock, but if he knows how much Ned loved Lyanna and how much

Ned invested in his education/making him part of the family.

In some ways the revelation might even relieve him, since he sees a conflict between himself (being Ned's bastard)

and Ned's honor on a few occasions, so Ned will be his Idol more than ever.

After the inicial shock, he might be happy that he wasn't only some wench's son.

There's this new thing, I don't know if you've heard of them. They're called "dragons." ;)

Those dragons are Dany's ;) not Jon's

Dany's getting the throne through dragons and Varys

Aegon through the Martells (Elia), an army and Varys

Jon unfortunately has neither so even if he believes Howland (which I doubt) he can't do anything about it

Everyone's going to choose the chick with the dragons and the dude with the army :P

Jon will embrace his bastard status,Tyrion gave him the best advice when they first met" Don't forget you are a bastard because the world won't,so use that make it your strength and it can never be used against you" AGOT.

He won't deny or elevate either names except his own "SNOW".

Those dragons are Dany's ;) not Jon's

Dany's getting the throne through dragons and Varys

Aegon through the Martells (Elia), an army and Varys

Jon unfortunately has neither so even if he believes Howland (which I doubt) he can't do anything about it

Everyone's going to choose the chick with the dragons and the dude with the army :P

The dragon has three heads though. Jon will be mounting something that generates fire by the time all this is over and I don't think it will be Melisandre.

The dragon has three heads though. Jon will be mounting something that generates fire by the time all this is over and I don't think it will be Melisandre.

I always thought the third head would be Bran, GRRM does say the three heads don't have to be Targaryens

I've always see in like this:

Dany : the Targaryen (fire)

Bran : the Stark (ice)

Aegon : the Mummers dragon (who tricks Dany out of her throne) :D

So much more interesting and cooler

Archived