Why do people like Stannis?

JesusFTW

He raised Davos up! If i knew nothing else about him it would be enough.

"'Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, and rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow Sea, and Hand of the King.'

For a moment Davos was too stunned to move. I woke this morning in his dungeon. 'Your Grace, you cannot… I am not fit man to be a King's Hand.'

'There is no man fitter.' Stannis sheathed Lightbringer, gave Davos his hand, and pulled him to his feet.

'I am lowborn,' Davos reminded him. 'An up jumped smuggler. your lords will never obey me.'

'Then we will make new lords.'"

Yeah, I really have to say, anyone telling themselves that stannis has no redeeming qualities or that he is unfit to rule, either has a serious bias against bald people, or just gets annoyed that he has so many fans. Needless to say, those are pretty shitty reasons for not liking a character. But I guess being contrarion for the fuck of it has a certain charm to some.

lmao, cult behavior! its a book forum, don't take yourself so seriously.

If you're annoyed by Stannis fans now, what are you going to do once he takes Winterfell and destroys the Boltons and the Freys?

oh i guarantee you they will find something else to complain about. I can see it now "Stannis drowned the freys in that lake, what an inhumane way to kill people, hes a monster! A MONSTER I TELL YOU!"

If you're annoyed by Stannis fans now, what are you going to do once he takes Winterfell and destroys the Boltons and the Freys?

It won't matter what happens, the cult will overhype it no matter what, he could trip and fall through some ice on the way to the battle and die. They will still give him credit for singlehandedly saving the world

Many people see many of the same traits they found admirable in Ned Stark in Stannis as well. Combine that with him making pragmatic choices that Ned wouldn't to make him seem smarter and he gets a lot of supporters (so long as they ignore that his pragmatism makes many of those admirable traits moot).

I wonder if Stannis does lose to Ramsay and dies in battle. What would be your (I mean, your, his fans) reactions to his death?

Is this a joke?

I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?

It won't matter what happens, the cult will overhype it no matter what, he could trip and fall through some ice on the way to the battle and die. They will still give him credit for singlehandedly saving the world

He did pretty much save all of Westeros by saving the wall...Now he just has to save Essos and he can save the world!

But really the man is feared and hated by everyone, and he doesn't give a damn, what's not to like?

Many people see many of the same traits they found admirable in Ned Stark in Stannis as well. Combine that with him making pragmatic choices that Ned wouldn't to make him seem smarter and he gets a lot of supporters (so long as they ignore that his pragmatism makes many of those admirable traits moot).

This^

But, I think people overestimate the Ned-Stannis crossover. I would say Ned Stark is probably one of my top three favorite characters in the series, but find Stannis to be blah. Ned is all Ice in his demeanor and Stannis is all Fire. Stannis is wrathful and angry. He threatens to kill the people he likes and is kind of a grump. I think Stannis also appeals to the 300 fans in all of us by being the closest there is to stereotypical, badass, IDGAF action-hero.

However, I like Ned more because he understands that there is room for mercy and compassion.

EDIT: I would say, however, that my net opinion of Stannis is positive.

I made the mistake of watching the first and second seasons of GoT before reading the books. Unfortunately, it was quite impressionable (negatively) on my view of Stannis. When reading the books, I felt an automatic dislike for Stannis. I knew that it was unfair to his character, but it took a long time to shed my prejudice.

These boards have helped a lot in swaying my opinion of Stannis, and I'm pretty grateful. As of ADwD, I view him quite differently. He's not my favorite character, but I like him. I, too, find his personality frigid and compartmentalized. But when someone draws a comparison between Ned Stark and Stannis Baratheon, I can see where they're coming from. You've got to have respect for a man who follows his own code.

As for what many consider his mistakes (killing Renly, overly trusting in Melisandre, condoning burnings etc.), they're things I embrace. They work well to create a portrait of a man conflicted. For me, Stannis is almost like a biblical tragedy.

Creepy Stannis adoration has cooled a bit on the forum. For a while there every question asked was answered with Stannis.

Who is the best swordsman? Stannis!

Who is the best archer? Stannis!

Who is the best father? Stannis!

Who has the best fashion sense in Westeros? Stannis!

Who makes the best lemon cakes in Westeros? Stannis! Stannis! Stannis!

I think I love Stannis because he's the seeker of justice while the rest of Westeros sees him as the Stranger to serve them all death. It's really quite poetic.

Why do people get annoyed that a character has fans? Or is it that they group up under a fan name and discuss it like we all do for this series :dunno:

This^

But, I think people overestimate the Ned-Stannis crossover. I would say Ned Stark is probably one of my top three favorite characters in the series, but find Stannis to be blah. Ned is all Ice in his demeanor and Stannis is all Fire. Stannis is wrathful and angry. He threatens to kill the people he likes and is kind of a grump. I think Stannis also appeals to the 300 fans in all of us by being the closest there is to stereotypical, badass, IDGAF action-hero.

However, I like Ned more because he understands that there is room for mercy and compassion.

EDIT: I would say, however, that my net opinion of Stannis is positive.

Stannis is stone. Melisandre is trying to wake the fire in him but it's not working.

I don't really understand the love, he burns people for no reason, has a personality as dull as dishwater and is probably the worst lay in the 7 Kingdoms.

Oh please, you spent the last two days defending Aerys for burning Rickard Stark.

Creepy Stannis adoration has cooled a bit on the forum. For a while there every question asked was answered with Stannis.

Who is the best swordsman? Stannis!

Who is the best archer? Stannis!

Who is the best father? Stannis!

I don't think anyone's ever tried to argue for these.

Who has the best fashion sense in Westeros? Stannis!

Who makes the best lemon cakes in Westeros? Stannis! Stannis! Stannis!

Well, duh. :rolleyes:

5) -The reason that the vast majority of members of The Kingsmen, or Stannis Champions or whatever they call themselves these days support Stannis is that they like being a member of a group and it prevents them from being objective. It's commonly referred to as 'groupthink' but technically it's known as

, a recognized form of cognitive bias. It's the same reason that people become and stay religious fanatics - they like the feeling of belonging.

Biggest load of bullshit i've ever seen. I guess that goes for the Starks, Dany, and any popular character then?

Oh wait, could it be...that people just enjoy reading about him, and that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about? I'm going to go ahead and guess it's that option.

Stannis was my favorite long before i even knew ASOIAF had forums. lol

Archived