Why do people like Stannis?

JesusFTW

It won't matter what happens, the cult will overhype it no matter what, he could trip and fall through some ice on the way to the battle and die. They will still give him credit for singlehandedly saving the world

Funny, i see you hate on Stannis in every thread about him.

Pretty sad, that you get this annoyed by a fictional character or the people that like him.

Biggest load of bullshit i've ever seen. I guess that goes for the Starks, Dany, and any popular character then?

Oh wait, could it be...that people just enjoy reading about him, and that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about? I'm going to go ahead and guess it's that option.

Stannis was my favorite long before i even knew ASOIAF had forums. lol

Funny, i see you hate on Stannis in every thread about him.

Pretty sad, that you get this annoyed by a fictional character or the people that like him.

:agree: Well said, all around.

Biggest load of bullshit i've ever seen. I guess that goes for the Starks, Dany, and any popular character then?

Oh wait, could it be...that people just enjoy reading about him, and that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about? I'm going to go ahead and guess it's that option.

Stannis was my favorite long before i even knew ASOIAF had forums. lol

Well you may be able to think for yourself but clearly there are also those who can't

eta - how do you explain this if its bullshit? http://i.imgur.com/CmTmw9M.jpg

eta2 - oh wait sorry its already been explained by way of a thorough reread silly me

This^

But, I think people overestimate the Ned-Stannis crossover. I would say Ned Stark is probably one of my top three favorite characters in the series, but find Stannis to be blah. Ned is all Ice in his demeanor and Stannis is all Fire. Stannis is wrathful and angry. He threatens to kill the people he likes and is kind of a grump. I think Stannis also appeals to the 300 fans in all of us by being the closest there is to stereotypical, badass, IDGAF action-hero.

However, I like Ned more because he understands that there is room for mercy and compassion.

EDIT: I would say, however, that my net opinion of Stannis is positive.

I'm a huge fan of Ned, but I very much dislike (as a person, not as a character) Stannis because to me he is Ned Stark taken apart and put back together in a way that makes all his good traits (sense of justice, honor, and duty) no longer seem admirable. I think that most Ned Stark fans didn't switch to Stannis, but many Stannis fans are former Ned fans.

It's strange, but out of nowhere I just found myself really, really rooting for him, like put the book down and thought "holy fuck, if Stannis dies after all he's tryed to achieve I'll be legit gutted." I've analysed it a bit but all the reasons have been mentioned more articulately by other posters, but I'll add the bromance with Davos (Stannis is legit pissed off with Wyman Manderly) He's the funniest character in the books, and he seems like the only person in Westeros who can give Roose Bolton the shivers.

*sigh* Alright then, just this once.

I don't really understand the love, he burns people for no reason,

Incorrect. All the people burned by Stannis were criminals and were sentenced to death. Why burn them? Melisandre has demonstrated her power and has convinced Stannis that it stems from R'hllor so they should make sacrifices to him. Personally, I wouldn't do it and I consider this to be one of Stannis' flaws but I understand why he does it.

has a personality as dull as dishwater

Stannis is most definitely one of the most complex characters in the series. I wouldn't consider him dull by any means.

and is probably the worst lay in the 7 Kingdoms.

He has sex and magic happens. Coincidence? I think not. :P

Well you may be able to think for yourself but clearly there are also those who can't

eta2 - oh wait sorry its already been explained by way of a thorough reread silly me

I have no clue what that's supposed to be, or why i should care.

Some people like his dry humor, some people like his military side, others like his friendship with Jon/Davos, others like the fact he went to the wall when every other king didn't care.

Just because you don't like him, doesn't mean there isn't good reasons that other people do like him.

People aren't allowed to change their minds on things? So, let me get this straight, in your most humble of opinions good debate is everyone getting entrenched in their original idea/opinions and not changing at all? I liked stannis before i joined the forums, but its irrelevant anyway because when I joined there wasn't really any stannis love, or if there was no one was discussing it.

True, but Aerys had a good reason, Stannis just does it because Mel tells him to, whatever your view of Aerys at least he wasn't pussywhipped.

wtf? Stannis burns criminals, he has burned about 5 men alive. Each of them guilty of various crimes that any other lord would have punished with execution as well. Aerys burned innocents because it turned him on.

Most of those were criminals found guilty, why hang them when you can just burn them for strategic value, to hang them would be a waste of rope, or would you rather they died on a privy?

not most of them, ALL 5 men he burned were criminals, confessed criminals, so there is no doubt of their guilt.

True, but Aerys had a good reason, Stannis just does it because Mel tells him to, whatever your view of Aerys at least he wasn't pussywhipped.

Most of those were criminals found guilty, why hang them when you can just burn them for strategic value, to hang them would be a waste of rope, or would you rather they died on a privy?

I have to agree and say that I dont understand why he is so liked. He has his moments for sure and he does seem like a good guy, but he his very harsh and strict. He allows people to be burned alive and even sought to kill his own nephew. He killed his brother and what annoys me the most is that he comes to Wall thinking that the Nights Watch will just rally to his cause when they are not allowed to participate in the wars of the south.

I also get he has done some great things too though. He saved the Wall, he doesnt back done easily, he has a firm sense of justice, and he made Davos his hand. I'm sure he would be a good king, but I dont understand some people making him out to be the best guy in the series.

Also people saying that he all burns criminals is true, except he tried to burn Edric and I don't think criminals should be burned alive. Just a beheading is fine.

I'm a huge fan of Ned, but I very much dislike (as a person, not as a character) Stannis because to me he is Ned Stark taken apart and put back together in a way that makes all his good traits (sense of justice, honor, and duty) no longer seem admirable. I think that most Ned Stark fans didn't switch to Stannis, but many Stannis fans are former Ned fans.

For sure, I wasn't disagreeing with that. Just that he is somehow a replacement. I love Ned. He's the dad I never had (my real father's exactly like Stannis incidentally... haha).

I am not a StanStan and I really don't think he is deserving of any admiration. He is kind of the Ron Paul of Westeros IMO, honest and courageous but so so so so so wrong in his worldview that it's not even funny (it's actually harmful to the human race). HOWEVER, I am so impressed by all of y'all's dedication to this guy! That's a lot of love!

Archived