Terms that are thrown a round

JonathanTheBold

so.........if we're passed the "atrocity" atrocity, I'd like to submit "defenestration" as a word that is thrown around not nearly enough. Since we actually have a word that means "the act of throwing someone out a window," it's kind of a shame not to take advantage of that given our ample excuses to in this series.

Wonder if there's a word for throwing someone in through a window. Definstration?

Yes, this is the conclusion one should make after reading any of my posts.

Which word, fool? You must be specific about these things. Defenestration is a serious and atrocious offense (unless it's from a ground floor window, then that's a reasonable method of egress and totally fine), so one must know exactly what word is to be spoken and utilize a specific definition of that word, determined by the defenestrated.

Defenestration is actually historical political means: http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pra%C5%BEsk%C3%A1_defenestrace_(1618)

You can test your level of understanding foreign languages, as, sadly, the page does not exist in English :P

Which word, fool? You must be specific about these things. Defenestration is a serious and atrocious offense (unless it's from a ground floor window, then that's a reasonable method of egress and totally fine), so one must know exactly what word is to be spoken and utilize a specific definition of that word, determined by the defenestrated.

Good lord. Ok, if we really need to get technical here, defenestration was a just a form of political protest for a time. People didn't often get hurt. It was a way of showing you were pissed off. So....yea.

Wonder if there's a word for throwing someone in through a window. Definstration?

Like crashing through a skylight Mission Impossible style? Probably infenestration. Which isn't a word.

Like crashing through a skylight Mission Impossible style? Probably infenestration. Which isn't a word.

Well it wasn't a word until you just coined it bumps. Must dig out my mission impossible dvd, shame they went all Hollywood with that infenestration.

Well it wasn't a word until you just coined it bumps. Must dig out my mission impossible dvd, shame they went all Hollywood with that infenestration.

Must be something like Pratchett's inhumation/exhumation or inquisition/exquisition. Pretty creeps concepts :-)

You have dvd of Mission Impossible? Now, if the meaning hasn't be taken, I would call this atrocious :)

I dare say this conversation has now gone completely widdershins from the OP's intent.

You're right. Let's get back to it.

A term I see thrown around that shouldn't is "compassionate" when used to describe Benjen. It's the wrong word to use. A more apt description would be "awesome", in that he inspires great admiration and fear, or "atrocious", in that he is horrifyingly wicked and mad with power. He's a deeply terrible person and calling him compassionate demeans the truly compassionate characters in the series, like Sansa, Jon, Dany, Ned, or Hot Pie.

He should be Olenna Tyrelled (to be tossed off a cliff or wall).

A term I see thrown around that shouldn't is "compassionate" when used to describe Benjen. It's the wrong word to use. A more apt description would be "awesome", in that he inspires great admiration and fear, or "atrocious", in that he is horrifyingly wicked and mad with power. He's a deeply terrible person and calling him compassionate demeans the truly compassionate characters in the series, like Sansa, Jon, Dany, Ned, or Hot Pie.

Benjen inspires admiration and fear? With his absence, I imagine...

BTW, I tried to E-Roed you... I failed

To E-Ro (someone) = change the name in quote box

Indeed, if we're going to go back to the ASoIaF text for more words that are tragically underused where applicable, then we must comment on Robert Baratheon's crapulous countenance, the amount of twattle that LF and Varys must listen to on a daily basis in KL, the absolute monsterful displays of sharp-tongued barbs delivered by the Queen of Thorns, all on top of Tyrion's continued fuzzling a continent away, while the quockerwodger sits on the IT and wants to outlaw beets.

Indeed, if we're going to go back to the ASoIaF text for more words that are tragically underused where applicable, then we must comment on Robert Baratheon's crapulous countenance, the amount of twattle that LF and Varys must listen to on a daily basis in KL, the absolute monsterful displays of sharp-tongued barbs delivered by the Queen of Thorns, all on top of Tyrion's continued fuzzling a continent away, while the quockerwodger sits on the IT and wants to outlaw beets.

No term has been more misused and tragically misunderstood than betrayal... Especially when it comes to Sansa/Ned situation...

Shhh... that's like pressing the Dark Mark. You-Know-Who is going to show up if you keep talking about that.

edit: Just read my sig... I am Gryffindor sword for Horcruxes of Sansa hate...

You're right. Let's get back to it.

He should be Olenna Tyrelled (to be tossed off a cliff or wall).

Am I wrong to say your single-minded purpose over the last couple of months has been to excoriate Benjen Stark for the atrocities he has perpetuated? To this end, I submit "depredation" as a word that is dismally underused on this forum, and in particular, irt to your analysis of Benjen. As per the OP's stipulation that we ought to use words that are the most precise and most well-calibrated for what we need to say in any given post, I'm disappointed in you. Benjen's "depredations" are the fulfillment of his insidious intentions from the outset. Jesus, DP.

Archived