Why do people like Stannis?

JesusFTW

I don't understand why anyone could like Stannis, he is a loser, a mediocre and pathetic character.

Right, this is coming from the guy who said Aerys was nothing but "an eccentric ruler". So forgive me if i don't think of you as a great judge of character.

More reasons people like stannis.

I have felt from the beggining that Stannis was a greater threat then all the others combined.-Tywin Lannister

“This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.”

“I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.”

“Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that. “

What does Stannis offer you? Vengeance. Vengeance for my sons and yours, for your husbands and your fathers and your brothers. Vengeance for your murdered lord, your murdered king, your butchered princes. Vengeance!

And a name passed from the lips of each man to the next, written in small white puffs of breath. Stannis, they whispered, Stannis is here, Stannis is come, Stannis, Stannis, Stannis.

Stannis is a practical man, acknowledges when someone knows more about a subject than he does. He's the only one who actually went north to assist the Nightswatch in a manner of speaking and by doing that pretty much gave up on the War of the Five Kings, and he knows it. He's just and selfless and best of all, a BAMF.

I don't understand why anyone could like Stannis, he is a loser, a mediocre and pathetic character.

Don't take the bait gang this guy has one trick and it's bashing stannis ad nauseum, he really brings alot to the board! But hey the world needs ditch diggers too.

3 biggest reasons I've discovered from asking his cult members

1) E - Ro

?

I admire his commitment to duty. Even though unpopular, I'm sure if he was the one king that the smallfolk, after a bit of time, would come to realise he's a good king.

ETA: Don't worry I've got it. Lol.

Seriously though, are threads like this necessary? There are already SO MANY threads about stannis, some threads even share extremely simmilar(if not the same) name as this one. Just search for them.

Don't take the bait gang this guys has one trick and it's bashing stannis ad nauseum, he really brings alot to the board! But hey the world needs ditch diggers too.

:agree: Thanks for the laugh brah.

ETA: Oh no, ive been slimed! yuck! :ack:

Seriously though, are threads like this necessary? There are already SO MANY threads about stannis, some threads even share extremely simmilar(if not the same) name as this one. Just search for them.

Umm, people are lazy and don't want to use the search function? :dunno:

I may not agree with all of his decisions, but he has a definite moral code and he lives by it. He recognizes the worth in Davos, who is one of my absolute favorite characters. He's very funny. At first I didn't think that he meant to be funny, but now I believe that his humor is intentional, which is cool to me because he never really laughs himself. Although he comes across as quite inflexible, he's actually not as rigid as he may seem at first. Look at how compromising he can be wrt the Jon and the wildlings.

During my first time reading the series I liked him because it's refreshing to have characters like Stannis who have power, aren't self-serving, and are, for the most part, trying to do the "right" thing. However, once I reread the series I got his dry humor, and that made me like him even more. He's not my favorite, but he's at least in my top ten. I'll be sad when/if he dies.

Stannis is a stand-in for Ned in some ways. He was who Ned died trying sit on the throne, and that in and of itself is endearing. He'd probably get a bigger negative for killing his brother if his brother didn't resemble an annoying douche. As is, he seemed to be ridding the story of a needless wannabe king more than anything. Davos has also kept him in check when he has threatened to do something unwise, and he has certainly grown as a character. He is now the main political force who stands in the way of the Boltons, Freys, Lannisters, and Others (as well as Targs for all those who hate the Targs). For Stark fans who can't get excited about Rickon coming back to Winterfell, Stannis is a ready-made Stark substitute fighting the Stark enemies, blessed by Jon Stark himself. He is funny to boot. What is not to love?

'DaarioKnowsBest' wrote:

3 biggest reasons I've discovered from asking his cult members

1) E - Ro

2) he serves as a replacement for those who never got over Ned's death

3) GRRM said he was the closest thing to a hero in the series.

====================================================================================

If that's what Stans said, so be it. Though most Ned-fans I know don't seen him as a replacement, at least he was Ned's own choice.

I respect Stannis, admire him, partially root for him, but I cannot like him. Someone compared him to Clint Eastwood. Very apt. I see Stannis as blunt, decisive, courageous, just, capable, pragmatic, firm, etc--everything I'd like in a current politician but cannot find, alas. Stannis is very modern and easy to relate to for that reason. Plus the relationship with Davos shows the best side of him and humanises him. I question his Melisandre fixation, but so be it. In terms of characters currently in the running for King, he is the least of several evils. Westeros would do well to 'elect' him.

Now explain to me what Stannis has done that is so great because I don't see it.

Hmm, showing up at the Wall and crushing Mance Rayder, liberating Deepwood Motte, marching south to bring justice to the Freys and Boltons. So you're telling me you missed all of that?

Now explain to me what Stannis has done that is so great because I don't see it.

You can click literally any one of the links I posted and read all about it, or you could just reread the books. Yeah you know what, go do that, me thinks it will be good for you.

I respect Stannis, admire him, partially root for him, but I cannot like him. Someone compared him to Clint Eastwood. Very apt. I see Stannis as blunt, decisive, courageous, just, capable, pragmatic, firm, etc--everything I'd like in a current politician but cannot find, alas. Stannis is very modern and easy to relate to for that reason. Plus the relationship with Davos shows the best side of him and humanises him. I question his Melisandre fixation, but so be it. In terms of characters currently in the running for King, he is the least of several evils. Westeros would do well to 'elect' him.

:agree:

Archived