Do the Velaryons commit incest?

Sansa_Stark

How do they still have such strong Valyrian features even after 300 years?

Do they just find brides in the free cities, or do Valyrian houses in general not looked down upon if they commit incest.

Incestuous marriage is a Valyrian custom so I think they will still practice it,

There are noble families in Lys and in Volantis. The only one high enough to have an affair with a king was Serenei of Lys. I am sure that there are many low profile highborn carrying the blood of old Valyria. Besides not all the Targaryen women married to a Targaryen. Some certainly married with other noble houses including Velaryons. Their descendants can supply proper matches for keeping Valyrian features pure enough.

ETA: If they do carry incest, I am sure they are allowed by the Royal House because Targaryen's are using them for backup. When the king does not have a sister to marry, second alternative is always a Velaryon if any exists.

There are noble families in Lys and in Volantis. The only one high enough to have an affair with a king was Serenei of Lys.

Aegon IV had affairs with a lot of women, highborn and low. I don't think social rank factored into it most of the time.

Always wondered this. I'm guessing there just was a lot of cousin marriages and a few marriages with Targs.

Also, do we have any idea if the Blackfyre descendants practiced incest?

I don't think theres any mention of female Blackfyres in D&E only of his sons but presumanly Maelys the Monstrous was the child (or Grandchild potentially) of one such union.

And I'm pretty sure the Velaryons and Celtigars do given that a bastard like Aurane Waters still has strong Valyrian features enough to be mistaken for Rhaegar (even momentarily)

According to this SSM, the Valyrians/Targaryens did practise incest but to my understanding it was not common.

In reference to Aegon I:

He later married both his sisters, Visenya and Rhaenys. This was considered unusual although there was precedent for it.

Might be talking about polygamy being uncommon, not incest.

Might be talking about polygamy being uncommon, not incest.

I think you may be right.

Pre Doom, I speculate that incest was not common because the dragonlords of the Valyrian empire could have intermarried to preserve the "blood of the dragon." Post doom incest became common practice amongst the Targs since they were the only surviving dragonlords.

I think you may be right.

Pre Doom, I speculate that incest was not common because the dragonlords of the Valyrian empire could have intermarried to preserve the "blood of the dragon." Post doom incest became common practice amongst the Targs since they were the only surviving dragonlords.

Good thinking. Post Doom they were short on suitors.

Archived