Would the RW be less tragic if Catelyn had survived it?

Alayne's Shadow.

Not for me.

The most painful part was that the rebellion was crushed on a dinner table, all his allies and armies was wiped out, most nobles taken prisoners and the sheer amount of northern deaths. That too when things might have improved for Robb. Damn you stannis, damn your leech. And damn you roose. and dam you Walder "rat cook" frey

Just Cat surviving it wouldnt have made a difference.

yh it would be much sadder that way, i mean, as if her chapters werent depressing enough by this point in the book (due to her sadness over her children, i'm not just hating on Cat) imagine if she saw who she thought was her only child (and first son) killed and then she had to live, her chapters would either be extremely depressing, or she'd have been mad, like she was just before she was killed. In a way, her death did turn out to be the best possible outcome for her character at the RW, seeing as that enabled her to team up with the brotherhood

I think that Catlyn is the most amazing character in ASOIAF. I mean, how many mothers of 5 children have that much screen time in fantasy genre? That being said, I found her chapters (with the exception of maybe one or two first ones) extremely depressing. I am ashamed to admit that, but I felt a little bit relieved when she died, that was the only silver lining of the RW for me. Her dying thinking that most of her children are dead was a problem foe me, though. That is probably why she was raised from dead.

I think more tragic somehow her resurrection returned her sanity to her.But think about a ruined mad Cat as a hostage.She would have been returned to Lysa as a reward of her "loyalty" to the crown but it would be too painful to read.Think about it.I think it was a mercy what GRRM did.Both to Cat and the readers.

I think it would make it more tragic. For a mother to witness her son's slaughter it would make life unbearable for her, especially since she thought most of her other children were dead.

This! :agree:

RW was an outrageous, terrible, vile, inhuman and monstrous display of the cunning of Roose, Walder and Tywin. The mere fact that they murdered their supposed allies while the music played and afterwards blamed it on the Starks makes me want to hit something. And Cat's last moments still make me shudder.

It think that if Cad had survived, she might've taken her own life. And that would've depressed the hell outta me (not that RW didn't)

RW was an outrageous, terrible, vile, inhuman and monstrous display of the cunning of Roose, Walder and Tywin. The mere fact that they murdered their supposed allies while the music played and afterwards blamed it on the Starks makes me want to hit something. And Cat's last moments still make me shudder.

It think that if Cad had survived, she might've taken her own life. And that would've depressed the hell outta me (not that RW didn't)

I disagree. Cat's tougher than people giver her credit for. Look how stoically she handled believing that Bran and Rickon were dead. No one even knew that she was so upset. Plus, she never lost it after hearing about Ned, and she loved him deeply. As long as Cat knew that Sansa was alive out there, I don't believe she would have taken her own life. She would still have hope of seeing Sansa one day, and she would want to live just in case there was any way that she could ever help Sansa.

I don't liked Cat too. She made a lot of mistakes in the name of family, even she herself starts the war by holding Tyrion without a word of warn to his beloved husband.

I think she would be a major problem If she had survived the RW, for the northerns and the riverlands. I think the best thing that could happen to her is exactly what happened

I disagree. Cat's tougher than people giver her credit for. Look how stoically she handled believing that Bran and Rickon were dead. No one even knew that she was so upset. Plus, she never lost it after hearing about Ned, and she loved him deeply. As long as Cat knew that Sansa was alive out there, I don't believe she would have taken her own life. She would still have hope of seeing Sansa one day, and she would want to live just in case there was any way that she could ever help Sansa.

Seeing Robb die was the final straw that broke the camel's back after all the extreme hardship and mental blows Catelyn had suffered already.

I think that she would have died regardless of whether she was murdered. He sister was insane, he brother would also be prisoner, her husband and children murdered/missing presumed dead, her uncle and the other Riverlords doomed unless they bend the knee to the people who are responsible to most of her misery. She has nothing to live for, she would most likely kill herself rather than giving the satisfaction of tormenting her to the Freys and Lannisters. Starve herself, attempt to seize a weapon from someone; I honestly don't think she would have lived for long after the RW.

Bringing her back as Lady Stoneheart was, in my opinion, one of the cruellest things that Beric/Thoros and the BwB did. I suppose it may have given her some measure of peace to know her children weren't dead, but seriously; why bring back such a poor, tormented woman?

Seeing Robb die was the final straw that broke the camel's back after all the extreme hardship and mental blows Catelyn had suffered already.

We'll never know for sure because it didn't happen that way, but it's possible that the mental break was temporary. She knows that Sansa is alive, and given Cat's selflessness when it comes to her children, I think that she would have forced herself to survive in case Sansa ever needed her. Also, she doesn't know what happened to Arya, so she would still have hope of reuniting with Arya as well.

I think that she would have died regardless of whether she was murdered. He sister was insane, he brother would also be prisoner, her husband and children murdered/missing presumed dead, her uncle and the other Riverlords doomed unless they bend the knee to the people who are responsible to most of her misery. She has nothing to live for, she would most likely kill herself rather than giving the satisfaction of tormenting her to the Freys and Lannisters. Starve herself, attempt to seize a weapon from someone; I honestly don't think she would have lived for long after the RW.

Bringing her back as Lady Stoneheart was, in my opinion, one of the cruellest things that Beric/Thoros and the BwB did. I suppose it may have given her some measure of peace to know her children weren't dead, but seriously; why bring back such a poor, tormented woman?

Unless she knew that all of her children were dead, or if she really had completely lost her mind, I don't believe Cat would ever take her own life. It would go against her belief in family, duty, and honor to do do.

Robb is a beloved character, I was more sad for him, than for Cat

I don't hate her, but I don't like her much either

She was a loyal wife and a good mother, but as Jon is my favourite character, I hated when she implicated with him

I think if she survived the plot would change, but it would not be less depressing

Robb is a beloved character, I was more sad for him, than for Cat

I don't hate her, but I don't like her much either

She was a loyal wife and a good mother, but as Jon is my favourite character, I hated when she implicated with him

I think if she survived the plot would change, but it would not be less depressing

I understand this is your opinion, but how come Robb is a beloved character to you, when we don't even have a POV for him? just curious, not critiquing :)

Archived