did martin want stannis to be so popular?

Well he has some of the best moments, and lines in the series. Was this Martins intent? Im not sure.

After all, Martin didnt seem to intend for Catelyn and Sansa to generate so much hate and vitriol, yet it still did.

First off, i wouldn't say that 50% of readers love Stannis. Secondly, Martin has confirmed that among the living characters, Stannis is the most like a hero, so perhaps Martin did expect Stannis to be popular.

I was serching months back and there was a really big poll in this forum and stannis got more than half of the votes.

I wonder that as well. I have to imagine he would know there'd be some love for the japing king that survived, but to what extent I don't know. On the flip side, I wonder if he expected Dany hate to become en vogue.

yes. I m almost sure that reaction was not what he expected about dany.

I do not like her, as many

I was serching months back and there was a really big poll in this forum and stannis got more than half of the votes.

You mean for the IT, or as a favorite character, because I remember in 2012 we had this election on who should rule the Seven Kingdoms and IIRC Stannis got first place, Jon, second and Dany, third.

He likes people to react in different ways to his characters. I remember reading an interview where he stated he felt if everyone reacted in the same way to a character they were, 'a piece of cardboard,' and you'd failed, as an author, to create a good character thereby.

I tend to assume he meant react in varying ways apart from, 'gee, I find that fellow dull and lacking in character,' as otherwise the statement seems pointless.

He's probably pleased with himself, wrt Stannis. Shame, for the most part, about that Davos chap ...

First off, i wouldn't say that 50% of readers love Stannis. Secondly, Martin has confirmed that among the living characters, Stannis is the most like a hero, so perhaps Martin did expect Stannis to be popular.

I think it is safe to assume that Martin probably never expected the whole series to be that popular. That being said, I can why people like Stannis (I personally don't), but if I had to guess I would say that Martin probably thought that Tyrion would be the most popular character since he was his personal favorites (authors sometimes think this way)..

Intriguing characters usually tend to be the most popular. We had a whole book of hearing stuff about Stannis, then seeing him and he's just so interesting. That and being a major contender in Westeros makes people want to know about him and, therefore, like him.

Also, I think show Stannis has a ton to do with it.

Thats because Stannis fans propbably voted in greater numbers than anyone else. They do love their Stan-stan

I am not surprised Stannis is popular but I don't think he is quite as popular as you say. Many people view the world in the same way as Stannis does, meaning everything is about law and order. Exact justice, the good does not wash out the bad, etc. I understand the desire for that type of world but I also see it as an illusion to a certain extent. An attempt to get control of a universe that does not seem to care about people.

He likes people to react in different ways to his characters. I remember reading an interview where he stated he felt if everyone reacted in the same way to a character they were, 'a piece of cardboard,' and you'd failed, as an author, to create a good character thereby.

I tend to assume he meant react in varying ways apart from, 'gee, I find that fellow dull and lacking in character,' as otherwise the statement seems pointless.

He's probably pleased with himself, wrt Stannis. Shame, for the most part, about that Davos chap ...

Why would Martin be ashamed about Davos in anyway?

I have felt from the beggining that Stannis was a greater threat then all the others combined.-Tywin Lannister

“This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.”

“I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.”

“Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that. “

"'Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, and rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow Sea, and Hand of the King.'

For a moment Davos was too stunned to move. I woke this morning in his dungeon. 'Your Grace, you cannot… I am not fit man to be a King's Hand.'

'There is no man fitter.' Stannis sheathed Lightbringer, gave Davos his hand, and pulled him to his feet.

'I am lowborn,' Davos reminded him. 'An up jumped smuggler. your lords will never obey me.'

'Then we will make new lords.'"

Yes, he wanted stannis to be well liked.

Archived