Why do people like Stannis?

JesusFTW

1) -He has a strict moral code that he applies to everyone but himself.

2) -Since he's the lawful king, anyone who opposes him or disagrees is a traitor and deserves to die.

3) -He's entitled to everything under the sun, so don't deny him anything. If he wants to take castles on the Wall, which he has no right to at all, don't get in his way.

4) -He doesn't really want to be king, but he'll do anything to be king, including committing grave crimes. So, not too many points for consistency either on motivation or 'lawfulness.'

5) -The reason that the vast majority of members of The Kingsmen, or Stannis Champions or whatever they call themselves these days support Stannis is that they like being a member of a group and it prevents them from being objective. It's commonly referred to as 'groupthink' but technically it's known as

, a recognized form of cognitive bias. It's the same reason that people become and stay religious fanatics - they like the feeling of belonging.

2) -Since he's the lawful king, anyone who opposes him or disagrees is a traitor and deserves to die.

3) -He's entitled to everything under the sun, so don't deny him anything. If he wants to take castles on the Wall, which he has no right to at all, don't get in his way.

4) -He doesn't really want to be king, but he'll do anything to be king, including committing grave crimes. So, not too many points for consistency either on motivation or 'lawfulness.'

5) -The reason that the vast majority of members of The Kingsmen, or Stannis Champions or whatever they call themselves these days support Stannis is that they like being a member of a group and it prevents them from being objective. It's commonly referred to as 'groupthink' but technically it's known as

, a recognized form of cognitive bias. It's the same reason that people become and stay religious fanatics - they like the feeling of belonging.

Nailed it

You have very weird reasons for liking a character.

While I'm not a ''stan-stan'', I like his determination and his willingness to go help the Watch. He also gets some cool lines and interacts with characters I like (Davos, Asha, Jon as LC). He's also a nice character to explore, I get the feel that while he kids himself as to his importance, he genuinly feels that taking the throne is his duty (I do think he also has personnal ambitions that he doesn't admit). He also seems like a decent ruler, showing some amount of pragmatism and mercy to his enemies, in contrast to most other rulers in the series being incompetent or cruel, or both.

That being said, I think he has several flaws (most notably being influenced by Melissandre and his sometimes reckless approach to strategy) so I'm not a big fan. But I like him enough to rout for him in the North, and as King if there must be a King; personally I'd prefer to be rid of that silly iron chair.

Archived