Which character are you most fiercely protective over?

northernshe-wolf

Jaime and Theon because they're my favorites.

I defend Catelyn and Edmure because I think the accusations they suffer are most of the times unfair. It's as if people can't put themselves in their shoes, taking into consideration what they've been through, and what they know or they don't know at a specific time. For example, I find it baffling that Edmure gets a lot of hate because he "thwarted" Robb's plan against the Lannisters. You know, if Robb decided to confide this information to his uncle, something so easy to do, something that he should have done, considering he should have anticipated Edmure holding the Lannisters back as an option, the plan would have been a success. Instead, Robb decides to start the plan without informing Edmure, God knows why, expecting him to let the Lannisters pass en route to the Westerlands. Of course Edmure could have been more brighter, but I still say that this was Robb's fault. Why not share the damn information, especially when it would be natural that Edmure, not knowing of it, could stop the Lannisters?

Also, Stannis, Sansa, sometimes even Cersei...

You know, if Robb decided to confide this information to his uncle, something so easy to do, something that he should have done, considering he should have anticipated Edmure holding the Lannisters back as an option, the plan would have been a success. Instead, Robb decides to start the plan without informing Edmure, God knows why, expecting him to let the Lannisters pass en route to the Westerlands. Of course Edmure could have been more brighter, but I still say that this was Robb's fault. Why not share the damn information, especially when it would be natural that Edmure, not knowing of it, could stop the Lannisters?

Because he's listening to Catelyn and the Blackfish, who both think Edmure is just the stupid runt of the Tully litter who can't even tie his shoes on his own. And no, it makes no sense not to let all your battle commanders in on your grand plan - and it makes even less sense not to let all your battle commanders in on your grand plan, and then get p*ssed with them because they don't stick to it. :tantrum:

Because he's listening to Catelyn and the Blackfish, who both think Edmure is just the stupid runt of the Tully litter who can't even tie his shoes on his own. And no, it makes no sense not to let all your battle commanders in on your grand plan - and it makes even less sense not to let all your battle commanders in on your grand plan, and then get p*ssed with them because they don't stick to it. :tantrum:

How was he gonna tell him? He expected that Edmure to have the stratigic foresight, to see that King's Landing needed to fall, and not let his own pride get in the way of victory.

How was he gonna tell him? He expected that Edmure to have the stratigic foresight, to see that King's Landing needed to fall, and not let his own pride get in the way of victory.

How was he gonna tell him??? Is that a serious question? He should have told him to be safe. He should have told him in order to avoid situations like that one. He should have told him because it would be everyone's first reaction to not let the Lannisters pass. Even if Edmure managed to have the strategic foresight, he didn't know if he could do something like that because Robb told him nothing. As far as he knew, Robb wasn't anticipating a Lannister attack coming, so Edmure didn't know if Robb's army was ready for that kind of plan, so obviously, Edmure did the safe thing. In Edmure's head, he could have wondered "What if I let the Lannisters pass and then they destroy Robb's army, because Robb wasn't expecting it?

It isn't that hard. You have to put yourself in Edmure's shoes and think about the situation considering what he (Edmure) knows.

I think the blaming of Edmure in the text is more of a comment of the author's lack of military experience than a fair assessment of where blame lies for what Edmure did. Commanders should know not only what they're supposed to do indivudally, but also have a good idea of their superior's overall intent. That way, you'll still have an idea what you're supposed to do if circumstances change. Robb not only failed to give Edmure clear orders, but also failed to tell Edmure what his overall plan was. Completely Robb's fault, there.

I think the blaming of Edmure in the text is more of a comment of the author's lack of military experience than a fair assessment of where blame lies for what Edmure did. Commanders should know not only what they're supposed to do indivudally, but also have a good idea of their superior's overall intent. That way, you'll still have an idea what you're supposed to do if circumstances change. Robb not only failed to give Edmure clear orders, but also failed to tell Edmure what his overall plan was. Completely Robb's fault, there.

I think it is intentional on GrrM's part. He sets up Robb using mummery to persuade Cat to acquiesce in the Jeyne marriage. Blaming Edmure was meant to soften him up for standing surrogate for Robb in the Frey marriage. There are some hints at this in Cat II SoS.

The author likes misrepresenting aspects of the war at various times. He has Tywin say he went to war over the Catnap but gives clues this is a lie. And so on.

I get so irritated when people try to claim that Sansa Stark is the "weakest" or "most stupid" Stark. Sansa is so complex and is, essentially, a survivor. She's survived being a POW in King's Landing and, I'm sure, will survive scheming Littlefinger to come into her own. I just can't wait for GRRM to prove all the haters wrong with the next two books. TEAM SANSA

Ned and Arya. Ned's gone (unless some crackpotteries are right) and his life is written in stone. I can't stand people calling him stupid when he was reasonably calculating and very principled. Arya because she's suffered so much, fought so hard, protected others, and is a killer for survival not because she's so wounded she's developed an assassin's heart.

How was he gonna tell him??? Is that a serious question? He should have told him to be safe. He should have told him in order to avoid situations like that one. He should have told him because it would be everyone's first reaction to not let the Lannisters pass. Even if Edmure managed to have the strategic foresight, he didn't know if he could do something like that because Robb told him nothing. As far as he knew, Robb wasn't anticipating a Lannister attack coming, so Edmure didn't know if Robb's army was ready for that kind of plan, so obviously, Edmure did the safe thing. In Edmure's head, he could have wondered "What if I let the Lannisters pass and then they destroy Robb's army, because Robb wasn't expecting it?

It isn't that hard. You have to put yourself in Edmure's shoes and think about the situation considering what he (Edmure) knows.

Robb did not confide the plan to Edmure, because he did not believe Edmure would keep his mouth shut. Robb told him to hold Riverrun, he did not do that. We do hear Edmure's reasoning, and that reason is pride. If i was Edmure i would do what my king asked me to do and hold Riverrun. Concerning the bolded, Edmure knows that Robb's army is all cavalry, and he knows that he also has the Blackfish with him, who is a very good commander. He should have enough faith that Robb who has proven that he is a good general, and the Blackfish who is incredibly experienced, have enough knowledge between them to avoid getting hit by surprise, when they have a 5000 all cavalry army, against a 20000 mixed army.

Robb did not confide the plan to Edmure, because he did not believe Edmure would keep his mouth shut. Robb told him to hold Riverrun, he did not do that. We do hear Edmure's reasoning, and that reason is pride. If i was Edmure i would do what my king asked me to do and hold Riverrun. Concerning the bolded, Edmure knows that Robb's army is all cavalry, and he knows that he also has the Blackfish with him, who is a very good commander. He should have enough faith that Robb who has proven that he is a good general, and the Blackfish who is incredibly experienced, have enough knowledge between them to avoid getting hit by surprise, when they have a 5000 all cavalry army, against a 20000 mixed army.

Edmure did hold Riverrun. His defence of the fords could arguably considered a defence of Riverrun as well, given that the battles were in sight of the castle itself. Tywin was crossing dangerously close to what Edmure was supposed to hold, so he would be foolish to allow the Lannisters to overrun defensive positions that could be used to prevent a siege.

Pride may have played a part in what he did, but all of his lords agreed with the plan because it was tactically sound and Robb had given them no reason to not to enact it.

For example, he could have said, "hold Riverrun but do not engage the Lannisters even if they get within spitting distance." As simple as that.

Robb did not confide the plan to Edmure, because he did not believe Edmure would keep his mouth shut. Robb told him to hold Riverrun, he did not do that. We do hear Edmure's reasoning, and that reason is pride. If i was Edmure i would do what my king asked me to do and hold Riverrun.

I'm not convinced the plan was actually in place before the Battle of the Fords and wasn't some reconstruction after the event by Robb and the Blackfish. But if it was in place, then Robb didn't have to let Edmure in on every single little detail of it if he was concerned that Edmure would blather in his cups - but he did need to make it clear what it was he wanted his commanders to do. He did not. He told Edmure to "hold Riverrun", and guess what? Edmure followed those orders. After the Fords, neither Robb nor the Blackfish argue that Edmure didn't hold Riverrun; their problem is that he did more than that and thus thwarted a supposed plan nobody had bothered to tell him about.

Archived