The Best Episodes So Far?

Pinkie Baelish

1. The Bear and The Maiden Fair (season 3).

2. Winter is Coming (season 1).

3. The Wolf and the Lion (season 1).

4. Kissed by Fire (season 3).

5. The Ghost of Harrenhal (season 2).

6. The Rains of Castemere (season 3).

7. The Prince of Winterfell (season 2).

8. Blackwater (season 2).

9. Dark Wings, Dark Words (season 3).

10. Baelor (season 1).

Any episode with Daario in it.

Why not?

Any episode with Jaqen H'ghar in it for me.

Here's my top 5:

1. The Rains of Castamere (After further consideration this has moved to my number 1 spot. Just too good.)

2.. Kissed by Fire (So many great things. Karstark betrayal, Jaime's confession, Tywin's wedding plans, Beric vs. the Hound, and the Arya/Beric conversation.)

3. Winter Is Coming (The episode that got me instantly hooked. It's nice to look back and see everyone still together.)

4. Blackwater (Incredibly fun. A great episode for Tyrion to shine in.)

5. Fire and Blood (Handled all the reactions to Ned's fate flawlessly. Some really great moments between the families. I love the Cat/Robb and Tywin/Tyrion conversations.)

1. The Bear and The Maiden Fair (season 3).

2. Winter is Coming (season 1).

3. The Wolf and the Lion (season 1).

4. Kissed by Fire (season 3).

5. The Ghost of Harrenhal (season 2).

6. The Rains of Castemere (season 3).

7. The Prince of Winterfell (season 2).

8. Blackwater (season 2).

9. Dark Wings, Dark Words (season 3).

10. Baelor (season 1).

The Bear and the Maiden Fair as your #1? We have totally opposite taste, mate. That episode is currently #30 on my list, and will only continue to bump down come Season 4.

Kissed by Fire is my #1 if I'm judging based on the entirety of the episode. There are plenty of scenes in other episodes that would top any scene from it but as a complete episode, Kissed by Fire is unmatched in my eyes.

I honestly don't remember the show in terms of episodes, it's too scattered for that, I mostly only remember scenes. Except of course for episodes like Blackwater and The Rains of Castamere.

I also really like "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" actually. Granted, it's not as great as "Blackwater" or "A Golden Crown" or "Kissed By Fire", but there's a lot of stuff in it that I love. Jon & Ygritte being freaking adorable, Dany threatening the Yunkaii, Joffrey showing some actual layers, Theon's horrific emasculation, Osha's heartbreaking story about her dead husband, Jaime & Brienne's touching goodbye, and, of course, the bear pit. I honestly don't understand why people hate it.

I also really like "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" actually. Granted, it's not as great as "Blackwater" or "A Golden Crown" or "Kissed By Fire", but there's a lot of stuff in it that I love. Jon & Ygritte being freaking adorable, Dany threatening the Yunkaii, Joffrey showing some actual layers, Theon's horrific emasculation, Osha's heartbreaking story about her dead husband, Jaime & Brienne's touching goodbye, and, of course, the bear pit. I honestly don't understand why people hate it.

Same here :)

I also really like "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" actually. Granted, it's not as great as "Blackwater" or "A Golden Crown" or "Kissed By Fire", but there's a lot of stuff in it that I love. Jon & Ygritte being freaking adorable, Dany threatening the Yunkaii, Joffrey showing some actual layers, Theon's horrific emasculation, Osha's heartbreaking story about her dead husband, Jaime & Brienne's touching goodbye, and, of course, the bear pit.

I just prefer character driven episodes rather than plot driven - well, as plot driven as the show could get, because the characters are outstanding no matter how I look at it - ones.

I guess episodes like The Rain of Castemere are more famous because they literally break the internet the moment they air, but the best episodes for me are the ones that delve in the psyche of the characters, rather than the heart of a battle.

the best episodes for me are the ones that delve in the psyche of the characters, rather than the heart of a battle.

I think "Blackwater" is actually the best of both. I feel like people tend to focus on the battle and underestimate the really excellent character elements of that episode. As great as the battle stuff is, what really makes it so special to me are all those intimate character scenes: Tyrion & Shae's tender moments, Sansa & the Hound in her bedroom, Cersei's lion cub story, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Off the top of my head:

1. Blackwater

2. The Rains of Castamere

3. Baelor

4. And Now His Watch is Ended

5. What is Dead May Never Die

6. You Win or you Die

7. Kissed by Fire

8. A Golden Crown

9. The Wolf and the Lion

10. Second Sons

4 from Season 1, 4 from Season 3, 2 from Season 2. But I am definitely due a rewatch of seasons 1 and 2.

In no particular order (except Blackwater):

Blackwater

Baelor

The Rains of Castamere

And Now His Watch Has Ended

Kissed By Fire

Second Sons

Winter Is Coming

The Wolf And The Lion

What Is Dead May Never Die

Fire And Blood/The Pointy End

So, 4 each from Seasons 1 and 3 and 2 from Season 2...

• 2 weeks later...

and it has lows that S1 and 3 don't experience.

I agree in general that S2 is the weakest season as a whole, but the Littlefinger/two whores scene in You Win Or You Die (which is otherwise a great episode) is, for me, easily the worst scene of the whole show.

I guess the best way to do this would simply be to rank each episode of the show. I don't much feel like assigning a grade or rating, so instead I'll just list them from the bottom to the top. Also, this ranking takes everything from the writing, the directing, and the acting into account, to the productions values, editing and score. I haven't watched the first two seasons in quite a while at this point, so I'm basically going off of memory, but at this moment I'd rank the episodes as such...

#30. Garden of Bones

#29. The Nightlands

#28. The Bear and the Maiden Fair

#27. A Man Without Honor

#26. The Kingsroad

#25. Mhysa

#24. Dark Wings, Dark Words

#23. Lord Snow

#22. Winter Is Coming

#21. Valar Dohaeris

#20. The Climb

#19. Fire and Blood

#18. Valar Morghulis

#17. The Pointy End

#16. The Ghost At Harrenhal

#15. Walk of Punishment

#14. The North Remembers

#13. Second Sons

#12. Blackwater

#11. Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things

#10. The Prince of Winterfell

#9. The Old Gods and the New

#8. A Golden Crown

#7. And Now His Watch Is Ended

#6. The Rains of Castamere

#5. The Wolf and the Lion

#4. You Win Or You Die

#3. What Is Dead May Never Die

#2. Baelor

#1. Kissed By Fire

I agree in general that S2 is the weakest season as a whole, but the Littlefinger/two whores scene in You Win Or You Die (which is otherwise a great episode) is, for me, easily the worst scene of the whole show.

That one is close, but I would give the dubious honor to Dany's one-sided shouting match outside the gates of Qarth in Garden of Bones as the worst scene of the show.

S2 was the most uneven season, as well as the weakest overall, but it also reached the greatest heights in the form of Blackwater, which I consider to be the greatest episode thus far. And it contained the most powerful scene in the show in the form of Theon's capture of Winterfell and botched execution of Rodrik. However it also had the worst episode (The Nightlands) and the aforementioned worst scene.

Archived